Author Topic: Ad hoc cooling rig  (Read 876 times)

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
Ad hoc cooling rig
« on: August 08, 2001, 08:22:00 AM »
Being the eternal tinkerer has some draw-backs and perks; a new cooling system idea being proof of this. Parts list:

1) Dremel with various bits and attachments
2) High-speed fan, like you plug in to the wall
3) Drill with 1-inch hole cutter, 1/8 inch drill bit for plastic
4) Pop-rivet gun
5) Flexible plastic duct pipe, or flexible vacuum hose
6) Piece of sheet plastic 4 by 4 inches, 1/8 inch thick
7) One 4-inch long screw with wingnut
8) Roll of duct tape

Step by step:

• Pop the side panel of your case off and mark out a hole that isn't near ANYTHING. Once you've got a likely spot marked, break out your drill and cut that sucker open.
  • Cut a hole through the 4x4 plastic sheet that's one inch smaller in diameter than your chosen hose/ducting.
  • Slice several fracture lines in the inside of your freshly cut hole and bend the "petals" out. Use the Dremel to cut the plastic, trim to length, and also to de-burr the "petals".
  • Pop-rivet the plastic sheet to the outside of your case panel. Do it to the inside and you might melt it, or you might not be able to get the thing back on! Slide your hose inside the "petals" that are sticking out and line it up. Once you're set, drill a hole through both the "petals" and hose.
  • Run the screw through the hole and fix it in place using a wingnut. This will let you remove the hose if for some reason you have to get under the hood.
  • Duct tape the other end of your hose to the fan, completely sealing off the ass-end of it. This will allow only hot air from inside your computer to be drawn in the fan.
  • Start the fan before you start your system.
Say you wanted to just replace the stock cooling fan in the rear. No problem...
  • Remove the stock fan and use a Dremel to cut out the case grills.
  • Cut your plastic sheet so it fits inside the hole formerly occupied by your fan, remembering to cut "petals" in it.
  • Drill through both "petals" and hose with a 1/8 inch bit making sure the "petals" are on the outside of the hose. If they are on the inside you'll never know if you properly secured them. Secure in place with a long screw and a wingnut.
  • Tape the other end of your hose to a high-speed fan, remembering to seal the rear off. You don't want any air leaks.
  • Turn the fan on before starting your system.

Or maybe you've got a free expansion slot right near that toasty vid card?

• Cut a V-notch out of one end of flexible ducting and cram it inside the empty slot. Make sure you leave about 2 inches between the ducting and the vid card processor.
  • Slice a circular piece from the other end and lay it over the top of your fan, taping it in place. Use anything you want to stuff up any area that isn't covered by the ducting. Air leaks are bad.
  • Plug the fan in and try it out!

And the perk is you've now got a two-way cooling unit. With the flip of a switch (depending on fan model) you can either suck air out of your system, or blow air in. Throw a piece of fine mesh over the face of your fan to prevent dust from being sucked inside. You don't need a system short thanks to a dust bunny! No, I haven't done this to my computer nor do I plan on it. I simply thought that maybe I've got an idea here to cool off a hot-running system. After all, if you cut that hole, or cram the hose in, near your vid card it'll either blow cool air on it or suck that load of hot air out! Heheheh, told you I was a tinkerer.....now where'd I put those tin snips?

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]
Delta Six's Flight School
Put the P-61B in Aces High
"For yay did the sky darken, and split open and spew forth fire, and
through the smoke rode the Four Wurgers of the Apocalypse.
And on their canopies was tattooed the number of the Beast, and the
number was 190." Jedi, Verse Five, Capter Two, The Book of Dweeb

[ 08-08-2001: Message edited by: flakbait ]

Offline mason22

• Gold Member
Ad hoc cooling rig
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2001, 01:50:00 PM »
got pics?

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
Ad hoc cooling rig
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2001, 03:31:00 PM »
If we could get "Gilligan" to proovide pedal power for the fan that would be top notch!

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Ad hoc cooling rig
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2001, 07:58:00 PM »
I have actually heard of people cutting out the front of their cases and hooking up a dryer hose (flexible plastic hose) to it.  They then get a round fan (on of the type designed to go into pipes) and then put the other end of the hose near an air conditioner or cooling vent.  Seems like a lot of work to me to get that last 100 Mhz out of your system.

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
Ad hoc cooling rig
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2001, 08:07:00 PM »
I just open the top, empty bay, then periodically throw in ice cubes.

Offline MrBill

• Nickel Member
Ad hoc cooling rig
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2001, 08:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by Fatty:
I just open the top, empty bay, then periodically throw in ice cubes.

And if a little Jack Daniel's remains on the ice cubes alcohol evaporation aids the cooling also.  :D
We do not stop playing because we grow old
We grow old because we stop playing

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
Ad hoc cooling rig
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2001, 05:22:00 AM »
Mason I didn't do anything yet, it was just an idea to cool off a system. A 40mm case fan moves probably 1/10th the air a nice high-speed fan does, plus you can blow air in or suck it out depending on how hot it's running. Sure it looks like crap, but it works!

PS: note the yet

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]
Delta Six's Flight School
Put the P-61B in Aces High
"With all due respect Chaplian, I don't think my maker wants to hear from me right now. I'm gonna go out there and remove one of His creations from this universe.
And when I get back I'm gonna drink a bottle of Scotch like it was Chiggy von
Richthofen's blood and celebrate his death."
Col. McQueen, Space: Above and Beyond

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
Ad hoc cooling rig
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2001, 08:41:00 PM »
on my old system i had alot of heat issues.
i just went to the local salvage store and bought a 4-1/2" 12v fan (looks like it came from an old 'main-frame' case)
  then cut a hole to mach in the side of the left side of the case(near the pci and agp cards)
  i then hooked it to a 12v transformer with a toggle switch mounted on my desk.
 then pulled off an empty drive cover for exaust
 solved my heating problems with a total cost of $9.50 ($5 for the transformer and $4.50 for the fan)

btw- the heavy exaust flow out the front of the tower was great for simulating propwash in the RB3d sim. almost needed goggles

[ 08-09-2001: Message edited by: capt. apathy ]