Author Topic: Whatever happened to this popular OD 370th FG P-38 skin?  (Read 9533 times)

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
Re: Whatever happened to this popular OD 370th FG P-38 skin?
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2010, 05:49:55 PM »
I've looked in to it and it didn't look like it was possible without putting up with some real ugly parts on the top and bottom. I'd be happy to be proven wrong though.

I fooled around with it for a bit and this is what I came up with.

Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Little Dragon

• Copper Member
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2010, 05:51:50 PM »
The Japanese planes have very few skins available, and that is why we were more forgiving abd allowed similar skins into the game.  If someone did a really different skin, it would find its way into the game instantly as I have no qualms about dropping a skins which is identical save for the serial number on the plane.

The Japanese planes have very few skins available, and that is why we were more forgiving and allowed similar skins into the game.  If someone did a really different skin, it would find its way into the game instantly as I have no qualms about dropping a skins which is identical save for the serial number on the plane.

Fixed.    :aok
 :neener:
Captain of the 125th Spartan Warriors--- SWkiljoy
I just noticed something.....
No wonder Grizz is so good. Living in virtual world must be way more exciting than living in Lincoln Nebraska.

Online lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2010, 07:13:15 PM »

Not to bad at all :aok

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2010, 07:22:27 PM »

That doesn't look too shabby.  :aok
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2010, 07:38:21 PM »
I can't say I really have a place in this discussion other than the fact that I run through here every so often and see the absolutely amazing work the skinners do.  Trust me gents when I say I have a lot of respect for not only your hard work, dedication to detail, research, and artistry.  But also your continuing contributions to the community and the game.

I'm probably going to get punched in the head for this but I'm curious.  We have a volunteer staff for almost everything in the game why not pick a volunteer staff of skinners to keep on top of not only needs to be done but the skin rotation?

Sure the staff and HTC will catch some grief but what change gets made to the game without some wailing and gnashing of teeth?

Skinners I can't speak for you guys but it's just an idea in passing..

And no I don't have a skin in mind I want made.  I'll fly anything so long as its not predominately pink.  Highlights are okay ;)
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2010, 06:36:16 AM »
I can't say I really have a place in this discussion other than the fact that I run through here every so often and see the absolutely amazing work the skinners do.  Trust me gents when I say I have a lot of respect for not only your hard work, dedication to detail, research, and artistry.  But also your continuing contributions to the community and the game.

I'm probably going to get punched in the head for this but I'm curious.  We have a volunteer staff for almost everything in the game why not pick a volunteer staff of skinners to keep on top of not only needs to be done but the skin rotation?

Sure the staff and HTC will catch some grief but what change gets made to the game without some wailing and gnashing of teeth?

Skinners I can't speak for you guys but it's just an idea in passing..

And no I don't have a skin in mind I want made.  I'll fly anything so long as its not predominately pink.  Highlights are okay ;)

Sound idea, Dichotomy.   Wouldn't have to be just skinners, either.  Guys like Guppy and lyric really help skinners out alot and have great WWII aviation knowledge.   +1 on this idea.   :aok

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2010, 02:46:50 PM »
I don't skin anymore and just did that to see if it was possible. If one of you want to use it for a skin Id be more then happy to send it to you.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Online lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2010, 03:12:00 PM »
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 03:15:01 PM by lyric1 »

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2010, 05:46:36 PM »
I have but Iv just never gotten around to submitting it.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2010, 09:43:58 PM »
Skuzzy,

If you really want my honest opinion, I think that every customer should be able to download as many skins he/she wants in their computer. I would make every possible skin available to download- no limit whatsoever. Take it from a MS Flight Sim perspective. There are hundreds, if not, thousands, of skins and planes to download from the Internet. I think the player should have the choice of downloading any skin they would like. Less pressure on your part, as you don't have to worry about squad COs bickering and whining because their favorite skin got rotated out. In this regard, all skins would be made available from the downloads page of the website.

It really is not fair that many great skinners have beautiful plane profiles submitted, only to hear that their skin submission will take years to be rotated in the game. And that's IF it does.

Yes, you may hear people whine because their game is running like crap because they have every possible skin ever made downloaded in their computer. But seriously, who's fault is that? It's their fault. Not HTC's. They can delete any unused skins that they don't want. It's common sense. It would improve their computer performance that way if they took a little bit of time to carefully select which skins they would like downloaded.
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline Knite

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2010, 12:17:35 PM »
Skuzzy,

If you really want my honest opinion, I think that every customer should be able to download as many skins he/she wants in their computer. I would make every possible skin available to download- no limit whatsoever. Take it from a MS Flight Sim perspective. There are hundreds, if not, thousands, of skins and planes to download from the Internet. I think the player should have the choice of downloading any skin they would like. Less pressure on your part, as you don't have to worry about squad COs bickering and whining because their favorite skin got rotated out. In this regard, all skins would be made available from the downloads page of the website.

It really is not fair that many great skinners have beautiful plane profiles submitted, only to hear that their skin submission will take years to be rotated in the game. And that's IF it does.

Yes, you may hear people whine because their game is running like crap because they have every possible skin ever made downloaded in their computer. But seriously, who's fault is that? It's their fault. Not HTC's. They can delete any unused skins that they don't want. It's common sense. It would improve their computer performance that way if they took a little bit of time to carefully select which skins they would like downloaded.

Hey Plaz,

I see what you're saying, and a large part of me does agree with you, however, when I put my "IT" hat on, I have to side with HTC in having limits. Now, how those limits are done are completely up for discussion, but the type of "free reign" you describe could cause some serious negative side effects. Here are some examples :

#1. Technical Support. You mention some computers running slow. Skuzzy already gets quite a few of these performance issues "trouble tickets". By opening up any # of skins, not only will the support needs rise, but the difficulty in troubleshooting the performance issues arrise. You may just think that it's as simple as make one of the trouble shooting steps "delete the skins folder", but in reality, people will sometimes lie about things they do / do not do during a troubleshooting process (especially if they don't see the benefiet to doing so) which increases the complexity greatly. Also, even if you ignore possible performance increase of trouble, you also have the increase of trouble requests due to people improprly installing skins, installing bad skins, etc.

#2. Uneven playing field. Putting this control in the hands of the end users means it's garunteed that people will use this to gain unfair competitive advantage. People would be making opponent skins completely bright and neon visible, and possibly even alter the textures themselves with a fully transparent alpha channel allowing them to see through their cockpit, for a "guncam" like view.

#3. Inconsistency in visibility. You explain one reason you want this is so that COs no longer would have to be upset their skins aren't in the game. Well, technically, NO ONE'S skins will be in the game. You'd be able to pick your own aircraft skin, but how would someone else's computer have any idea what skin you're using? Try to match file name? What if two skinners used the same file name accidentally? use some sort of file hash? Introducing added complexity. As it stands right now, if you're flying a P38 of the 475th, EVERYONE that sees skins other than default sees the exact same aircraft.

#4. Image hit to HTC / no quality control. With no "central method" of administering skins, yes, a lot more people would be able to see their stuff in game. But there's also the problem of quality. Lots of low quality (or as above stated, "cheated") skins would make it into circulation, and youtube videos and such would be made with these low quality skins hurting Aces High's reputation.

#5. Development resources. From the way I understand things (and I could be incorrect), the way skins are tied into aircraft right now is a very tight/integrated system, that's far beyond just a database saying skin P51D-#12 = xxxxx skin. Skuzzy has alluded to this in statements describing the difficulty of replacing skins and rotating them through rotation. This would require a complete revamp of their current aircraft and GV texture structure, which I would venture a guess would be a large undertaking for a relatively small team.

Like I said Plaz, I don't completely dissagree with you, but you have to weight the benefits against the detriments (and I've only given quick examples I can think of), and I'm not sure enough benefit would be there.
Knite

39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"

I'm basically here to lower the 39th's score :P

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2010, 05:15:56 PM »
I like Plaz's idea too, but Knite points out some significant issues.   Though as far as quality goes, the current system rewards those who rush to complete skins and can effectively lock out those who take more time to develop and submit a higher quality skin.   

I understand HTC wanting to keep skin management and control centralized, but it appears the current system is overwhelmed.  A delay of a year or more to get a skin in the game is sure to drive away skinners who don't want to or are unable to rush through skin creation, and that will be everyone's loss.   Even when submitting skins for an a/c with open slots, a time lag of 6 months or more after submission to get it in game can be just agonizing.    And if errors occur in the submission process, it can mean re-submitting and waiting for the next skin release - again discouraging.

I'd like to see Skuzzy be given the time to implement his proposed changes to streamline skin management, so hopefully it will be very easy for him to rotate skins in and out of the game, maybe on a quarterly basis.  I'd like to see a facility where "Hall of Fame" quality skins, or those that see consistent heavy use or are used by squads remain permanently in game.   I'd like to eliminate email as a submission method and go to uploading/downloading skins from HTC's website.   Here, skinners could upload their skin with promo screenshots, and HTC could download and evaluate (and even track progress of the skin at the website - e.g. "Under Review", "Rejected-reason xxxxxxxxx", "Accepted", or "Currently in-game").   Everybody could see what skins have been submitted and what their status is. 

And I think it'd be cool to see a couple more P-51 models in the game alleviate the competition for slots and make the current 51 skins more historically accurate.   I think the '51 particularly suffers in this regard.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2010, 08:49:46 AM »
<--- Still think HT Skinners Staff is the way to go

anybody approach them about it yet?
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline dev1ant

• Copper Member
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2010, 10:40:57 PM »
Maybe it's just me but I think sorting through the skins, and making sure that they are all of the highest quality and getting rid of the ones that aren't would make a significant difference in the game.  Some of the work I've seen done here recently is simply amazing, and it's a shame it's not a priority to get it into the game.
Deviant

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2010, 08:23:30 PM »
You stray into a totally subjective field, whereas one person on a jury can sway 11 other people one way or the other, a single person on a "skin approval team" can for any myriad of personal reasons reject an otherwise perfect skin.

I don't like the idea.