Author Topic: Help Please  (Read 769 times)

Offline MrBill

• Nickel Member
Help Please
« on: August 11, 2001, 01:28:00 AM »
Building a machine for a friend.
Set this sucker up, checked post, all ok. Popped in the win2k cd, created a 10240 meg partition formatted to HPFS and did the install. all went well till it said remove the cd and reboot the system.  Booted to the bsod and froze had to unplug the power supply to shut it down.  changed bios to default, optimal settings, and best performance settings, no effect. created a 10240 FAT 32 partition and reloaded win2k went through all the above on that install, same results ... bsod.
booted OS/2 from CD and reformatted HD then exited (did not install OS/2).  Installed win98se and formatted the HD as a single partition in fat32 all worked fine.  Loaded the MB utilities upgraded the bios, dled and installed all win98 critical updates, loaded the latest ATI drivers machine running nice.
Popped in the win2k CD and did a complete new install final boot TA DA BSOD.  I have to be missing something, but I can not see it, any ideas?  Help Please.  
American Megatrends M817LMR MB with ALI M1647 chipset
200 or 266 fsb
UDMA 100
512 cas 2 sdram
IBM deskstar 40 gig
dvd drive
floppy
onboard codac97
AMD 1ghz cpu
realtek lan on board
We do not stop playing because we grow old
We grow old because we stop playing

Offline qts

• Nickel Member
      • None yet
Help Please
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2001, 04:29:00 AM »
Are you sure you're loading the UDMA drivers at the right point? You've got about 2 seconds when W2000 is booting to press F6.

Alternatively, move the HDDs over to the IDE port, install from there, then install the UDMA100 driver, adjust Boot.Ini, shutdown, and move the HDDs to the UDMA100 port.

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Help Please
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2001, 11:08:00 AM »
Was it just a typo when you put HPFS?  Win2k requires either NTFS (best) or FAT32 (ok for dual boot) partitions.

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Help Please
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2001, 11:15:00 AM »
OH, one more thing.  It's not possible to install windows 2000 with ATI Xpert 2000 or Xpert 128 cards in.  You have to use another (like a cheap PCI one) and then install the ATI after Windows 2000 is installed.

Offline MrBill

• Nickel Member
Help Please
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2001, 11:18:00 AM »
Oh right ntfs. it was 1:30 am and I had been working on the dern thing since 10 am.  Losing sight of the forest ... trees in the way.  ;)

Offline MrBill

• Nickel Member
Help Please
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2001, 11:26:00 AM »
Card is a ATI 32meg rage pro that I gave him.  It worked fine when I built my system and installed win2k??  I'll pop in my old Mystique and give it a try.  How do I reformat the HDD with windows I get the option booting from the OS/2 cd but cant find it when booting from either win cd?
Trying hard to get a wingman.  :D

[ 08-11-2001: Message edited by: MrBill ]

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Help Please
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2001, 02:02:00 PM »
Make what's called a startup disk.  You boot from the floppy drive and type format c: (or whatever drive letter it is.)  If you have a running win98 system you can go to the add/remove programs in control panel and the startup disk creator is found in the windows components area.

Windows 2000 has a utility to make a series of 4 setup disks.  Just pop a win2k cd into a windows system and go to run and type d:\bootdisk\makeboot a:  You are going to need 4 disks for this.

Offline MrBill

• Nickel Member
Help Please
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2001, 01:05:00 PM »
Much Grass Bloom25
The Mystique solved the BSOD prob 2K was hung on the lan card install after putting in the Mystique it finished the new hardware install and booted normally.
Found a old win 95 boot disk and the reformat went like a charm, thanx.