Author Topic: Why So Serious?  (Read 1519 times)

Offline RoGenT

• Silver Member
Why So Serious?
« on: May 20, 2010, 09:12:41 AM »
Okay I just got bored in the game being it was slow. I decided to jump in here to ask the universal question of on why people are “so serious” and get   :mad: when it comes to the game and when things don’t go their way.  :mad:  I admit, I myself have stirred the pot few times and even I’ve had days I should just practice foot in mouth. One example was just little while ago, and I won’t say names. Whenever I fight someone and win, if I see the apparent mistake they made, I will comment it on 200 or by private messenger if they are not tuned in 200.  I caught this person in a climb and scored some good hits before he quick snap roll/stir, I overshot and pulled up since I had good E and  :pray he didn't hit me but thankfully he was not  :neener:  I looped    :airplane: over and saw him completely stalled out  :joystick: and crashed. :eek: I didn’t say it as announcement or even as attempt to egg him on; I simply pointed out his mistake and he completely flips out over it.   :furious I was going to compliment him on his flying but decided not to. In short, why is it people get so prissy over a game?  :headscratch:
:salute Your fellow pony dweeb today!
Offical Knight Morale Officer
#1 Punk Knight on Vtards Hit List
Proud Pig!

Offline Sperky

• Copper Member
Re: Why So Serious?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 09:41:25 AM »
I'm gonna go out on a limb here... I'd guess that some people would perceive your suggestions as a form of gloating or ego boosting.  Understandably, your intentions are good and I'm sure that folks would enjoy the opportunity to improve their game and learn about their mistakes.  But, I bet that some folks also know when and how they gave up the advantage and are just ticked at themselves for allowing it to happen.

Best way to avoid the angry response of your victims?  Don't offer advice, wait for them to ask.  I'm sure you have other things you enjoy about  the wonderful game of AH, don't let your enjoyment of the game be ruined by a few angry folks.

:salute
Taco Cat spelled backward is Taco Cat

Offline druski85

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 09:44:27 AM »
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=emotesation

Couldn't tell you, but I wouldn't worry about them too much. 

:D

Offline Sperky

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 09:48:16 AM »
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=emotesation

Couldn't tell you, but I wouldn't worry about them too much. 

:D
:rofl  Wonder if someone could write an entire story in "emotesation"...any takers?
Taco Cat spelled backward is Taco Cat

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 09:58:02 AM »
Sometimes I wonder why people get so serious about this game. I think the main conclusion comes down to the fact that those certain individuals spend 24 hours a day playing a game and not going outside and enjoying the weather and excersising. They just have too much time on their hands.

Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline AApache

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 10:10:52 AM »
5 WORDS !!!  Wait for them to ask !!!

:salute   Offer a salute and keep it moving. Extra commentary as innocent and positive as it may be can often be mistaken as gloating by the one who just had a 20mm sandwich with extra Mayo !!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 10:15:53 AM by AApache »
"WE WEREN'T ASSIGNED WE WERE REQUESTED"....Lt.Col.Benjamin O. Davis of the Tuskegee Airmen 

https://youtu.be/B2sDNT91Rzw

https://youtu.be/KaufhZv84Gk

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 10:14:51 AM »
I believe that some get on AH just to have a beer fly around with their squaddies and don't really care about ACM or what they did or didn't do wrong.  If they up a plane with the group and get a kill before they die they've accomplished what they wanted to do.  I think the majority fit in this category or we'd have a whole lot more in the koth's then just about 40 or so people.  

I accept advise and use it constructively but I believe their is just a few of us out there that is looking to improve ACM everytime we up a plane IMO.  
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 10:55:44 AM »
Detune 200 and don't ever PM me I don't care  :old:

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 11:27:23 AM »
I can see where getting destroyed by Rogent's P51 might tick someone off, I know it does that to me :(

But some guys really look at it as war it seems, and work up a frothing hatred of the other side.  And also some guys *think* they're so good they don't have to take advice from anyone, especially the last guy who shot them down.  Me I'll take any advice I can get - a lot of the little I know I learned from PMs in the arena.

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 12:26:40 PM »
I have a full day and then some of stuff that really matters. AH isn't on that list.  Its fun as heck, but actually getting mad, sad, embarrassed, frustrated, etc, etc at a video game isn't for me.   I may be briefly disappointed when I get killed or screw up a fight I could have won, but its with a smile on my face. 

That said, I understand that for some folks AH is a more serious pass time and that fact combined with certain personality traits adds up to "real" frustration for some.

Its like most other "fun" activities.  Some guys wrap their $400 driver around a tree when they shank one into the pond, and other guys laugh, drop it back in their bag and quickly get back to the real task at hand which is making sure the beer cart girl doesn't pass you by.

Hmmm...beer carts.... off to the wish list section  ;)
AMAX  in game

Offline Corrs

• Silver Member
      • TAC Drivers
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 12:35:18 PM »
I take AH as serious as I take this guy, my hero   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3eNx0LBrmY&feature=related    :D
Corrs
The Flying Circus
Head of The Flying Circus Numbnutz Clown Union since 2000
FSO 334th FS Corrs's Nose Art
WARNING: Keep smiley's out of reach of Corrs

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 12:44:55 PM »
I take AH as serious as I take this guy, my hero   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3eNx0LBrmY&feature=related    :D
:rofl  Got yah JUDY chop, there goes your leg. It's hard out there for a 1 legged ninja. :rofl
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 12:45:33 PM »
today we are anonymous players. you cant see me, i cant see you.

therefore the mentality is that i can say anything i want, cause you don't know me, you don't know where i live and that's that.

people can hide behind a computer. if you knew that the player calling you a dork, was little jonny renfield from down the street you would go beat the snot out of him and he probably wouldnt do it in the first place cause he knows you would. but as long as you only know him as mebigbwana, there is nothing you or anyone else(except for skuzzy) can do about it! thats why they get so serious, cause they can!

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 12:49:52 PM »
Bad manners.  It was not always so.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 01:02:23 PM »
Sometimes it's how you offer the advice.  Just jumping right in to "don't do this" or "you did that wrong" is much more provoking than starting with "can I offer a friendly observation?"

If they say, "no," you drop it.  If they say "yes," you elaborate.  If they start yelling at you for asking if you can offer them an observation, they aren't worth the time it would take to type it out.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group