Author Topic: 300w Power Supply question  (Read 596 times)

Offline Hamish

• Copper Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
300w Power Supply question
« on: November 25, 2000, 06:18:00 PM »
I just got a new case for my computer at a computer show, and I get a warning message now when booting up about the -5v lead. it's running at -6.02 volts. As i upgraded from a 235w to a 300w P.S. i don' know if this is unusual for the Power Supply or not. Any one got any advice? I've been running it for a week now with no unusual lock-ups or anything burning up, so it seems fine. Am i going to burn up the MB and CPU this way?

thanks

Hamish!

TheWobble

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2000, 10:03:00 PM »
A little too much power wont hurt ya as long as it is going to a place that can handel it,
Im running an 800 Athalon and I am SUPPOSED to have a 300w power supply but I use a 250 and i have never had any problems, my point is that these things are tougher than they let on, im sure your well within operating peramiters.

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2000, 12:52:00 AM »
That negative 5 volt lead *may* not even be used for anything in your system.  I have a monitoring utility on my system and I have -5 and -12 monitoring disabled for that very reason.  Most powersupplies will show a higher voltage (higher in magnitude would be a better term) with no load applied.  This reading doesn't seem too far beyond normal regardless.  The *CRITICAL* voltages are the Vcore (between 1.5 and 3V depending on cpu type and speed), +3v, +5v, and also to a lesser extent +12v.  You do not want any fluctuations (<+-.05 v or so) on the vcore and I'd only allow minor changes on the others as well.  

------------------
bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS