Author Topic: tempermental screen/graphics card  (Read 556 times)

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
tempermental screen/graphics card
« on: June 07, 2010, 04:22:52 PM »
Hi all
just throwing this out there in case anyone knows exactly whats going on. About a year ago I turned on my computer and the screen didn't recognise that the computer was on ( just stayed dark and the power light didn't change from orange to blue ) I unplugged things, wiggled them, cleaned them and plugged them all back in again, still no joy. Then almost casually as I walked past I flicked it on and it all worked, this is starting to happen more often, getting up to and over 50% of the time and there seems to be no lowest common denominator as to when it fires up, it seems completely random to me. Now I leave it turned on as much as possible but thats not really the solution and its starting to p1ss me right off. Any ideas?
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
Re: tempermental screen/graphics card
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 04:35:44 PM »
My daughters monitor has this problem...well sounds the same...with hers it is the cable from box to monitor it has a dodgy wire/crimp/.....I have to move the cable to a point where what ever connection has lost it's solid connection touches and taped it in place (side of the monitor)...one day I will get her a new cable  :lol :lol :lol
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 05:03:21 PM by SPKmes »

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 04:47:51 PM »
I forgot to mention that it works if its not plugged into the graphics card. I'll try the cord replacement when I get home.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline Gryffin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 06:26:30 PM »
I was in the same boat at SPKmes. Similar symptoms that turned out to be a dodgy cable. I would start there, as it is the easiest/cheapest thing to test

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 07:37:46 AM »
Watch the hard drive LED. see if it shows the same pattern under normal operation vs when it does nada. I had similar. I could tell the thing wasn't truly firing up. Reseated cpu/memory, has been ok for month or so
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 01:19:27 PM »
I've had this in the past where it was a timing issue between the high resolution monitor and the Ati graphics card. There was a setting in the graphics driver program that fixed it. IIRC, it was a few years ago, booting into safe mode worked and let me adjust the settings.