Author Topic: AH performance using Intel based CPU & platform  (Read 735 times)

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
      • Military Surplus Collectors Forums
AH performance using Intel based CPU & platform
« on: August 22, 2000, 01:48:00 PM »
For informational and comparison purposes only, I just finished building from scratch by buying individual components, the following system:

850MHz Intel Pentium III processor
Intel SE440-BX2V (100Mhz) Motherboard with Rev 15 BIOS
256MB 133MHz SDRAM (2 DIMMS)
300 Watt Power Supply
Microsoft Windows 98SE with DirectX 7.0a
21" Hitachi display (20" viewable, 22dpi)
1.44MB 3.5" floppy drive

Motherboard based Ultra ATA-33 HD Controller
1 x 14.4GB IBM ATA-33 hard drives (7200rpm)
1 x 37.5GB IBM ATA-33 hard drive (5400rpm)
(Primary IDE as Master and Slave)

Hitachi Model 2000 DVD-ROM drive
100 Meg ZIP drive
(Seconday IDE as Master and Slave)

Creative Labs Graphics Blaster 2 (32 megs)
Creative Labs WIN Video Driver v5.3
Creative Labs "Gamer" Live PCI sound card
3COM 10/100 network interface card

It worked first time on power up and I installed Aces High v1.03.  Although I haven't played AH in over a month due to boredom with current MA only environment, I went into MA and tested FPS rates as well as system stability for about an hour.  I only over clocked the CL graphics card using their provided Game Launcher software just to the "yellow" zone so as to be conservative.  Hardware AA was set about half way for graphics card and SBA was turned ON.

I got 80-90 FPS with AH set at 1024x768 (32 bit color).  It drops to about 45-60 FPS in heavy screen activity and close up fights around bases with lots of smoke.  Important Note: Vsync was ON for this test.

System stability was perfect and no lockups or anomalies were experienced.

Regards,
Badger

Looking for a different kind of environment to discuss your favorite on-line flight simulator?
 http://www.egroups.com/group/flightsimsonline

[This message has been edited by Badger (edited 08-22-2000).]

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2000, 03:04:00 PM »

[insert large green envious smiley face]

-Westy

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2000, 01:25:00 AM »
Hi Badger,
with all that horsepower (and monitor) you should try 1280x1024 at 32bit or even 1600x1200. At those res AH is really incredible, especially at dawn/sunset. But you probably know it.
My PIII-600E@744, with 128MByte PC133 RAM, Monitor 19", and a Voodoo5500 get from 40 to 60fps at 1280x1024 at 32bit.
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
      • Military Surplus Collectors Forums
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2000, 06:22:00 AM »
Thanks gatt....

Actually, before reading your message that thought crossed my mind.

I went into AH last night with the video setting at 1280x1024 (32 bit color) and still got FPS rates in excess of 80 as well as no lower than 45-60 with heavy activity around bases etc.

I love AH's graphics, but still can't stand the current MA, late war only, shooting down same planes, F4Uc 1 pingers at 1.1k like last night (even with 54ms no-lag connect on cable), newbies mixed with immersion types (like me), and finally, a marketing philosophy that emphasizes only customer quantity not quality.  This doesn't make HTC wrong, or the guys that use the current MA dweebs, it simply reflects a software product that isn't currently designed to meet my personal needs and perhaps the needs of others with similar feelings about immersion.

I'd even be willing to pay HTC $2/hr which I'm doing now over on WB in WWII arena to enjoy the entertainment caliber I'm seeking.

At this point, I'm torn between canceling my account and coming back perhaps in the Christmas time frame to see if the product has matured more, or keeping my account to simply support HTC's further arena and software development, plus maintain the name lineage I've used for years.  By the way, I think you or Jochen asked about the WB/AH comparison I had sent into HTC for review.  I heard nothing back from them at this point, so I can only assume they don't see any redeeming marketing value in comparisons., therefore I have dropped the issue.

Regards,
Badger

Looking for a different kind of environment to discuss your favorite on-line flight simulator?
 http://www.egroups.com/group/flightsimsonline

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2000, 03:44:00 AM »
Ah Badger, I can understand you.
As I posted in the C.202 thread, I feel I'm really missing the 1940-42 war and all the stuff that come with it (play balance and Scenarios, that is).
You know, I love the AH Macchi but the perk project, the lack of an RPS and the lack of support (so far) to early war make me think about my future.
In the meantime <S>, hope to see you in the incoming Blitzkrieg.
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline mason22

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2000, 10:48:00 AM »
hey gatt,

what MB do you have? i have a PIII600E myself and was wanting to OC it. i need to get some 133ram first, but just fer grins, what MB do you have and what settings to you have it set at to OC?

thanks in advance.

-mas

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2000, 05:04:00 PM »
Hi Mason,
Now I have a Microstar BX-Master. I can run it with 124 or 133 FSB, at 744 or 800MHz respectively. SDRAM settings all at 2. No overheat at all with the Coppermine. Both GeForce DDR and Voodoo5500 are very stable at those speeds.
The BX chipset is still a very good choice IMHO, very stable and without any compatibility problem.
Be careful with OC. Small moves ...