Author Topic: blue screen; Voodoo3 2000 PCI  (Read 610 times)

Bloody

blue screen; Voodoo3 2000 PCI
« on: April 22, 2000, 04:03:00 PM »
Oops, I've gone and done something very bad.  :-(  Your assistance would be appreciated, if you know how to fix the problem.

I went into AH settings and tried to change the color settings from 16bit to 32bit.  Next thing I see, is a totally messed up screen.  All I could see was a faded blue screen; no AH clipboard or anything.  My display was stuck on that blue screen; so, I shut down my system by hitting the on/off button.

Once I rebooted, I tried getting into AH.  I saw nothing but that same faded blue screen.  I figured, "hell, i'll just re-install the game & all will be fine."  3 uninstalls, 3 reinstalls and about a dozen reboots later and still, all I see is that  faded blue screen when I load AH -- no clipboard, no tower, nothing.  (grumble   )

If anyone has any idea what I might be able to do, I would appreciate the feedback.  What really sucks is today is my first day of a weeklong "vacation" from work, and now I can't even play the game.  grrrr.

fyi: i'm using win98.  my videocard is the Voodoo3 2000 PCI.

thanks for your time.  I'm going to post this message on the AH Bulletin Board, as well.

Eagerly awaiting a solution,
Bloody
 bloody_ah@yahoo.com

Offline Ozark

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2000, 04:11:00 PM »
Bloody,

Lots of good information about this type of problem in FAQ's. You can find FAQ's in the Aces High start page. Hope it helps. Good luck.

When I try to play AH, I get a BSOD - "Blue Screen of Death."
Usually this is caused by trying to run AH with a version of Direct X older than 6.1.  Download 7.0a from
www.microsoft.com/directx.

332nd Flying Mongrels

[This message has been edited by Ozark (edited 04-22-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Ozark (edited 04-22-2000).]

Offline maik

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.jg301.de
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2000, 04:33:00 PM »
Got to ur Game directory using the Explorer.
In the Directory "SETTINGS" you find a file called "video.cfg". Open it with the editor.

Replace the line "32,ColorDebth" with "16,ColorDebth", than save and start the game new.

Maik
<JG2 Richthofen>

Bloody

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2000, 04:39:00 PM »
Thank you, Maik and Ozark.  

Just after i posted my request for help, i found this at the HTC site:

"If the game locks up after you have selected your preferences, try deleting the video.cfg file out of your Aces High settings directory and run the game again.  When you get the Select Video Card screen, choose the lowest settings, ie. 16 bit color and 640X480 resolution and try running the game again."

I appreciate both of your replies. Chock one more up for community.  

Bloody

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2000, 03:16:00 AM »
(Hehe, I wrote both of those faq paragraphs. Glad to see that I helped someone   )  Bloody, you need to know that a voodoo card cannot use a color depth greater than 16 bit.  (For some strange reason the card thinks that it can, and lets you select 24 or 32 bit.)  You just need to select a color depth of 16 bit and you will be fine.  BTW: A "blue screen of death" is when windows pops up that dark blue screen that says something usually to the effect of "A fatal exception error has occured" "press any key to continue", etc etc etc.  Usually when you see this screen after trying to start AH, it is because your version of direct x is older than 6.1.  I think I did put a paragraph in the faq about voodoo cards and their strange light blue screen.  (If not, it definately needs to be in there.   )

Let me know if you still have trouble getting it working after deleteing video.cfg and restarting AH.  (Or like Maik said, you could just edit it.)

------------------
bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS

[This message has been edited by bloom25 (edited 04-23-2000).]