Author Topic: Win2K optimum settings?  (Read 793 times)

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
Win2K optimum settings?
« on: November 15, 2001, 07:49:00 AM »
I had to re-install win2k on my laptop and lost 250 3DMarks in the process :(

Is there anything I need to look out for in the system settings to improve its performance? Like virtual memory and stuff?

I had a look at hardware setup and found that all, yes -  :eek: - all peripherals are sitting on 1 IRQ. Graphics, sound, modem, network card etc all share IRQ9. I can't see any way of changing that as the boxes in hardware setup are greyed out :(

Help anyone?

Dell Inspiron 8000 1GHz/128MB/GF2Go32MB rinning Win2K with all updates/Directx 8.1/Dell 21.83 GF2Go drivers

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Win2K optimum settings?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2001, 08:19:00 AM »
Dell Inspiron 8000 1GHz/128MB/GF2Go32MB

Beep beep beep Error Error Error ...

1st : UPGRADE MEMORY to 256 (at least) or 512 if you can memory is cheap actually
and it will be better   :)

<edit> didn't seen at 1st that it was a laptop .. memory is expensive for this computers ...

[ 11-15-2001: Message edited by: straffo ]

Offline Sancho

• Silver Member
      • http://www.56thfightergroup.com
Win2K optimum settings?
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2001, 10:21:00 AM »
don't sweat the IRQs.  Windows 2000 is designed to work with everything on one IRQ like that.  The only way to get hardware onto separate IRQs is to reinstall Win2k with "Standard PC" instead of the default "ACPI PC".  I have found no significant performance increase by doing this on my system and found my system is more stable with everything on one IRQ.  It seems unnatural if you're used to Windows 98 and earlier, but it works.  :)

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Win2K optimum settings?
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2001, 11:48:00 AM »
As straffo said, first get it to 256 megs RAM.

Then, set your virtual memory file to a min of 300 and a max of 300 to keep it from growing and fragmenting.  Best to use Win2k's defrag twice in a row before you change the paging file too.  Yes, it's already fragmented even though you just re-installed.  Defrag it twice, then set your page file up.  I'd likely defrag it again after just to be sure.  :D

Did you change your Detonator driver version at the same time as the re-install?  If so, that might be the difference you are seeing.

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
Win2K optimum settings?
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2001, 05:22:00 AM »
Thanks all - scary stuff this is looking at all devices sitting on 1 IRQ  :)

Another 128MB is a costly option on a laptop but having spent 1600 quid on my travel gaming machine my company will surely see the light and buy me extra memory  ;)

The problem with drivers is that initially I went through a long road of "drivers that came with it" and all the way through 12.xx series to get 2020 3DMarks with 21.83/85 incarnation. Then I used the laptop to see what XP was like and after re-install of W2K I put 21.83 straight on. 1780 3DMarks and not moving  :(. I also tried drivers that come with Windows update - some digitally signed crap recommended by MS. 1021 3DMarks - no thanks...)

p.s. Just noticed a link to Det Destroyer - I'll try that too...

[ 11-16-2001: Message edited by: -lynx- ]

Offline mrsid2

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Win2K optimum settings?
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2001, 07:10:00 AM »
Just in case you don't know, you can install W2k with acpi disabled by pressing F5 on the setup screen when install asks you: Press F6 if you have to install any third party scsi devices.. Then just select Standard PC from the small menu which appears soon after.

Really typical that it does NOT say anywhere to press F5 to get PC profile menu or F8 to let install choose by autodetect.

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
Win2K optimum settings?
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2001, 10:22:00 AM »
<edit> didn't seen at 1st that it was a laptop .. memory is expensive for this computers ...

Blimey!!! It's a shame the max size each of 2 slots would take is 256MB. It's so cheap - when I bought the thing they doubled the standard 64MB to 128 for free (offer of the month) to get to 256 (another 128MB stick) would cost £90. I felt guilty since the company was paying for my game machine so kept 128MB. Looked on Dell's website - 256MB stick of whatever crap they call memory would now cost me £77 - cheaper then before but still quite stiff but then I found out that they use plain Jane 144 pin SODIMMs... I bought one yesterday from Crucial for £32... Another one is coming tomorrow - I'll have 512MB laptop - yipee!  :D  :D

Anyone interested in Dell's 128MB 144 pin SODIMM - drop me a line with your offer...  ;)

[ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: -lynx- ]