Author Topic: Fourth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket & Results  (Read 26210 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: Fourth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket & Results
« Reply #495 on: July 17, 2010, 03:40:52 AM »
I've never understood the reasoning behind having the duels in the canyon.

1.  For those unfamiliar with the DA it's the easiest place to find.
2.  There are more canyon fields than any other section of the map so if the DA is busy there's always an open set of fields.
3.  Variety of terrain
4.  Players can drag the fights out over the flats if they choose to.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #496 on: July 17, 2010, 08:26:03 AM »
1.  For those unfamiliar with the DA it's the easiest place to find.
2.  There are more canyon fields than any other section of the map so if the DA is busy there's always an open set of fields.
3.  Variety of terrain
4.  Players can drag the fights out over the flats if they choose to.

If the merge is 10k I like the canyon area the longer fights you get to drag down in the canyon and it's fun
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #497 on: July 17, 2010, 09:48:20 AM »
Even though I die before I ever get low enough to get into the canyons, would prefer to leave the fights as is (10k over the canyons). To me it not only allows the fight room to maneuver in the vertical (descending and ascending) but it also for a decent test of SA (getting too close to cliffs even though your not near the bottom yet).

Honestly I never really liked dueling on the deck and if the rules were changed to this then I would most likely not return for the next one. Not that anyone really minds if the bracket lost one more player but like I said I don't really like dueling on the deck.
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #498 on: July 17, 2010, 11:06:05 AM »
dueling on the deck vs 10k is really not much difference besides of the speed difference on the high alt merge.  Both players are pretty much the same speed and alt. at the time the merge happens so it's a fair fight from there.
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #499 on: July 17, 2010, 11:45:30 AM »
dueling on the deck vs 10k is really not much difference besides of the speed difference on the high alt merge.  Both players are pretty much the same speed and alt. at the time the merge happens so it's a fair fight from there.

except the fact that you have 10k of altitude to work with versus less than 100 feet, leaving more options available.  yes tactics are pretty much the same though.
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #500 on: July 17, 2010, 02:49:27 PM »

I would say there is a huge difference between fighting on the deck and at 10K, on the deck you have only a couple options, at 10K the options are not restricted at all, excepting of course the rules of engagement.
I am much more deadly at 10K then the deck, it gives you so much more room to maneuver and to nullify your opponents opening moves. 

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #501 on: July 17, 2010, 03:44:34 PM »
If the merge is 10k I like the canyon area the longer fights you get to drag down in the canyon and it's fun

In the Brewster round against Changeup we got down inside a side branch of the canyon in a tight tight flat circle turning fight by the end of it.  I decided it was too dangerous and took the exit when I came around to it, back into the main part of the canyon.  He followed, and I never got back out from in front of him again really.  It was a super fun fight, and the canyon part of it was really intense and memorable to me.  I like dueling on the deck for fun, but I really enjoy having the fights at the canyon for the tourney.  It adds an entire dimension to the fight IMO.
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #502 on: July 17, 2010, 04:53:58 PM »
I would say there is a huge difference between fighting on the deck and at 10K, on the deck you have only a couple options, at 10K the options are not restricted at all, excepting of course the rules of engagement.
I am much more deadly at 10K then the deck, it gives you so much more room to maneuver and to nullify your opponents opening moves. 

At the beginning of the fight the deck has the same options as a 10k fight before against a better stick the last thing you want to do is keep giving up precious E. 

In my tournament duel against Grizz I did work up a E advantage on him and he ended up winning the fight with some great shots so there is some exceptions to this rule but for the most part you can do anything on the deck you can do at 10k - only thing I can see the difference at is after your opponent goes up and you feel like if you went up he'd have a shot to you dive to extend for a sec to pull around for another merge. 
~XO Top Gun~ Retired

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #503 on: July 17, 2010, 07:47:02 PM »
I approach a 10k merge and a deck merge very differently. I can think of some major differences between the two. Higher merge speeds at 10k, and no ground to limit options, and the ability to merge with larger amounts of vertical separation.

In a 10k duel you have plenty of room to dive and will usually merge at a faster speed than in a deck merge. Most of these 10k fights I've been in had both pilots going for the E fight right off the merge. I'd imagine that would be partly attributed to wanting to fly a safe merge for the tournament, but mostly to having tons of speed on the merge. I know if I merge at 430mph, I'm not going to open up with a flat turn.

I see, and do, a lot more angle fighting during deck merges. You merge closer to corner speed and have less space to play in. If I can gain a good amount of angles on the merge, or shortly after, the enemy has less speed and altitude to attempt and reverse the fight.

The majority of the 10k fights I've been in were decided by a long, descending, one circle fight from the top of our immelmanns down to the deck. Both pilots vying for the best turn rate. Whoever was more familiar with riding the best turn rate would be the victor. In a deck merge you don't usually have the altitude to stay in that turn long enough to gain enough angles from it. It will more likely result in a lufbery.

One of the fights from the last tourney had my opponent in a very steep dive before the merge intent on merging below me. I kept just low enough to keep him in the dive but high enough to not lose a ton of E trying to get under him. I was over 2k above him when we merged and had secured the E advantage before the fight had even begun. This never could have happened in a deck merge.

They're different. :)
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #504 on: July 18, 2010, 06:19:13 AM »
I like the 10k canyon merge, it makes the fights seem different from the everyday dueling. Plus as mentioned by others it gives the fighters more options on the merge and in the fight. One of the best fight's I've had in the tourny was vs Cactus in p38s. We went at it for nearly ten minutes before I augered, Cactus was clearly the better P38 driver but with 10k to play with I was able to put up a difficult fight. That fight would have lasted much less time if Cactus had had me on the deck from the start. So I believe to some extent it also allows people a chance to give more of a fight in a plane they are not as good in.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 06:22:28 AM by mechanic »
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #505 on: July 18, 2010, 10:11:23 AM »
I like the 10k canyon merge, it makes the fights seem different from the everyday dueling. Plus as mentioned by others it gives the fighters more options on the merge and in the fight. One of the best fight's I've had in the tourny was vs Cactus in p38s. We went at it for nearly ten minutes before I augered, Cactus was clearly the better P38 driver but with 10k to play with I was able to put up a difficult fight. That fight would have lasted much less time if Cactus had had me on the deck from the start. So I believe to some extent it also allows people a chance to give more of a fight in a plane they are not as good in.

more then anything this is the reason to keep it at the canyons and why I like the 10K merge :aok

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #506 on: August 05, 2010, 01:49:13 PM »
Sucks that Bosco had to forfeit his spot in this. I was really wanting to see him and TJ.

perdweeb
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #507 on: August 05, 2010, 04:58:12 PM »
Holy necro bump batman.

TJ would have made short work of Bosco.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline DrBone1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #508 on: August 05, 2010, 05:05:29 PM »
Holy necro bump batman.

:lol  nvm  ;)
=The Damned=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6jjnCoBobc
I see DrBone has found a new Sith apprentice. Good, good, let the hate flow through you.  :devil
Move up, move over, or move aside.  Simple kombat 101.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #509 on: August 05, 2010, 05:09:20 PM »
Holy necro bump batman.

nothing against Bosco, but when I read that, I thought the same exact thing. :aok