Author Topic: 1 Squadron RAAF Mossie  (Read 2679 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Re: 1 Squadron RAAF Mossie
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2010, 03:56:51 PM »
FT,

Maybe you've got this already and I can't tell - but do you have light and dark panel line layers with 1px diagonal offset to simulate glare between panel sections?   I think all I'm seeing is the dark lines, no light ones for accents.

Since its paint, you will be able to add chips/scratches also along panel section seams, esp around access panels.   No idea what color should show through chipped paint though - since the a/c is wood not aluminum.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2010, 03:58:23 PM »
It's fabric and wood covered, you wouldn't "chip" so much as fade and wear off, but as mentioned in the other silver mossie thread they only had this paint scheme for a little while (it was freshly painted) so I'd doubt it would have much wear and tear.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2010, 11:19:59 PM »
Some extra photo's of A-NA.

Same photo as FTJR's just a little clearer.

Not sure if you would do stencils but this is a good picture.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 11:45:42 PM by lyric1 »

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2010, 11:44:47 PM »
It's fabric and wood covered, you wouldn't "chip" so much as fade and wear off, but as mentioned in the other silver mossie thread they only had this paint scheme for a little while (it was freshly painted) so I'd doubt it would have much wear and tear.
Correct I have a lot of pictures of this squadron & it is very hard to find dirty aircraft the bottom picture of the first page is about as scuffed up an aircraft I can find.

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2010, 02:17:48 AM »
FT,

Maybe you've got this already and I can't tell - but do you have light and dark panel line layers with 1px diagonal offset to simulate glare between panel sections?   I think all I'm seeing is the dark lines, no light ones for accents.

Since its paint, you will be able to add chips/scratches also along panel section seams, esp around access panels.   No idea what color should show through chipped paint though - since the a/c is wood not aluminum.

Oboe, yes that has all been done, the base colour makes the lighter lines difficult to see.  As Krusty mentioned, wood is a bit difficult to weather, and again the base paint makes it hard to see the effect, when I get this satisfactory I intend to redo my ETO mossie, and that should be easier to see the paint peeling. Also please remember that the RAAF mossies where only a couple of months old so there was little time to get so battered.
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2010, 03:25:02 AM »
Lyric, thanks for the photo's
Raw Prawns      

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2010, 06:01:30 AM »
Perhaps too dirty?

Raw Prawns      

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2010, 11:09:33 AM »
That looks much better. Now here are my thoughts:

1. Make the silver paint just slightly lighter in color (only by the slightest bit)
2. With the weathering, make it just slightly darker in color (only by the slightest bit)
*This will make both the silver paint and weathering more contrasting and easier to see*
3. Make the Roundels more vivid in color. The roundels should contrast well with the silver paint. Make the blue more bluer, and the white more whiter. Judging by those pictures, those roundels stand out pretty well against the silver.
4. You might want to make the prop spinners a little lighter too, as they look pretty dark when compared to the historical photos. The spinners may actually be the exact color as the rest of the aircraft.

Hope this helps achieve the look youre wanting to see!  :salute
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2010, 04:04:27 AM »
Hey Oboe, thanks for the tips, please bear in mind the planes only reached the theatre about 2 months before the wars end.

You're right about the roundels, and codes, they'd have no time to fade in the tropical sun, and having said that, it may still be too dirty, what do you think?
I put the straight silver on the spinners, but it may be "too" much.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 04:09:17 AM by FTJR »
Raw Prawns      

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2010, 06:14:50 AM »
Best version yet!   I went back through the photos and spinners can be either lighter, the same, or darker than the plane, so I think this'd be your choice based on the best info you have about the particular plane your skinning.

Can I see a screenshot with 1 notch of flaps?   There's been something I've been seeing in the photos near the rear of the engine nacelle and wing area - I'd like to see how AH handles it.

Also does this bird have any artwork on the crew access door as many do shown in your photos?

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2010, 06:58:56 AM »
Oboe,

here you go, and no there is no artwork on the door, the only artwork is the mosquito under the pilot. I darkened the spinners a touch. I think I will go with this version.

Raw Prawns      

Offline Mus51

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2010, 12:39:46 PM »
Nice work so far FTJR!

I think you need more panel line shadings in order to create different shades on the wing. What also works is motion blurred weathering.

I tried to edit your last screen-shot to give you an idea what I'm talking about.

I also edited a little dirt, as in my opinion clean planes can look right in some simulations, but not in Aces High. (I know some of you call this a simulation).
Regards,

DutchGuy

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2010, 12:46:17 PM »
I dunno Mus.... That's a good tip for BMF skins, but for a freshly-painted, uniform colored, silver camo finish? I don't think it "fits" -- I think the smoother finish fits this particular bird better.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2010, 05:52:06 PM »
Thanks for indulging me, FT!   I think those photos may have been taken with a notch of flaps down?

Personally, I've decided I like dirty planes better.   I submitted a fresh P-38L for the 82nd FG and I'm not so happy with it now.   Tough to show dirt on a reflective skin though.

I definitely want to fly this sweet girl!

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2010, 03:20:34 AM »
Mus, thanks for the suggestion, but as Krusty mentioned it might not be appropriate for this particular plane, but I certainly like  your weathering.

Oboe, dirty girls, are always more fun.

Thanks everyone for their suggestions, help and time.

JR <S>
Raw Prawns