Author Topic: Stats?  (Read 2805 times)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: Stats?
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2010, 10:14:20 PM »
Man...I would hope we're beyond that in the AvA these days TC. I've had a couple of people try to tell me why they needed stats and score in the AvA...I told them if they were that worried about such things, keep it out of the AvA.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2010, 11:32:27 PM »
Why shouldn't we have scoring or stats?

I still don't think the lamest of the score hoors are going to give up their uber any plane from any country at any time plane set, and easy 10 drunk base capture to come and invade the AvA.

Offline Cheese

• Copper Member
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2010, 12:08:46 AM »
I'd at least would like to know my K/D ratio to see if I'm improving or not - or even just total kills and total deaths...I can calculate on my own.  I don't care about the 'points' or 'rank'.

I flew in AvA for several hours this evening (till I was disco'd) and had a blast.  Later, I thought I would check my K/D and Nada!  How disappointing...I think I finally made it greater than 1.0. 

People fly for all different reasons...some for fun, some for stats, some to drink, some for a good fight, some to take territory, some to be #1, and some just for the social aspect.  Some people actually like to improve.  IMO, if you want more folks in AvA, you need to cater to as many as you can if possible.  If you just pick 'one of the above', you severly limit your potential player base.

One of the biggest complaints I hear from ex-FA'rs is the 'Knights/Rooks/Bishops' thing.  They really, really like the planesets/teams segregated by country and Allies/Axis.  There's just something WRONG about fighting a P51 with an F4U. They would want to naturally migrate to AvA.  But not just for dogfights - they want the whole AH experience, and that includes GV's/scores/stats/territory etc...and numbers.

If all you have to offer is dogfights and furballs, and territory that is really hard to capture, you might get a few (like me), but the large majority will migrate to the MA's.

My $0.02,

Cheese
Pigs on the Wing - Wing II
It's not Easy to be Cheesy!

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2010, 11:28:39 AM »
I'll check the settings for scoring and ensure they're turned on.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2010, 11:57:54 AM »
scoring is now on.

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2010, 12:08:54 PM »
Thank you.
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2010, 01:42:26 PM »
I think scoring/ranking creates behavior that is sometimes undesirable. It creates a tendency for folks to fly differently. I notice it with my squadmates. In a training setting they fly better teamwork than when they are being individually scored. They fly better teamwork  in the AvA than in the MA because there is no score/rank pressure because most don't fly in the AvA regularly. I've noticed folks tend to stick close to home base when protecting a score. Airplane choices are different when folks a flying for score.

I see scoring is back on in the AvA in order for folks to see stats. i wish we could turn off the ranking system but leave score/stats on.

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2010, 02:29:10 PM »
i agree dawger, but unfortunately you cant have stats without scoring as explained to me. therefore we had to turn scoring on.

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2010, 04:00:49 PM »
i agree dawger, but unfortunately you cant have stats without scoring as explained to me. therefore we had to turn scoring on.

yup. I guess we should request that for the AvA or some other scoring thing.

Or think of a way to turn scoring to the advantage of the AvA.

Can you convince HTC to rollover the tour every time the setup changes? That might have the added side benefit of increasing attendance a bit and would allow folks to see how they are doing in individual setups similar to running a log for an event.

Just kicking out ideas. I'm not radically opposed to scoring, especially if it can be used to boost attendance a bit.

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2010, 06:28:24 PM »
In my opinion the AvA should be setup just like the MA, but with only two sides Axis/Allies and a map reset just moves onto the next map/setup in the rotation. 

AvA has had score for as long as I have been flying in it and I don't really think there is that bad of a side effect from it.  Most of the bad eggs that were in there did what they did for attention, not score.
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2010, 08:07:41 PM »
AvA has had score for as long as I have been flying in it and I don't really think there is that bad of a side effect from it.  Most of the bad eggs that were in there did what they did for attention, not score.

Agreed.  I can think of only a small handful of people in the past 8 years who were flying for rank in the AvA.  Most of us don't even notice when we've gone from 0 to a whole number.

- oldman

Offline Cheese

• Copper Member
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2010, 09:10:49 PM »
In my opinion the AvA should be setup just like the MA, but with only two sides Axis/Allies and a map reset just moves onto the next map/setup in the rotation. 

Fantastic Idea!  Is this even possible to do?

You could keep track of the 'most' popular maps and rotate through them.  Then have a different rotation every week/month which you could post on the forums/website.
Pigs on the Wing - Wing II
It's not Easy to be Cheesy!

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2010, 09:58:32 PM »

There has been a lot of discussion about this recently, and at the present time, it isn't possible. Even an accidental reset like what happened today rotates countries around etc and fubars the arena..

The map reset system is basically set up for the 3 country main arena style, and it just doesn't save custom AvA settings.

There would have to be a lot of additional coding work by HTC to make this possible.

I have asked for it and other things for AvA on the wishlist and watched HiTech respond to posts above and below and all around but never to those, so they must have a good business reason for why they aren't interested in doing such things.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,289487.0.html
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 10:57:46 PM by jimson »

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2010, 01:05:47 AM »
There has been a lot of discussion about this recently, and at the present time, it isn't possible. Even an accidental reset like what happened today rotates countries around etc and fubars the arena..

The map reset system is basically set up for the 3 country main arena style, and it just doesn't save custom AvA settings.

There would have to be a lot of additional coding work by HTC to make this possible.

I have asked for it and other things for AvA on the wishlist and watched HiTech respond to posts above and below and all around but never to those, so they must have a good business reason for why they aren't interested in doing such things.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,289487.0.html

If you want to know the business reason...just examine the history of warbirds. Hitech has been quoted as saying give the people what they want, not what they ask for. Warbirds created an Axis versus Allies Arena that was 2 country, allied planes for one side, axis for the other with otherwise Main Arena settings. The squad I was in at the time had 150 members. In a few months it had less than 30. Why did Warbirds commit suicide in this manner? The players kept asking for Axis versus Allies split in the plane set. It is not a winner for large scale success (In online flying terms)

No icons makes a big difference in any historical split towards an even playing field but even then setups have to be carefully designed.

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2010, 06:28:46 AM »
The only problem i see with scoring is that "I need to be #1" mentality. i believe scoring encourages that.