Author Topic: Speed of sound Vs. AH guns  (Read 648 times)

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
Speed of sound Vs. AH guns
« on: June 05, 2010, 08:41:02 PM »
I've mentioned it a couple times in other threads over the last couple yrs, don't recall getting a response from HTC, but reading another thread today reminded me of this..

Why does the muzzle blast from a tank gun arrive at the speed of light in the game? For example, two panzers 1600yds apart. One fires at the other.. my cursory drunken research shows the round should get there in about 1.85 seconds (~2600fps-790m/s) the sound (blast) of the gun firing  (~1125fps-343m/s) should take about 4.25 seconds to reach.

As it is currently in game, you hear the gun fire as the round leaves the muzzle. The round then arrives on schedule 2 seconds later. My understanding in the real world is you do not hear supersonic projectiles headed at you until they pass you, or impact nearby (or hit you directly)..

I completely understand if it is a concession to gameplay.. I can only imagine how much easier spawn camping would be if you couldn't even hear where the shot came from before you died -- which could suck even more than being camped does currently.. just wondering if it was deliberate on HTC's part..

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline infowars

• Nickel Member
Re: Speed of sound Vs. AH guns
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 09:04:18 PM »
I am pretty sure you hear the round being expelled not traveling,
SWneo <==== In game name. Cpt 125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 09:05:39 PM »
I am pretty sure you hear the round being expelled not traveling,
The sound of the shell being fired still has to reach you....

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 09:08:17 PM »
Its definately different being down range of the round...
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 11:08:42 PM »
The OP is correct.  The sound from the projectile being fired (the muzzle blast) would arrive at the target after the round, assuming the round is supersonic.  If the round is supersonic as it passes you, likewise you won't hear it (the projectile's small sonic boom) until after it's passed although that delay would be very short.  Does it matter much in game play?  Probably not.
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 11:28:12 PM »

Man, could you imagine how upset folks would be if they spawned, and then just blinked back into the tower?  Never having even heard a shot?  They'd be dead before the sound arrived, lol! 

Deer hunting, I've unfortunately had rounds pass by me close enough to hear them whiz past on three separate occasions.  The sound of the gun firing definitely comes later...

Game-wise, I almost suspect that it would be easier to locate your adversary if the sound of his gun firing was delayed (assuming he missed).  I say that because the round zipping past (or impacting) certainly gets your attention, and then the sound of the gun pinpoints the direction of the threat.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 11:33:06 PM »
I asked about this at the last CON and HTC didn't seem very interested in modeling the speed of sound in relation to visual events. This applies to not just canon rounds, but things like bomb blasts and other distant events that you'd see before hearing them. I guess it would be rather complicated for them to develop for little perceived return (I think it would add to the immersion).
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 11:34:36 PM »
Man, could you imagine how upset folks would be if they spawned, and then just blinked back into the tower?  Never having even heard a shot?  They'd be dead before the sound arrived, lol! 

When rounds hit me in a plane and I explode, often I still hear the sounds of the bullet strikes as I'm in the tower, so I imagine that it would be much the same way for tanks.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline BrownBaron

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 12:43:45 AM »
They'd be dead before the sound arrived, lol!
That's how it is in the non-cartoon world.
O Jagdgeschwader 77

Ingame ID: Johannes

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 01:42:08 AM »
I asked about this at the last CON and HTC didn't seem very interested in modeling the speed of sound in relation to visual events. This applies to not just canon rounds, but things like bomb blasts and other distant events that you'd see before hearing them. I guess it would be rather complicated for them to develop for little perceived return (I think it would add to the immersion).

Ahha, so it has been brought up at least. thanks!

mtnman: that is exactly what i brought up... if it's a gameplay thing, cool deal.. I think it's fine the way it is, if not "realistic".
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 03:00:07 AM »
Hasnt anyone ever seen Quigly: Down under?
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 03:03:41 AM »
Classic movie!

However, in-game it's already modeled that way. [edit: for all intents and purposes.] When I'm taking rounds I'm hearing them go boom but not where they come from. I have to rely on visuallly following the shells as they hit, otherwise I'd never have a clue (from sound alone) from whence they came.

Offline hlbly

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 04:40:19 AM »

Deer hunting, I've unfortunately had rounds pass by me close enough to hear them whiz past on three separate occasions.  The sound of the gun firing definitely comes later...

Game-wise, I almost suspect that it would be easier to locate your adversary if the sound of his gun firing was delayed (assuming he missed).  I say that because the round zipping past (or impacting) certainly gets your attention, and then the sound of the gun pinpoints the direction of the threat.
Wait til you hear something in the 6 inch range