Author Topic: Updating drivers under Win2K  (Read 567 times)

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
Updating drivers under Win2K
« on: August 17, 2001, 09:49:00 AM »
Just wondering if anyone's got a reliable procedure for unloading video drivers under W2K - there's no "standard settings" to install VGA drivers like you do under Win98 and the whole thing turns itself into a nightmare with the stupid thing finding some legacy leftover from previous installations.

I run a PIII 1GHz Dell Inspiron 8000 with 32MB GF2Go - got up to 1887 3D marks with 12.40 then evil 14.20 hosed my performance/screwed up screen settings. Now I'm trying to get back to clean install and am finding it difficult... Help?

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2001, 10:06:00 AM »
I believe there is a "change driver" button if you pop up the properties for the device in device manager.

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2001, 10:11:00 AM »
OK, it's called "update driver" actually but this wasn't the question.

Under 95/98 one can unistall "default VGA" thing which enables you to clean the registry before installing the new set. W2K does not seem to have this - it "finds new software" before you can blink and installs what it finds :( No legacy drivers on the "all available hardware" list either...

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2001, 11:02:00 AM »
When in the device manager, you should just be able to right-click on your video card entry, and select Uninstall.  Works just fine, and you're computer won't even lock up 80% of the time when you do it like Win98!  :)

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!