Author Topic: The tater chucker get nerfed?  (Read 5973 times)

Offline BrownBaron

• Silver Member
The tater chucker get nerfed?
« on: June 02, 2010, 01:23:26 AM »
Has anyone else noticed the 30mm just doesn't have the same...destructive power it used to? Not sure when this change came about, but it seems quite prevailant now. It use to be a one hit one kill weapon, but now the damage is but a ghost of what it once was. I've noticed it all through tonight, as have some of my fellow tater warriors.

Needless to say, I will back up my claims with evidence.

One sortie I happened to be filming from this week end...

A point blank hit on the engine/cockpit area....

And he flys off with oil leakage.

I also remember hitting an F4F from D400 square in the tail, and he only lost a elevator, and hitting a 110's wingtip and the wingtip simply fracturing...Most would agree that both such hits would normally result in an instantaneous explosion of said planes.

Not sure if scaling down of this weapon was intentional or not, but I don't like it.   :frown:

More evidence to come as it becomes available..
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 01:26:32 AM by BrownBaron »
O Jagdgeschwader 77

Ingame ID: Johannes

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
Re: The tater chucker get nerfed?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 01:42:06 AM »
YES!!!! or worst yet a fuel leak
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline BrownBaron

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 01:46:12 AM »
Hell, that tater might not even have done any damage at all, that could have just been the 13mm MG's...
O Jagdgeschwader 77

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 01:51:44 AM »
The tater you showed here looks like it was an engine kill.  I don't really consider that a tater dud anymore.  That being said, I have been hitting planes, La7s in particular, point blank with taters with absolutely no apparent damage.  I posted a couple films of it in a bugs thread.

Offline palef

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 01:52:20 AM »
Who cares. That first picture is TOTALLY WICKED!
Retired

Offline BrownBaron

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 01:57:53 AM »
The tater you showed here looks like it was an engine kill.  I don't really consider that a tater dud anymore.  That being said, I have been hitting planes, La7s in particular, point blank with taters with absolutely no apparent damage.  I posted a couple films of it in a bugs thread.

I agree that they are not duds, but most definitely seeing reduced damage. A tater aficionado sucha s yourself would concur that the result of that shot should be a midair poof followed by channel 200 whining.

Who cares. That first picture is TOTALLY WICKED!

Hehe, admiring my inverted handiwork? Getting pretty decent in that ride, if i do say so myself... :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 02:01:26 AM by BrownBaron »
O Jagdgeschwader 77

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 02:23:00 AM »
La-7s are tough little birds.  I recall hitting one with ten Hispano II rounds without any apparent effect.  I was flying a Tiffie at the time and the hits came over an extended fight, so they were easy to count.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline jdbecks

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 02:29:39 AM »
The tater you showed here looks like it was an engine kill.  I don't really consider that a tater dud anymore.  That being said, I have been hitting planes, La7s in particular, point blank with taters with absolutely no apparent damage.  I posted a couple films of it in a bugs thread.

same here, I hit a LA7 in the fuselage and he sustained no damage
JG11

...Only the proud, only the strong...
www.JG11.org

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 02:46:35 AM »
If a 30mm hits a wingtip or, say, elevator flap it is very much possible that the target only loses just the wingtip of that elevator flap since, although being a huge bang, the tater also needs a surface it can build the pressure upon. If it explodes in such place it will dissipate the pressure it generates to ambient air and only a fracture to target surface, but usually still enough to fracture the contact surface to shambles. Of course the fuse timing is also an issue and the place of the actual explosion depends on that after the projectile has hit the surface and the "timer" is triggered.

Now, a fuselage hit is a totally different case because it can generate a hefty over pressure.

Of course it is again a totally different matter how complex the modeling can be in a game. I've hit a Pony with two taters simultaneously hitting the engine cowling from above and the engine died and that is actually all I expect to happen when a projectile with heavy punch hits the heaviest place in a plane.

But only an oil leak...?  :huh

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline palef

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 03:36:09 AM »

Hehe, admiring my inverted handiwork? Getting pretty decent in that ride, if i do say so myself... :)

Absolutely.
Retired

Offline BillyD

• Silver Member
      • Das Army of Muppets
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 04:59:13 AM »
I'm having problems bringing down jap planes w/ 30mm than anything else. Totally nerfed.   :uhoh :cry

...there is a 30 page thread on here somewhere Scotch started like 3 years ago about 30mm damage and its only gotten weaker LOL
 :D
*ARMY OF MUPPETS
*K$
*Hot Soup Mafia
*@#$@#  YO COUCH CREW

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 05:05:14 AM »
I'm having problems bringing down jap planes w/ 30mm than anything else. Totally nerfed.   :uhoh :cry

...there is a 30 page thread on here somewhere Scotch started like 3 years ago about 30mm damage and its only gotten weaker LOL
 :D

That thread is epic...no HTC response
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline papjohns

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 09:56:58 PM »
BYRF and I have been talking about this at nauseum on Squad TS; and the tater seems to be much crappier than it was before the last couple of updates.....something is dorked up...other than my gunnery of course.
"CAN DO, SIR! "The difficult we do immediately; the impossible takes a little longer."

Army of Muppets

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 10:13:16 PM »

I also remember hitting an F4F from D400 square in the tail, and he only lost a elevator...

That IS an F4F you're talking about. Just about the toughest plane there is in the game.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline BrownBaron

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 10:23:55 PM »
And this is a 30mm we're talking about...one of the bigger plane-mounted guns in the game...
O Jagdgeschwader 77