Author Topic: Questions for making sounds  (Read 789 times)

Offline Stones

• Zinc Member
Questions for making sounds
« on: June 15, 2010, 01:25:04 PM »
Hello guys,

I have made a start on collecting source material for making my own sound pack.  Got some sound clips and ripped the audio from some videos, films, documentaries etc...
Just a question on what features I can apply sounds to. 
For instance, the door on a C47, the hook being lowered on carrier planes, dive flaps,
bomb doors, trimming wheels etc...
Also I need to know the tag to give the wave file to make these sounds operable.
I don't know if it's possible to even apply these sounds, just an idea of mine to make
the game a little more immersing.

Another small question:  In some sound packs I have downloaded before, I notice 2 wave files for engine sounds. One labled Eng and the other EngI.  This situation arises for some of the other sounds also.  Engoff, Engstart etc..
I'm not sure how the game applies these.  Are they left/right for stereo sound or ????  I thought all sounds are mono.  Do they play at the same time????

Thanks for any help with this and  :salute to all the guys who've spent time putting sound packs together before.  They have inspired me to take up this meticulous and time consuming hobby.

Am only doing 1 plane at a time and I have researched authentic
material.  Any tips received greatfully.

Stones

Only the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be.... Adolf Galland

Ingame ID's~KlunK~Stones~Helmet

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
Re: Questions for making sounds
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 11:44:36 AM »
Another small question:  In some sound packs I have downloaded before, I notice 2 wave files for engine sounds. One labled Eng and the other EngI.  This situation arises for some of the other sounds also.  Engoff, Engstart etc..
I'm not sure how the game applies these.  Are they left/right for stereo sound or ????  I thought all sounds are mono.  Do they play at the same time????

'Eng' is an external engine sound, whereas 'EngI' is an internal one. They can't play at the same time, nor are they used at once in the game. You have to pick the ones you want to fly with, internal or external, and name them accordingly. The way I do it, I put an X at the end of external sounds, and take the I off the end of the internal ones. It's an annoying and time-consuming process, but it's the only way to go at the moment.

The reason I made my packs this way is so people can have a choice. Internal sounds are more authentic in a cockpit sense, though it's nice to use internals for one plane per sortie, and just use externals for the rest. Not the best compromise, but it's what we have to do right now.

Offline Stones

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 03:43:18 PM »
Thanks Fruda. I get the idea.

<S>

Stones

Only the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be.... Adolf Galland

Offline Stones

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 08:22:51 AM »
I have some Mp3 clips of some sounds I want to use.  Can you tell me what Wave format to convert them to.  Bit rate ect..