Author Topic: Spit 1 question  (Read 759 times)

Offline Stones

• Zinc Member
Spit 1 question
« on: June 07, 2010, 06:28:15 PM »
Hi guys <S>

I'm having a problem getting a rolling scissors as effective as it should be.
I'm flying the Spit1 in EW this tour.  Usually, if I am the one to initiate a rolling scissors I will do it so that I roll to the right.  Reason being the Mk1 has a terrible roll rate but I can use the chopping of the throttle to increase my roll rate to the right.  Rolling to the left seems to be real slow.
My problem is maintaining it, I keep stalling inverted after about 5 or 6 turns and with no power to recover because the engine cuts out.  Maybe the geometry of my scissors is wrong.  I am aiming for minimum forward movement because I want to be behind the con.  A race to the back so to speak.
I am doing ok and like this plane, it give you a lot to think about but the rewards are great when it all goes good.  8x 303s and 2400 rounds.  Anything caught in them under 250 is junk.  Just want some advice on this move.

Stones

Only the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be.... Adolf Galland

Ingame ID's~KlunK~Stones~Helmet

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Re: Spit 1 question
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 06:38:24 PM »
this is a nasty little stall and the Spit 1 is nearly impossible to get out of.

My advice is to not get into the situation where you are still pushing too hard especially with flaps down.  I suggest you hit someone up in the TA or DA that can fly the spit mk 1 like they stole it just to assess exactly where you are falling foul.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 06:49:54 PM »
Hey Stones.  When are you usually in EW?  I fly there a lot and spend most of my time in the Hurri 1 with good success.  I'll fly with ya (or against ya). 
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 07:14:31 PM »
this is a nasty little stall and the Spit 1 is nearly impossible to get out of.

My advice is to not get into the situation where you are still pushing too hard especially with flaps down.  I suggest you hit someone up in the TA or DA that can fly the spit mk 1 like they stole it just to assess exactly where you are falling foul.

that's a good idea Bruv actualy.

few of us were in TA with Stones tonight pondering the problem, best we could come up with was dont pull too hard at the top of slow loops with the flaps out and the slower you get, the more gentle you must be. None of us actualy thought to get in a spit I and fly it ourselves   :o :lol
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 07:20:44 PM »
the spit 9 does the same thing but you can get out of it with a little work.  The engine not cutting out is a real bonus  ;).

What are you scissoring against might help.  The spit can hold it's own against a hurri mk 1 but an a6m2 might be pushing it.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 07:27:02 PM »
He was fighting me in a mossie at first, but lots of planes. No A6ms though i dont think.  Looked like accelerated stall in a loop that went into a flat spin, tail slides and backflips out of nowhere, rather than the usualy spit mkV vertical stall turn failiure. But you handled the spit I really well i thought, Stones, it's by far the hardest spit to fly well expect maybe the Mk14.  
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Obie303

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 07:33:08 PM »
One more thing to add,  if you get into that stall, you might have to re-start your engine.  Nose down and hit the E key.  Try to get your speed up and extend.  It's going to be tough if you have a bandit on your six.
I have fought a good fight,
I have finished my course,
I have kept the faith.
(quote on a Polish pilot's grave marker in Nottinghamshire, England)

71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 09:34:43 PM »
best we could come up with was dont pull too hard at the top of slow loops with the flaps out and the slower you get, the more gentle you must be.

Very good advice.  The Spit I Death Stall always gets me when I'm in this exact situation - inverted at the top of a loop.  You don't really even need to have the flaps out, just being slow and inverted will usually do it.  While I've heard all sorts of advice on how to get out of the Death Stall - lowering the gear, lowering (or raising!) the flaps, full throttle, no throttle, nose forward, nose back, combinations of the foregoing - I have never actually managed to get out of one.  The best advice, near as I can tell, is what you gave Stones:  don't get into one in the first place.

- oldman

Offline Stones

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 11:59:21 PM »
Thanks for all the advice.
I will film my next session and try and note the speeds and attitude of the plane when it happens.  I should have had the film running tonight and I could have posted it for some tips.
I'm either in EW or TA most nights from 8-11pm GMT.
Seems from all your replies that I must try to carry a little more speed at the top, less flaps, just blip them quickly and be not so aggressive with the rudder input. 
Had a fun with the fights tonight. <<S>>

Stones
Only the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be.... Adolf Galland

Ingame ID's~KlunK~Stones~Helmet

Offline Obie303

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 05:33:28 AM »
Stone, I tried several times to get into the spin you were talking about.  After about 8 or 9 tries, I managed to get into one.  I was vertical, dropped all of my air speed at the top, and then tried to loop back down.  But because I had no power and I was inverted, I was unable to force the nose down.  I floated like a rock straight down.

I think the best advice is not to drop your air speed and to avoid that situation all together.  Best of luck to you. :salute
I have fought a good fight,
I have finished my course,
I have kept the faith.
(quote on a Polish pilot's grave marker in Nottinghamshire, England)

71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 06:15:15 AM »
I fly the Hurri mk1 if I fly either of these. The problem with the stall doesn't seem so prevailant, and it turns much better.
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost
"Uncommon valor was a common virtue." <S>