Author Topic: No Icon Tactics and Tips  (Read 1975 times)

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
Re: No Icon Tactics and Tips
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2010, 10:24:31 AM »
We've dropped friendlies down to 1k, alot of people didn't like it. we've found that 2-3k seems to work best.

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 10:49:20 AM »
The ever changing rotation is the problem. Decide on a schedule and publish it. Its not like there aren't hundreds of setups to choose from. The reason the AvA doesn't have a schedule is because the AvA staff doesn't want a schedule.

The reasons for that are unknown but I suspect its just to keep the AvA a personal toybox more than anything else.

A schedule would prove me wrong. Make it easy on yourselves. Let the AvA setups run for two weeks. 26 setups and you have a year. I know there are 26 setups in the can, ready to go.

I believe this is an area in which we can improve.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 12:57:17 PM »
The ever changing rotation is the problem. Decide on a schedule and publish it. Its not like there aren't hundreds of setups to choose from. The reason the AvA doesn't have a schedule is because the AvA staff doesn't want a schedule.

The reasons for that are unknown but I suspect its just to keep the AvA a personal toybox more than anything else.

A schedule would prove me wrong. Make it easy on yourselves. Let the AvA setups run for two weeks. 26 setups and you have a year. I know there are 26 setups in the can, ready to go.
Get off it Dawger, you been harping the same poop for months, and you've been wrong the entire time. As you should know by now, the setups are based on what is available for terrains and aircraft, then maintaining a good mix between theaters. The lack of small terrains is the real kicker, that's not to mention the holes in the plane sets.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 04:49:09 PM »
Apparently, I'm not understanding the reason for the few who are resisting "Icons Off".  Some of the discussion is centered around the closer in ranges. When first trying out the no icon setup, I found my self rushing the target with closure rate, getting too close, too fast and missing the shot.  So, I went into the off line and practiced with my favorite gun sight and concentrated on the wingspan to gun sight diameter ratio for the close in ranges (I picked 200 and 400).  After some practice without the icon ranges, it became pretty intuitive as the target aircraft started filling the gun sight.  I'm not intending to preach to the choir here, but it just isn't that hard to adapt to....if one is open to try something new.  Below are a couple of screen shots for reference.

Here, the Hurri wingspan approximately fills the outer diameter of the sight at 200 yards.

Here, the Hurri wingspan approximately fills the inner diameter of the sight at 400 yards.

Hope this helps out those who are still having difficulty with it.  But, I predict most have already figured this out.

Check Six!  :salute

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 07:20:34 PM »
Puma, one of the issues with short range friendly icons is that people were finding themselves chasing friendlies a lot more often than they do now. Some of us wanted 3k and some wanted down to 1.5k, as you can see in those pics you posted, in normal view it would be difficult to tell if that was a Hurricane, Spit, P-40 or 109 even from 200 yards away. From a side angle it would be a little easier. Jaeger has tried every possible setting and the only time no icons at all worked, was on the Midway map with Navy planes versus Japanese Zekes and D3s...the white default skins were easy to spot from more than 1k out.
jarhed  

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2010, 07:58:17 PM »
Roger that Gyrene.  It just seems there is a lot of noise from a few when the majority are having fun with it.  The age old 80/20 rule appears to be in effect.   :salute

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2010, 06:19:56 PM »
....submitted only for entertainment, and, well,.......maybe some comic relief on the subject of "No Icons" and camouflage.  :lol

:salute

Offline grumpy37

• Silver Member
      • What I do
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2010, 08:29:26 PM »
im still waiting for my custom gun site file......
CO VF-10 "Grim Reapers"   Member JG54 in AVA

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2010, 09:17:26 PM »
Grumpy, check your PMs.  :salute

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2010, 10:05:01 AM »
Get off it Dawger, you been harping the same poop for months, and you've been wrong the entire time. As you should know by now, the setups are based on what is available for terrains and aircraft, then maintaining a good mix between theaters. The lack of small terrains is the real kicker, that's not to mention the holes in the plane sets.

You prove my point. You say above that there is a limited set of setups possible. That makes a schedule easier, not harder. What exactly are you arguing for?

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2010, 01:43:30 PM »
You prove my point. You say above that there is a limited set of setups possible. That makes a schedule easier, not harder. What exactly are you arguing for?
Your point is far from being proven. You would find something else to complain about anyway...

Frequent repetitions of setups is not the answer...you know the plane set, the maps and what works, post something besides repetitious demands.
jarhed  

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2010, 03:45:43 PM »
I believe this is an area in which we can improve.

I don't know, gyrene........ seems at least one of the AvA staff is in agreement with Dawger at this time, Sir.......

it would help people ( at least those who frequent the messageboards or AH event Calendar or AH events website ) to see in advance what will be coming up soon or next with an advanced schedule.....

similar to KOTH, FSO, SEC, scenarios etc......

most know that the AvA is a regular ol arena like all the rest outside of the SEA's..... but in all reality what takes place in the AvA is more akeened to something "SPECIAL" it is different than most all other regular arenas as far as chemistry......

so to me that would warrant a little extra in the advertising department.....

you have the

Special Events Announcements Forum ( very top of messageboards 2nd down from top )

the Special Events General Forum

then here the AvsA regular forum

then the AH events Calendar, and to end the AH Events website......

heck, has anyone ever thought of an AvsA mail list?  similar to FSO< or SEC, or AHXRL or Koth, etc.....

having a minimal 7 days advance but more preferable 2 weeks or more of the next setup will go a long way in my opinion of helping the community members gather their flocks to come to the AvsA...

just another view....

hope this helps....    cheers
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2010, 07:29:59 PM »
Your point is far from being proven. You would find something else to complain about anyway...

Frequent repetitions of setups is not the answer...you know the plane set, the maps and what works, post something besides repetitious demands.

I certainly don't know the rotation and  it's always a mystery what's going to happen week to week until it is announced.    Example:   Jimson's  excellent week-long base taking event was cut short to insert a new person's map.   I did not know and was advertising to my squad to go in there for Jimson's map.  Now that the LCA is more interested,  we would certainly benefit from knowing upcoming events,  aiding in proper planning and further advertising on our own LCA website.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 07:34:29 PM by gldnbb »
To fly or not to fly, that is the question
-The Golden BB-

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2010, 11:26:48 PM »
Example:   Jimson's  excellent week-long base taking event was cut short to insert a new person's map.  

That was a bit of a special circumstance.

We were originally going to run it in September and then we had a CM move on to some important real life responsibilities so we moved it up to August to fill some slots.

We ran it for almost two weeks and it was the day before it was due to end that Skuzzy loaded USRangers new map onto the server.

When I logged in, I found that Rangers map had been accidentally loaded into the arena.

If it had been earlier than the last day of the campaign, I would have reloaded Battlefield Europe, but there were already about 8 or so players in the arena. Loading a map kicks everyone off so I decided to leave Twinrivr up.

I always try to post my next set up well in advance, but there are times that schedules get altered for various reasons.

For the week of October 21, I'm working on a 3 possible map Battlefield Pacific scenario. Depending on victors, only two of the 3 maps will be utilized.

It will be USA vs Japan and won't be entirely historically correct. It will likely start on Mindan09 with 1944 planesets.

Allied victory will advance to Okinawa map and Axis victory will advance to ozkansas map.

There will also be some new planes enabled by capturing certain bases.

It's a bit of a stretch to run a rolling pacific campaign with the working maps we have, so suggestions are welcome.

If you have any, start a new thread as we've hijacked this one enough.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 11:33:25 PM by jimson »