Author Topic: Yeeooooooouch! Computer got hit by a double surge  (Read 1273 times)

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
Yeeooooooouch! Computer got hit by a double surge
« on: June 09, 2010, 09:24:35 PM »
Now she won't boot. Not even sure where to start. It starts but there is no video and no sound. The monitor is good because I started the other computer and they share the same monitor.

Any advice?

No error messages are anything.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
Re: Yeeooooooouch! Computer got hit by a double surge
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 09:25:25 PM »
Sounds like you need to replace a fried motherboard. Do you have a DELL?
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost
"Uncommon valor was a common virtue." <S>

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 09:26:07 PM »
Sounds like you need to replace a fried motherboard. Do you have a DELL?

No it was home grown.

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 09:28:45 PM »
Have you checked the video and sound cards? If those are the only problems then I would suggest replacing them.  It could be possible you just need to reattach them, or replace the heat sink. I also think you may need to check some of your wires to see if they still function. Also, get a surge protector.

EDIT: Reason I asked if it was a DELL is they have EVERYTHING on the motherboard, and if it fries, you might as well throw out the board and start from scratch
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 09:30:53 PM by fbWldcat »
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 09:34:06 PM »
Have you checked the video and sound cards? If those are the only problems then I would suggest replacing them.  It could be possible you just need to reattach them, or replace the heat sink. I also think you may need to check some of your wires to see if they still function. Also, get a surge protector.

EDIT: Reason I asked if it was a DELL is they have EVERYTHING on the motherboard, and if it fries, you might as well throw out the board and start from scratch

Have a surge protector. Sound is onboard video card is separate.

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 09:38:23 PM »
I would replace both, I'm no computer whiz but it seems to me from what I know about computers, you should replace both cards and wires. You should also probably take a look at your heat sink.
Landing is overrated.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 09:44:57 PM »
If your memory is defective it will act like that.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 09:45:51 PM »
If your memory is defective it will act like that.

Sadly, I haven't even reached old age  :(
Landing is overrated.

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 10:26:56 PM »
Reason I asked if it was a DELL is they have EVERYTHING on the motherboard, and if it fries, you might as well throw out the board and start from scratch

Not to be rude, but that is FLAT OUT NOT TRUE.  While many computers come equipped with onboard video AND audio, this is done quite often regardless of manufacturer.  Likewise, there ARE some Dells that have separate sound cards and/or separate video cards.  While I'm not necessarily defending the engineering or fabrication practices of Dell, I believe that you should do some research before making a broad statement like that.

Getback, most likely you have a bad power supply.  It may have taken the motherboard with it, but you really need to plug in a known-good power supply and see if it boots up... or purchase a power supply tester.  And yes a power supply can be bad and still supply power to the fans, etc... but not the motherboard itself.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 11:07:42 PM »
Not to be rude, but that is FLAT OUT NOT TRUE.  While many computers come equipped with onboard video AND audio, this is done quite often regardless of manufacturer.  Likewise, there ARE some Dells that have separate sound cards and/or separate video cards.  While I'm not necessarily defending the engineering or fabrication practices of Dell, I believe that you should do some research before making a broad statement like that.

Getback, most likely you have a bad power supply.  It may have taken the motherboard with it, but you really need to plug in a known-good power supply and see if it boots up... or purchase a power supply tester.  And yes a power supply can be bad and still supply power to the fans, etc... but not the motherboard itself.

Actually I've been questioning that power supply for quite some time. I have a new one on order. I'll install that first. Thank you for the advice. Sure didn't know that.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 11:26:30 PM »

:noid
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 11:28:35 PM »
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 11:30:50 PM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 11:53:35 PM »

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 01:08:23 AM »

He said it starts but without video or audio. If the memory is not registering (defective) the system will start but it will possible beep a few times (if it has a MB speaker) and then stop without booting video. In other words the bootstrap process is only partly executed.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 02:01:17 AM »
He said it starts but without video or audio. If the memory is not registering (defective) the system will start but it will possible beep a few times (if it has a MB speaker) and then stop without booting video. In other words the bootstrap process is only partly executed.

Prior to this incident the computer was really slow to boot. Seemed like several minutes. This occurred around the same time I plugged in the DVD drive. The PS is of modular design. I have never been happy with it.