Author Topic: Frame rate >30fps???  (Read 819 times)

Offline JV44

• Copper Member
Frame rate >30fps???
« on: October 16, 2001, 07:28:00 AM »
Hello....

Just a quick question before I spend money for nothing...  :)

Will you see a different beetween 40, 60 and 80fps if you play without frame rate displayed?

I think all above 30-35fps will be fluid and smooth to the human eye and you wont notice a different is it???

JV44 (Andreas)

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Frame rate >30fps???
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2001, 09:00:00 AM »
Anything over 30 is more than acceptable.

But don't judge by clear skies, judge by flying in thick cloud or smoke, those are the frame rate killers

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Frame rate >30fps???
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2001, 04:47:00 PM »
I'd say anything over about 25 fps looks about the same.  It's just nice to have those extra fps to avoid becoming unplayable near fleets, fields (smoking), very large furballs etc.

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Frame rate >30fps???
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2001, 04:02:00 AM »
Bloom25,
I can see the difference between 35fps and 45fps

I know many other people who can. Maybe its the trained eye. Unlike with television (where the moving images get blurred) you can see more than 30fps in a high resolution monitor.

The ideal is to have a minimum of 25fps durking heavy smoke and fighting.

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
Frame rate >30fps???
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2001, 10:08:00 PM »
Also, the higher the frame rate the easier it is on the eye.  Less flickering etc...  Means you can comfortably sit in front of the monitor on those all-nighters...

Offline Wobble

• Copper Member
      • http://compservices.netfirms.com
Frame rate >30fps???
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2001, 10:18:00 PM »
I think to the human eye anything over 25 fps looks smooth.. after that it could be 30 or 150 and you wouldent be able to know..

of course with PC monitors its a tad different.

Offline qts

• Nickel Member
      • None yet
Frame rate >30fps???
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2001, 03:45:00 PM »
The higher the frame-rate the better.  It is noticeable because just like refresh rate whereas with a cinema screen you are 30-100 feet or more away and with a TV screen you are 10+ feet away, with a computer monitor you are 2 feet away. The human eye is attuned to changes, so the changes need to be that much more rapid.

Offline pimpjoe

• Silver Member
Frame rate >30fps???
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2001, 01:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by qts:
[QB].....with a computer monitor you are 2 feet away.... QB]

LOL....you sit that far away from your monitor??? hell im usually wipin off the smuges every 20 minuets from my nose.

Offline sprint

• Copper Member
Frame rate >30fps???
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2001, 12:49:00 AM »
:rolleyes:

You want V-SYNC on  when counting FPS . You can only "see" what your monitor produces .....
so you want to skew your video card to the monitor refresh rates to get the maximum from your  card.  In real life you can only see what the monitor  'shows ya'  anyway.

At resolution 1280x1024, the monitor refresh rate, which is set by Aces High, is  85KHz... so the best you can get with y-sync on is 85 period. So if you got 42 fps with v-sync on, every other screen is what you would be seeing.

Their are other reasons to have V-Sync on.

Disclaimer: This is in no way to be construed as a intimidation. Any thoughts or ideas named in this post are strictly fictional. Please check local laws for applicability. Do not fold, spindle or mutilate. Tax, Title and license not included. Your FPS mileage may vary. Retail Value 1/1000 of one cent. Rinse, repeat.Check six.

sprint
*MOL*

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
Frame rate >30fps???
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2001, 08:22:00 AM »
The eye can detect over 25fps, until motion blur is added anyways.

SKurj

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Frame rate >30fps???
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2001, 11:35:00 AM »
You can't see separate frames at over 25 fps, but you CAN see the difference in movement at up to 60 AFAIK.  For a static picture, 27 fps is just as good as 100... but for a moving image at high resolution with no motion blur (like TV) I can tell the difference up to around 60.

Sprint... I want to clarify what you said a bit.  Yes, you want to leave V-Synch turned on for playing the game.  The only reason to disable v-synch would be if you were benchmarking video cards, then you would want to disable v-synch so that the fps counter would not be limited by your monitor's refresh rate.  If you do this, be sure to enable V-synch again to avoid issues such as the dreaded "rubber bullets" syndrome.  As Sprint mentions, if v-synch is disabled, you are not going to be seeing every frame the video card draws, and that can lead to gunnery problems.

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
Frame rate >30fps???
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2001, 11:43:00 AM »
Having more FPS than you know what to do with is like having your extra money in the bank.

Sure. Having FPS of 25-30 is fine. IF that is the LOWEST it drops.  

IMO you want to get the maximum number of FPS that you can. This way you can not only brag to all about having 90 plus FPS when it's just you and the clear blue skies at 25K  but they only drop to 30-40 when you're 500 feet above the ground fighting around a heavily damaged base under (lots of smoke and fire), under an overcast, cloudy sky and there are a LOT of other contacts (sea, air or land types. doesn't matter) around you.

Westy