Author Topic: if you could travel back in time to the late 30's, would you?  (Read 2650 times)

Offline druski85

• Silver Member
Re: if you could travel back in time to the late 30's, would you?
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2010, 09:27:03 PM »
That's my thinking to, imagine how much of the future you could change, make better with what we know now :eek:

Sorry I misquoted the name of the episode as Toaster of Time rather than the accurate "Time and Punishment." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treehouse_of_Horror_V

Quite funny, and relevant to this discussion.  :lol

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2010, 09:43:13 PM »
It's easy to romanticize the past with the benefit of the knowledge we have now about it.  Having had WW2 history as a passion since I was in grade school, I've spent 40+ years 'living' in that past at times.

One of the things that bothers me sometimes is that we've almost trivialized those folks with calling them the 'greatest generation'.   They were just like you and I and they rose to the occasion when they needed to.  To make them more then that to me minimizes their sacrifice.  I do believe my generation or my kids generation are just as capable.  Clearly there are folks out there doing that right now.

I've spent many years researching the lives of aircrew who didn't survive.  They weren't cartoon pilots.  The reality of war quickly killed any notion of white scarves, medals and fancy uniforms.  Surviving and getting home were all that mattered.  None wished for their siblings or children to ever have to go to war.

My latest project is an American who flew Beaufighters with the RCAF.  Enlisted before WW2.  I have a photo of him with the white scarf.  Two years of training and he finally made it to combat which is where he wanted to be.  He lasted less then a month and he and his navigator along with their Beau have never been found.

Would I like to go back and have a look?  Sure. Stepping into that history to see it for real would be amazing.  Would I want to go back and fight that war?  Not a chance.  Old CorkyJr is invincible in AH.   Dan would be anything but back in the 30s and 40s.

Great points Dan. That term does get trivialized. It's hard to express how greatful I feel to those men and women that had to do things and make sacrifices they did. We can only begin to imagine. I'm a bit more jaded about my generation and those that followed. I remember friends who spit on soldiers. I know a man who lost his son in Vietnam and got phone calls from people saying they were glad his son died at the hands of the North Vietnamese. Many of those people today have grandkids and drive around with a "Support Our Troops" stickers on their can bumper.

Sorry, needed to vent :(

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2010, 09:43:14 PM »
Sorry I misquoted the name of the episode as Toaster of Time rather than the accurate "Time and Punishment." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treehouse_of_Horror_V

Quite funny, and relevant to this discussion.  :lol

DOH!!   :rofl
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2010, 09:46:46 PM »
  I would befriend the Gates and Jackson families.

~AoM~

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2010, 03:51:25 AM »
Anybody ever see "The Final Countdown?"

Awesome movie! 
AAJagerX - XO - AArchAAngelz

trainers.hitechcreations.com

Offline BrownBaron

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2010, 04:16:28 AM »
Invest in American Steel.
O Jagdgeschwader 77

Ingame ID: Johannes

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2010, 04:57:08 AM »
Fly for the Russians, drink Vodka, make love to homely women named Olga and die young  :rock
Olga
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline IronDog

• Nickel Member
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2010, 08:49:27 AM »
I would take 1965ish,and me running the Viet Nam war.It would have been over by 66,and Ho Chi Minh would have been in in a prison so far back,they would have had to feed him with a sling shot.Giap would have been shot for war crimes,and many young Americans would have lived a long life,instead of dying in a cesspool,called Viet Nam!Johnson and McNamara hosed it bad,then Nixon gives it all back!Get out of Afghanistan and Iraq,let them bastiges kill each other to their hearts content!
Dobey

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2010, 09:10:35 AM »
Depends if you like starting and losing wars if you don't then RAF's not for you :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2010, 09:21:32 AM »
olga :aok
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline betty

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2010, 09:41:27 AM »
i would go ONLY if i could take my sound system and my car with me, i would also join the RAF and fly my typhoon!! :banana: :banana:
~~~The Killuminati~~~                                                     

!!!!!POTIUS MORI QUAM FOEDARI!!!!

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2010, 10:49:39 AM »
We hear so much bad stuff going on that we lose perspective, but truth is that there has never been a better time to be alive than right now. World poverty and war related deaths are both demonstrably lower than they have been in recorded history.

The 1930s were "The Dark Valley" (title of a great book on the subject). With hindsight being 20/20 we have a very hard time understanding this, but in reality it was NOT clear that freedom oriented democracy was going to be successful, or even survive. Countries set up with free market orientation and emphasis on personal liberty were doing very poorly in the 30s, with economic stagnation, enormous unemployment, and political instability. Meanwhile, Communism's press releases were generally taken at face value - and there was objectively enormous economic growth in the Soviet Union in the 30s, as they shifted from 19th century agrarian economy towards 20th century industrial one. The Fascist dictatorships provided order, stability, and economic growth that the democracies were hard pressed to match.

If you believed in the rule of law and personal liberty, the 1930s were truly frightening times. More than a few intelligent people honestly believed that the future of democracy was bleak. Seeing what happened from 1939 - 1941 would only make freedom's future look even darker...because people who lived through the times didn't know what would happen at Stalingrad, Leningrad, Midway, Guadalcanal, Kokoda, and the North Atlantic.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2010, 12:18:55 PM »
if you could travel back in time to the late 30's, would you go?

i say late 30's as it would give you time to enlist and get trained up for war.

i most certainly would, it was a better time back then, and i already have about 10 hours in a stearman, 5.5 in a Texan, and a tailwheel endorsement... i'd smoke the flying and oral sections of any pilot test they could throw at me!

question is, do i learn german and fly for the luftwaffe, go to the eagle squadron and fly for the limeyes, or sweat it out until the yanks enter the war... and then navy or air corps?

I think i'd stick it out with the yanks, however between navy and air corps, i guess i would take whichever one would take me....

what would you do?

Is this a time travel question or a trading places hypothetical?

Kind of hard to pass up the opportunity to time travel...

As far as trading my 21st century life for one in the 1930s ?  No thx.

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2010, 01:36:32 PM »
Happy with where and when I'm living right now, wouldn't change a thing.  :aok
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline Wagger

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2010, 05:14:21 PM »
My mother was born in 1925.  I once remember back in the late 90's someone saying don't you wish you could go back to the good old days when you were growing up.  My mom said I spent my childhood as 1 of 5 children of a share cropper in Arkansas.  During school when cotton harvest time came they were taken out of school to go to Texas and pick cotton for $1 a day.  Basically from sunrise to sunset.  At this time she was a Data Processing Supervisor with 15 people under her and also did programing.  Her end answer was not on your life.  She said she would never give up her life growing up because it always reminded her how fortunate and blessed she is now.

As for our children today I can say I have no doubts about their commitment to our nation.  After 22 years in the Army training our young men, and what I have see of them in todays wars they are not only committed they are great in the same ways our fathers and Grandfathers were.  God Bless the United States and the young people who severe her.  To those who have given the greatest sacrifice. 

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.”  George S. Patton