Author Topic: GV Icons!!  (Read 1415 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: GV Icons!!
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2010, 03:54:33 PM »
This post isnt about spawn camping. And yes you are correct dropping eggs takes skill. My point is that enemy GV's are too easy to spot from the sky because of the red icon. Why did they remove the icon from being seen on enemy Gv's when your in a GV? I just say do the same with planes.

Try dropping on tanks without that distance icon may take more skill I think.

Icons fill a function that monitors cannot replicate. For planes OR GVs. You look at a car 2 lanes over and 4 cars ahead and you might be able to make out it's a Ford Explorer (or whatever), but if it were a game it'd be a square with blurry textures. Especially if it's moving. You can pick out a high level of detail with the human eyeball. You can't do that with computer games. You also can't tell depth perception, range, on a single 2D monitor. Icons serve a very real and very specific purpose in-game. The ONLY reason the GV icons show up at 1.5 is because GVers whine about planes attacking them. The reverse is not true: Wirbles and Osty see planes at 6K, and can land shots out well before their target knows they are even there.

It's a double standard, and all it does is serve to feed GV whiners that want all icons removed so they can hide and kill without fear of opposition. Sorry if I've come off a bit grumpy on the matter, but it's an issue that's been growing (from the vocal GV minority) for a long time.

P.S. I'm for icons on gvs from other GVs as well, but for the sake of icons giving away positions behind hills, etc, I don't see a way that it would work well.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2010, 04:11:09 PM »
    I dont see GV till Im already in gun range. Usually its tracers that tip me off...or loud bangs.

As far as I'm concerned the GVs are things to be bombed. Repeatedly.

YES!  :D
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2010, 04:16:28 PM »
There will always be some guy flying around dropping bombs on your head to pad his scores.

There are those who enjoy tank plinking with cannon... has 0 to do with score.
See Rule #4

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2010, 04:23:15 PM »
Exactly.  I bomb gvs and strafe with HurriD in fighter mode to make my score worse.  Then in the off chance I beat some 5 ENY dweeb in the budget model I'm flying,  he might start wondering if he's losing his 1337 skillz.  :)
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2010, 06:05:12 PM »
I have to agree with lusche, and this is with numerous video cards over a number of years.

If anything, the giant roaring/rumbling/vibrating thing would be MORE visible than most GVers wish. If GVs are only visible at 1.5k, then they should only see planes at 1.5k as well.

Only the GV icons aren't visible beyond d1.5k, the GV itself can be visible up to 5k away depending on the skin.  The default skin is easier to spot from far distance because of the glossy shine while custom skinned GVs are a little tougher to spot if not moving and when moving just as easy to spot as a default skinned GV.  M3s and M16s are the easiest of the lot to spot from very far distances as they appear like a bright day-glo green on the terrain.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2010, 06:07:02 PM »
Actually, at distance, they look like BLACK dots. They really don't look bright green to me.

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2010, 06:31:04 PM »
Actually, at distance, they look like BLACK dots. They really don't look bright green to me.
I always thought it depended on angle of the sun.  Sometimes they look like black dots but other times I've seen the "day glow green" AKAK refers to.

One more thing about the GV distance icons and depth perception.  Without the icons to tell me I've just come within d800, d600, etc, as a divebomber or IL-2 driver I would really have no visual cue as to my altitude making augering even more commonplace than it is now.  In real life a pilot wouldn't have the icon, but he would be able to tell his altitude much easier than someone looking at a flat monitor with a fairly monochromatic flat ground.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2010, 06:35:17 PM »
IMO the only one that looks green is the M3...it has that glow you can see from a mile away.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline grumpy37

• Silver Member
      • What I do
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2010, 08:21:51 PM »
For someone that claims to have played this game for many years, you are pretty much clueless how the game works.  GV icons are not visible from the air beyond d1.5 out, and it's easy to spot a moving dot on the ground.

ack-ack

I was actually responding to his claim of it being easier sneak a base with no icon and the implication that makes it easier to game the game.  The base has been flashing for a long time before any GV actually makes it to the base itself and are very easy to see from the tower without the icon.  I can spot a GV well before icon range just by listening for them and looking for the moving black dot on the ground.  The only thing removing the icons would really do is not allow planes looking to bomb pick out the perked GV's, always the ones they target first, and force them to talk with guys on the ground to talk with them to locate the "high value targets"

CO VF-10 "Grim Reapers"   Member JG54 in AVA

Offline grumpy37

• Silver Member
      • What I do
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2010, 08:22:41 PM »
Let me see if I follow your logic . You don't like GV icons because it makes it harder to spawn camp ?

No that is not what I said at all.
CO VF-10 "Grim Reapers"   Member JG54 in AVA

Offline kamori

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2010, 08:47:17 PM »
All Icons air/ ground except friendly should not be in the game..

KAM

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2010, 08:50:18 PM »

Buy me an appropriate display system, and I'm all game.

Until then, keep that stuff to AvA.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2010, 08:51:06 PM »

KAM
I have to disagree, it has been debated over and over. Icons compensate for the lack of real life vision.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2010, 09:09:02 PM »
I have to disagree, it has been debated over and over. Icons compensate for the lack of real life vision.

that's bs fly in the AvA and see for yourself - you can shoot them down like any other plane.  But there not going anywhere it's been debated so no need to discuss it.
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2010, 09:16:34 PM »

In fact I want the GV icon range to be at 6k range because I'm sick and tired of taking off from a base only to catch that one hit wonder bullet from the flak that I couldn't even see until I was 1.5K away, which just so happens to be the perfect kill range for a flak.

Let's make it fair because if they can see us from 6k away we should be able to see them 6k away.
:rofl Have you been killed by Waystin2 lately?
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"