Author Topic: PSSSSSS hitech.....  (Read 3974 times)

Offline bravoa8

• Silver Member
Re: PSSSSSS hitech.....
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2010, 01:30:12 AM »
how dare ht waste precious P38 development time on stoopid sumbarines.  We need to complete all the P38 post war variants  before we start on stoopid stuff like everything else  :neener:
Pffft...

We don't need any more P38s, we need more subs and tanks.

Offline jolly22

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2010, 07:45:27 AM »
OR, we can make a whole new perk category; most likely named ship guns? We could use the points we get from manning guns to use on player controlled subs. Subs could be say... 500 perks? And last al but 24hrs? What do ya say?

3./JG 53 cheerleader - Battle Over The Winter Line - FLY AXIS - JRjolly

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2010, 09:26:35 AM »
Subs, player controlled destroyers, depth charges, PBY's.   :aok
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2010, 05:04:28 PM »

And yes I want to add subs..

HiTech
Blast, I need more room in my sig.  :neener:

« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 05:15:14 PM by crazyivan »
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline rshubert

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2010, 06:39:29 PM »
I thought Gatos were in the war from the beginning, at least since 1941 when the US entered the war.

They were.  We used basically the same sub throughout WWII, with improvements to hull strength and weaponry.  There were actually three classes commonly used in the war, the GATO (1940), BALAO (3-42) and TENCH (2-44).

The pre-war TAMBOR, SARGO, SALMON, and PORPOISE classes were also commonly seen in the war, but not in anything like the same numbers as the GATOS and later boats.

USS Drum was the first of the GATOs to go to war, her first patrol beginning in April 1942.  From Wikipedia:

Drum arrived at Pearl Harbor from the East Coast on 1 April 1942, and after a voyage to Midway Atoll, cleared Pearl Harbor on 14 April on her first war patrol. Cruising off the coast of Japan, she sank Mizuho on 2 May and afterwards endured a 16 hour depth charge attack consisting of 31 depth charges. Later that month she sank three cargo ships before returning to Pearl Harbor on 12 June to refit. Drum's second war patrol, which she made in the waters between Truk and Kavieng from 10 July-2 September, found her efforts frustrated by poor torpedo performance, but she damaged one freighter before returning to Midway to refit.

That should take care of any questions about the class being used "early war".  Unless some clown decides that April 1942 isn't early enough.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 06:45:27 PM by rshubert »

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2010, 08:04:48 AM »
They were.  We used basically the same sub throughout WWII, with improvements to hull strength and weaponry.  There were actually three classes commonly used in the war, the GATO (1940), BALAO (3-42) and TENCH (2-44).

The pre-war TAMBOR, SARGO, SALMON, and PORPOISE classes were also commonly seen in the war, but not in anything like the same numbers as the GATOS and later boats.

USS Drum was the first of the GATOs to go to war, her first patrol beginning in April 1942.  From Wikipedia:

Drum arrived at Pearl Harbor from the East Coast on 1 April 1942, and after a voyage to Midway Atoll, cleared Pearl Harbor on 14 April on her first war patrol. Cruising off the coast of Japan, she sank Mizuho on 2 May and afterwards endured a 16 hour depth charge attack consisting of 31 depth charges. Later that month she sank three cargo ships before returning to Pearl Harbor on 12 June to refit. Drum's second war patrol, which she made in the waters between Truk and Kavieng from 10 July-2 September, found her efforts frustrated by poor torpedo performance, but she damaged one freighter before returning to Midway to refit.

That should take care of any questions about the class being used "early war".  Unless some clown decides that April 1942 isn't early enough.

I have t ostand corrected on the commission dates. Note that I cited '43 as the first commission date - that is what is listed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gato_class_submarine

However, shubert is entirely correct about the drum being commissioned before '43 - and Drum was the 12th Gato so there's no arguing that it's like the first four of the Gato class which were actually originally intended to be Balao class boats (go figure - since the later Balao class came after, not before).

The source on the commission dates is cited in footnote 2 of the wiki entry. I'm not sure what that author was smoking or if he qualified the comment. However, the boat was extremely effective as the war went on, probably in large part because of the improvement in american torpedoes.

In any case, I don't think anyone will argue that the Type VII is as good as the Gato .

Consider, first, a little comparo - The type VII is only about two-thirds the length and half the tonnage (based on the most numerous Type VIIC) of the Gato. It also has only half the torpedo tubes. The Gato was faster - on the surface, it's 21 knots compares pretty favorably to the Type VII's speed of 17.7kts - submerged, 9 compared to 7, and the Type VII was rated for less depth. Range was also less, but still long enough to be awful, unless you didn't mind the filthy, cramped quarters of the Type VII. Also note, the Gato was claimed to have some 48 hours of underwater endurance. The U-Booters were gasping at half that.

Second, the 77 Gatos sank 1.7M tons of Japanese shipping. About a fourth (21) of the class were lost during the war. The Type Vii, of which closer to 700 were built, accounted for some share of the 14M tons of allied shipping sunk but was considered obsolete by end of war - of the 1000 u-boats, all types built, something like 800 were lost. You do the ratios.

Of course, I realize you can't consider the weapon in isolation. The Type VII had arguably better opposition. I just think the VII a bit small and underarmed to be considered a late-war viable u-boat. The Type XXI, otoh... is another story.

Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline camnite

• Copper Member
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2010, 11:29:26 PM »
On another note, the drum still survives in battleship memorial park in Mobile, Alabama, along with the U.S.S. Alabama(BB-60). Very neat deal to walk through and look at and think what all thosegood men went through all those years ago :salute
"I pledge allegiance to the Crimson Tide of the University of Alabama, and to the tradition for which it stands, one nation under Saban, undefeated, with championships and victory over all"
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2010, 04:39:39 AM »
People always mention Catalina when thinking ASW patrol - or any patrol, for that matter.

Don't forget the Sunderland "Flying Porcupine" or the Lockheed Hudson.

As for that latter, it'd make a great EW medium - and has credit for the first RAF kill of the war.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2010, 10:33:47 AM »
Blast, I need more room in my sig.  :neener:

(Image removed from quote.)

Damn good movie :aok
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2010, 11:20:06 AM »
Damn good movie :aok

Maybe... However, you'll note the Title is misspelled. It's actually "The Enemy Blow" and of course, it's about an epic contest between a destroyer Captain and his unterseeboot counterpart.Ultimately, it devolves into a shouting match after the hapless destroyer Captain clumsily beaches his dd right on top of the smaller U-Boot. Tha't s when the dialog gets good:

KM Kapitan: klumsy oaf! vas der fick pasiert? You blow!
USN Captain: You blow! What's the pig idea putting this scow under my keel? And close that hatchway -the whole thing stinks like an open ayus.
KM Kapitan: You start blow now, right here <gesturing to schlong>!
USN Captain: You'd like that you twisted cross-punk-ayus-muthahfuhgiva!

and so on...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 02:01:06 PM by PJ_Godzilla »

Offline Tarstar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2010, 06:29:24 PM »
oops n/m  :bolt:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 06:33:49 PM by Tarstar »

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2010, 06:38:35 PM »

Pfft destroyers. :devil
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline whipster22

• Nickel Member
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2010, 08:44:41 PM »
H8K2 http://www.vectorsite.net/avemily.html

5 20mm cannons scary
just dewbing up the bbs
baby seal

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2010, 10:29:02 AM »
Subs  :aok
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.

Offline Sincraft

• Nickel Member
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2010, 11:30:33 AM »
there will be subs, but they will have big red flags sticking out of the water so you can spot them, wouldn't want people to cry when they get their bases captured by surprise.