Author Topic: What firewall?  (Read 1244 times)

Offline Goner

• Copper Member
What firewall?
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2001, 02:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mr RiplEy:
And when the firewall was enabled, BlackIce didn't report any intrusion attempts. Why? Because the attackers no longer saw my computer on the net.

no, because Norton detected the intrusions first ... that it didn't report about it is probably due to the way you set it up ; you can set up BID so that it does not report too  and just logs).
this is absolutely normal and is reported by scores of people running 2 or even more firewalls/ids packages ; 1 of them stops the probe and the other of course does not see the probe/intrusion it ...
(and don't ask me how you set it up so that your favourite package gets 1st in line, i never found the answer to that question)

Goner

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
What firewall?
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2001, 03:29:00 PM »
Umm Goner first that reply was not directly at or specifically for you.
It is aimed at hopefully any others who may read this thread and need waking up to the dangers Westy included   :)
Your comments however about multiple firewalls and only one detecting problems are to a certain extent correct.
Your secondary firewall will only pick up any threats the first fails to detect hence why some use multiple firewalls.

Btw another page to check out
 http://grc.com/lt/scoreboard.htm

I realise you seem to have a problem with GRC.com why i fail to understand as he is not trying to sell you anything only reporting any failings in the firewalls he tested, of course i accept that nobody likes having there choice criticised but it is wise to keep an open mind when possible.
If your happy paying for your Black Ice Defender only blocking incoming attacks then fine.
But when theres a choice of another firewall that stops all incoming and outgoing communications unless you specifically allow them and its free for personal use (Zone alarm) then please explain wheres the logic in not using it ?
So far i have not found ONE review that rates BID higher than Zonealarm, if you can find one (other than BID themselves) then I reckon anybody can find at least 10:1 in Zonealarms favour.
Oh btw do me a favour and dont try, i wanna play AH not waste time proving a point   :)

Bottom line is your Happy and I am Happy with our choices, and if someone else reads this thread and even thinks about it then its been worthwhile.

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: 214thCavalier ]

Offline Goner

• Copper Member
What firewall?
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2001, 04:20:00 PM »
Umm Goner first that reply was not directly at or specifically for you.

ah, OK ... i thought it was because you said 'you guys' and Westy and i were the only ones posting and not agreeing.

I realise you seem to have a problem with GRC.com

only with the anti-BID propaganda there by Steve Gibson, that's all.
i've been visiting that site for years and Steve is very knowlegeable and a great programmer. the funny thing is that he used to be a BlackICE supporter and was very enthusiastic about it, until 1 day he did a 180 degree turn and started slamming it.  
what happened is anyone's guess ... overall effect was that a lot of people do not take him as serious as they used to.

why i fail to understand as he is not trying to sell you anything only reporting any failings in the firewalls he tested,

i don't know how long you been visiting GRC but you must have noticed a very pro-ZA atmosphere there ...  ;-)

So far i have not found ONE review that rates BID higher than Zonealarm, if you can find one (other than BID themselves) then I reckon anybody can find at least 10:1 in Zonealarms favour.Oh btw do me a favour and dont try, i wanna play AH not waste time proving a point    :)

no chance ; not interested in reviews ... i tried Zone Alarm for quite some time - was in the beta when it was first launched on grc.com - and Tiny Personal Firewall and i just like BID better.

Goner

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
What firewall?
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2001, 05:35:00 AM »
OK children - stop slugging each other off :)

Can someone tell me if XP's own firewaal is worth the effort to set it up? Thank you  :)

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
What firewall?
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2001, 04:52:00 PM »
Sygate Personal Firewall,i've been using it for 6 months and have had no probs..easy to set up and use,free for personal use,no ads :0
Steely
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber