Author Topic: Saitek X-52 and CH Fighterstick Pro Comparison  (Read 508 times)

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
Saitek X-52 and CH Fighterstick Pro Comparison
« on: June 22, 2010, 07:15:33 AM »
Hey guys. about two years ago i posted this to ease the questioning about CH and Saitek users. This site even though from 2005 is STILL extremely accurate in comparison between the X-52 and the Fighterstick Pro.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/ch_products_saitek_x52_review/default.asp

There were also quotes from the old thread i should include...
Great review. I'll add a few comments that are unmentioned in the reviews.

Another X52 Con - The X52 "sliding ring" mechanism of applying pressure to stick is highly counterintuitive to flying, as it requires the MOST pressure to start moving from center, and gets easier as you gain leverage.  This can make the stick very difficult to make those minute last-second adjustments lining up a shot, as you have to push hardest to start the stick moving from center, and it's very easy to overshoot where you'd intended to move it to, because it's hard to start and then moves more easily.

CH - Con (mitigating factor).  While the complaint about the size of the stick is very much spot on, it's really very easy to adjust the hand rest to a comfortable position simply by cutting a piece of foam and taping it in place on top of the actual hand rest on the stick.  (Or alternatively, see Homeboys thread where he removed a section of the stick to shorten it ...)

(AH specific)  Using rotaries for managing trim in AH is no where near as optimal as it is in other sims I've flown, and therefore isn't nearly as much of a "PRO" for the Saitek stick if this is your only sim.  This is because every other sim I've used a rotary control in has adjusted trim instantaneously to the position of the analog control which was intuitive (but potentially allowed for non-realistic trimming, as it's not possible to trim instantaneously in a real aircraft).   AH on the other hand seems to have the trim "adjust into" the position of the analog control at what seems like exactly the rate it would move if you held down the keys to adjust trim, which because we don't have any stick forces to "feel" our trim state in, meant a constant battle of over and undershooting the desired trim state as you tried to "guess" where the trim was going to end up, especially as the X52 lacks enough range to allow anyone but a surgeon to adjust the rotaries with the absolute precision required.

<S>

I have been working with squaddies in learning how to setup joysticks properly for constant 'eyes on bandit' and effectiveness in flight controls and one thing that has always come clear is the amount of deadband required to tame down the rudder control with the X52. I dont know how anyone could fly with it at default settings and once set for proper shooting I would think it would be too rigid for combat.

Somehow they forgot to mention lifespan...

According to that article I must be a 900lb gorilla.  :D
yes, i know i bumped this, but i wanted to add that, my Flightstick Pro, i believe is a good alternative to the Fighterstick Pro. I say this because you can fit your hand comfortably, and I have had little to no problems with it...It is also pretty accurate for a joystick
I sure could have wrote that article right down to the splitter hub. I've owned the x45, x52, and x52 pro. None were satisfying or reliable although the ease of use and ergonomics were there. Went to CH products earlier this year and haven't looked back. Just last week I got tired of recalibrating my ch stick every time I played and sometimes 2 and 3 times during play. Then out of desperation I unplugged the controls from the splitter hub and directly into the computer. Wala, only calibrated once since then.

I have to tell you though I sure miss the timer that the x52 pro had but that is about it.
A few people from that thread including me asked to have it pinned down so as to stop the questions between which is better. The article does not opinionate itself into saying which company is better but gives the advantages and disadvantages of each stick. I also must say that the CH Flightstick Pro is a perfect compromise to the Fighterstick Pro's large awkward handle except that the Flightstick has less buttons. I have used my Flightstick Pro since mid 2008 and its still running as fine as it was back then. only calibrated it again when i took it out of storage last fall
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 08:11:41 AM by 321BAR »
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy