Author Topic: New announcement: Radar Settings  (Read 14371 times)

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
Re: New announcement: Radar Settings
« Reply #150 on: June 23, 2010, 09:15:57 AM »
I rarely get on the boards because it's just the same people whining about this or that or abusing some poor guy about their english or spelling.
I did a self imposed PNG for the above reason.

I am back now because the elitist crap that fills these boards is driving me crazy. (Crazier?) There needs to be more opposing opinions to the "I like their tears" set.

Though, I am guilty of being a vocabulary dweeb.  Sorry.

Back to the OP, the change of radar settings seems to lend tacit approval to the whiners of the "win teh fitez" group who think the history of air combat was to just have dog fights.

The next two items on the whine list will be the removal of gvs and the removal of destructable(?) ground targets.
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #151 on: June 23, 2010, 09:59:45 AM »
But last Sunday was a prime example of what's going wrong. One side was completely outnumbering the other one, and only then the NOE'S started rolling. And not just one or two. It went on for hours, always rapidly switching target at the first sign of resistance. For gameplay, this was a catastrophe.

agreed, Sunday was a prime example. I spent a hour or so watching for flashing bases trying to 2nd guess where the bish horde would be NOEing next. racked up a bunch of kills but it really wasnt much fun.

cant help thinking that most of these players would be better served by a 1-side vs AI arena. or maybe just vs sheds if AIs are too much of a challenge.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #152 on: June 23, 2010, 10:27:50 AM »
I did a self imposed PNG for the above reason.

I am back now because the elitist crap that fills these boards is driving me crazy. (Crazier?) There needs to be more opposing opinions to the "I like their tears" set.

Though, I am guilty of being a vocabulary dweeb.  Sorry.

Back to the OP, the change of radar settings seems to lend tacit approval to the whiners of the "win teh fitez" group who think the history of air combat was to just have dog fights.

The next two items on the whine list will be the removal of gvs and the removal of destructable(?) ground targets.

There is a huge amount of players, like myself, the love a good base capture.

Our idea of a base capture involves fighting enemy.

To many of us, a base capture where the enemy doesn't fight back is boring.

We understand that AcesHigh is about combat and anything that promotes combat is a good thing.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #153 on: June 23, 2010, 11:10:08 AM »
I like to furball, but it consumes maybe 25% of my time online.  Part of the reason AH has kept me as a subscriber for 3+ years now is the variety.  So I fit squarely in the "good decision HTC and hope you keep these settings" crowd, but I am by no means a "dog-fighting is all that matters" player.  Variety is the spice of life, but playing whack-a-mole with non-stop NOE's is quite frustrating and eventually boring.  Base-capture with little or no resistance should be the rare choice, not the first.  I am here after all to get it on with the red guys!  I believe that HTC saw a problem, and is attempting to address it for the health of their game and their bottom line.

:salute

Way
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #154 on: June 23, 2010, 11:18:12 AM »
I have to say that I did discover one downside to the new radar settings after I logged in last night for a few sorties.  With the extended "dot" radar ranges I now have I much better idea of how badly the odds are stacked against me.  Radar looked like an angry swarm of bees surrounding my poor little clipboard airplane icon. 

I have to say I missed the slightly more benign and passive looking "bar" radar from before. 

AH ignorance can be bliss.  :D
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #155 on: June 23, 2010, 11:22:39 AM »
Especially when it is or was considered to be a community controlled game.

I guess it is. It is just a very small part of the community.

Pyro doesn't make settings changes for any other reason but to fix what he see's as a potential problem in gameplay.  AH has NEVER been a community controlled game.  Where on Earth did you get that?  Lastly, For you to think that HTC is caving in to a small band of elite whiners, or whatever you called them, proves that you honestly do not know of what you speak.  

HTC owns this game and they manage it solely at their own discretion.  No one inside the game comes along and tells them what to do.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline macdp51

• Zinc Member
« Reply #156 on: June 23, 2010, 11:24:18 AM »
NOE below 65' aww no biggie - are the trees gonna get kill points? - cuz there was alot of tree abuse last night, just think what the enviro weenies are gonna say about that  :cry
All seeing 20 mile radar - not possible gentlemen especially in WWII era.
And I lament the loss of my beloved deep strike missions - nothing better than grabbing a base 6 sectors to the rear - talk about starting a fight when the front line scanners woke up HHHOOOOO WEEEEEE.
However life goes on and changes will be made - time to adapt.
Going to need to spread the bases out, as it appears overlap will now be an issue, unless of course terrain masking and chaff will come into play.
Let the flaming begin again :rock
 HP

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #157 on: June 23, 2010, 11:38:04 AM »
NOE below 65' aww no biggie - are the trees gonna get kill points? - cuz there was alot of tree abuse last night, just think what the enviro weenies are gonna say about that  :cry
All seeing 20 mile radar - not possible gentlemen especially in WWII era.
And I lament the loss of my beloved deep strike missions - nothing better than grabbing a base 6 sectors to the rear - talk about starting a fight when the front line scanners woke up HHHOOOOO WEEEEEE.
However life goes on and changes will be made - time to adapt.
Going to need to spread the bases out, as it appears overlap will now be an issue, unless of course terrain masking and chaff will come into play.
Let the flaming begin again :rock
 HP

No terrain masking,,,,is there?
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #158 on: June 23, 2010, 11:41:26 AM »
20 mile radar not possible in WWII? I beg to differ.

HiTech does not make the settings in the MA to be historically accurate. They are adjusted to encourage gameplay and fighting.
For further proof, see:
Fuel Burn Rate
CV Hardness
Airfield/town Ack increased
CV Ack

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #159 on: June 23, 2010, 12:02:56 PM »
HTC has made many changes over the years designed to promote combat.

This is just another in a long list.

I don't recall a change implemented to facilitate base taking.

I am curious what warped perversion of the game setup the hoard weenies will come up with now to avoid contact with enemy as they try to capture bases.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #160 on: June 23, 2010, 12:03:12 PM »
I don't remember HTC asking me or anyone actually if noes are a problem that needed fixing. Did I miss a poll that was taken on this?

No poll required ... Dale and/or Pyro must have seen it first hand.

Especially when it is or was considered to be a community controlled game.

Wow ... Where did you get the idea that the amount of money to goes into HTC's coffers is "community controlled" ? Were that true ... HTC would have gone out of business a long time ago.

I guess it is. It is just a very small part of the community.

Yeah ... it's a "community" of "one" ... and that "one" writes the coad.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #161 on: June 23, 2010, 12:33:28 PM »
Wow ... Where did you get the idea that the amount of money to goes into HTC's coffers is "community controlled" ? Were that true ... HTC would have gone out of business a long time ago.
Actually, the amount of money is controlled by the individuals in the community.

The form and content of the game are HTC's, of course.

I keep paying because I like the game.  I like the realism.  I like the many airframes' flight models.  I like the many skins (these guys are legitimate artists.)  And I like flying against other people.
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #162 on: June 23, 2010, 12:43:33 PM »
I really enjoyed the new changes but an unintended consequence came out of it. Now that everyone knows where the fulball is and how large it was, the 1 major furball was so huge that every time I got near it, my frame rate had such a huge hit, that fighting became next to impossible. That all changed of course once I waited several hours for people to clear out.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #163 on: June 23, 2010, 02:05:43 PM »
Ardy you almost gave away the next base rolling strategy.

While the furballers concentrate themselves over two or three feilds, the sissy NOE steamroller crowd will launch massive medium bomber missions. They will flatten a feild in one fast 7k pass with JABBo and fighter cover to clean up while the C47 is inbound. More likely where possible M3 troop deliveries will be the vouge because they wont show on DAR. Heck we may see a resurgence of hot A20 sticks because of the 8-500 pounds, fast speed to target, and furball abillity when light.

Gents dust off your B26's and Lanc's. Fast attack missions with up to 10 boxes of B26's will become very popular to roll feilds. HTC just gave us back a target rich environment where good bomber pilots like 999000 are going to rule base taking with the help of good furballers tagging along using them for bait.

Guys this game has reached the point that the following question is askable: Are we so afraid of loosing a fight of any kind that we accept being safe and bored in a rinse and repeat rut?

I think HTC answered this question for us with the DAR change. Why aren't we discussing how to use this change to our advantage as opposed to telling everyone in this Forum how "Absolutly Inflexeble Most of YOU Seem to BE" in a game that requires maximum mental agillity to even HO successfully? The real WW2 generation did not whine about their lives like we do over every tiny change to this game. They just made lemonaid with the lemons and found a distillery to party at with an NOE raid........what a whiny culture we have become......

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #164 on: June 23, 2010, 02:41:57 PM »
I am sure the non-furballers will adapt and respond to the changes, they always have done in the past.

There are ways to overcome the latest changes and I'm sure some of the more 'adept' guys will realise them within a short time.

Would be kind of funny if all it led to was a huge increase in hoard sizes and FH's being dropped all the time.

Lusche - Many, many times when I played I (in fact most of the 367th, and others) bailed out of planes to up against an NOE.
Upping against an NOE or capped field and successfully defending it was very satisfying.
You just had to completely forget about REALITY BASED GAMEPLAY.

Fixed
Wag more, bark less.