Author Topic: New announcement: Radar Settings  (Read 14396 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: New announcement: Radar Settings
« Reply #180 on: June 23, 2010, 05:23:24 PM »
Those that ONLY want to furball and not help with any sort of base capture or defense, should go to the DA where they have this nifty thing called Furball Island.

Why should we have to?  Why should we have to move if we don't play how you want us to play?  I find the whole base capturing thing boring as I've 'been there and done that' many years ago.  The MA is open to all and that is where I choose to play.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #181 on: June 23, 2010, 05:52:11 PM »
Base-taking spawns fights......us furballers get mad when yall land grabbers go NOE or drop the FH because you kill those fights.......

This is the best thing to hit Aces High since Ive been in the game, I hope it stays. :rock
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #182 on: June 23, 2010, 05:52:40 PM »
...if you completely destroy people and then heap abuse on them, or hazing as some view it, you run a very real risk of chasing someone off from the game if not the hobby of simming.  

I fail to see how taking away simple NOE's equates to heaping abuse on a person and hazing them.  What is happening here is that you and those that are on your side in this argument make such broad generalizations about who others are and how they treat others that you have created unrealistic paper tigers that have caused you to form opinions that are not based on reality.  There is much that can be said about this but the fact remains that the experts that have created this game and make their livelyhood from this game have determined that this is the best thing to do for their game.  
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #183 on: June 23, 2010, 05:57:34 PM »
Im trying to figure out this whole stereotype that if your not into the large mass NOE smash grab mission type, then your automaticly categorized as a "furballer".
There is a huge crowd out there that love to kill things. Personally, I love the whole "war" idea and the fact that you get to take bases. It adds so much excitement to the game. If they implemented that in the WW1 arena, it would be much less wasted server space.
Fact here is that it ADDS to the game, It is most certainly  notTHE game.
 Nothing has been done to appease or give into any crowd, it just simply made things alot more challenging for all.
What I think is funny is the fact that most of these guys that are consistantly in those NOE missions will cry "HORDE" if the same tactic is used against them. Just think, you dont have to worry anymore  :aok
****Let the beatings begin***

in game name: Tralfaz

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #184 on: June 23, 2010, 05:58:42 PM »
Why should we have to?  Why should we have to move if we don't play how you want us to play?  I find the whole base capturing thing boring as I've 'been there and done that' many years ago.  The MA is open to all and that is where I choose to play.

ack-ack

Thats the whole point though isn't it?
"MA is open to all" and therefore open to all forms of gameplay.

Theres a certain minority who consider any other method of gameplay that doesn't meet their 'standards' as being wrong, lame etc etc.

Was going to reactivate my account once I completed my move to Sydney next month, think I'll just hold off.
'Rules' might have changed, same old problems.

[edit] Traflz - It doesn't make it more challenging to ALL, in fact it only affects one group of players, and definately doesn't affect another group, easy to work out which ones. (effect as in makes it more challenging)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 06:14:31 PM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline allaire

• Silver Member
« Reply #185 on: June 23, 2010, 06:16:36 PM »
That statement is about some of the attitudes prevalent in the MAs that might hurt the game in the long run by killing numbers.  It looks like it has some truth to it.

I think that the repeated use of NOEs to roll bases is cheesy but to drop the deck to 65ft is a little bizarre and harsh.  100ft would have been plenty as all know that most NOE basemilkers have trouble flying under 500' over land.  When I first started I went on a NOE and had people who couldn't maintain a consistent height to save their life.  Not to mention that withing the first 2 minutes it went from 30 people to 23 what with people wanting to take a swim. :rofl  I have no problem with people that want to do what they want to do in the MA it's when they try to dictate what others do is when it annoys me.
"I drank what?" -Socrates

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #186 on: June 23, 2010, 06:19:50 PM »
I just learned that NOE was under 400 feet, not 200 like I thought.  And now they go and change it on me. 

Oh, well.  More of a challenge. 
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
« Reply #187 on: June 23, 2010, 06:22:20 PM »
Was 500 ;)
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #188 on: June 23, 2010, 06:44:55 PM »
Actually, the amount of money is controlled by the individuals in the community.

Exactly ... and if gameplay were left to the devices of this community ... this game would have died a fast death.

So ... it is Dale's gameplay decisions that has kept this boat afloat for all these years by providing a fun and challenging game that people will want to pay to play.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #189 on: June 23, 2010, 06:46:37 PM »

Was going to reactivate my account once I completed my move to Sydney next month,

Australia?

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #190 on: June 23, 2010, 06:52:51 PM »
Australia?

Yup, fly out July 20th.
Getting out of the UK before total meltdown!
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #191 on: June 23, 2010, 07:14:17 PM »
You gents do know that the guys who flew the NOE missions for real often brought pieces of trees, or broken props back from hitting the water.

The Beaufighter guys flew low level as a rule, many leaving parachutes behind as they were to low to bail.  50 feet was was high with 20 feet being best. They often got salt water sprayed all over the windscreen and could tell they were low enough by the prop wash kicking up water behind them.  Practice was to climb to 200 feet just before the target to allow for a shallow dive.  When going after shipping, if you were low enough you could see the silhouette of the ships on the horizion.

And we're talking hand flying it all the way on 5-7 hour missions with no autopilot to help them.

Dropping the radar height if anything just adds to the challenge and the realism.   Now if I could only get me a Beaufighter :)

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #192 on: June 23, 2010, 07:22:57 PM »
You gents do know that the guys who flew the NOE missions for real often brought pieces of trees, or broken props back from hitting the water.

The Beaufighter guys flew low level as a rule, many leaving parachutes behind as they were to low to bail.  50 feet was was high with 20 feet being best. They often got salt water sprayed all over the windscreen and could tell they were low enough by the prop wash kicking up water behind them.  Practice was to climb to 200 feet just before the target to allow for a shallow dive.  When going after shipping, if you were low enough you could see the silhouette of the ships on the horizion.

And we're talking hand flying it all the way on 5-7 hour missions with no autopilot to help them.

Dropping the radar height if anything just adds to the challenge and the realism.   Now if I could only get me a Beaufighter :)

Beaufighter yes.

Realism? Is in the eye of the beholder, and depends on what part of and how much realism suits the persons particular style of gameplay.

Eg
Want to sit on the runway warming your engine up - thats realism
Want anything but perfect summer days - thats realism
Want in-flight failures - thats realism

Realism is a very subjective point of view
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 07:25:53 PM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #193 on: June 23, 2010, 07:23:28 PM »
Yup, fly out July 20th.
Getting out of the UK before total meltdown!
Congrats then on your move you will have fun. :aok

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #194 on: June 23, 2010, 07:26:19 PM »
HTC is not taking the "win the war" aspect out of the game, they are just turning it more toward a strategic type war.

While I'm a "fighter guy" and preffer to fight other fighters I'm not above defending a field, or dropping buffs before they can drop. With the new dar set-up when I see a red dot coming in I'll have more than 10 minutes to get my 38 in the air and at it's best climb rate I can get to 25k. More options for us guy who were looking for fights.

As for you guys that are hell bent on winning the war, go for it! It may take a bit more planning, and bit co-ordination, maybe a bit more skill, but those that want it and like it it really shouldn't be that big of a problem.

For those worried about the "new guys" giving up due to the high learning curve... I call BS Get off your high horse and whine about what is really bothering you. If you were so worried about keeping new guys I'd see you more often in the TA.

For the new guys, yes the game has a high curve, but every minute you put in to learning new things about the controls, vehicles, planes, tactics and combat the more fun you will have down the road. We have all been on the bottom of the food chain, and practice and a willingness to learn will move you up that chain readily until your one of the sharks we ALL hope to be someday.