Author Topic: New announcement: Radar Settings  (Read 14382 times)

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: New announcement: Radar Settings
« Reply #210 on: June 23, 2010, 08:48:03 PM »
I think the AR-234 may become the new base killer of choice in conjunction with NOE raids. A 415 MPH jet that will be in so fast & then will level all the hangars very quickly & then leave the standard 110's & the usual town killers to do their thing. Timing will be the critical thing though.

Offline blutic

• Copper Member
« Reply #211 on: June 23, 2010, 08:52:31 PM »
Thats the whole point though isn't it?
"MA is open to all" and therefore open to all forms of gameplay.

If it is open to all? Why are there perk points in the MA?
This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.—Dwight Eisenhower, April 16, 1953

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #212 on: June 23, 2010, 08:54:43 PM »

Open to all & you will have to do some work to get the perk points to up perk Planes? Sorry that is how it is.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 23, 2010, 08:54:44 PM »

Do perks point make the MA not open to all styles of gameplay?

You can furball, grab bases, fly buffs, hunt buffs, do CV battles, fly NOE raids and so on without a single perk point.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #214 on: June 23, 2010, 08:59:48 PM »
Do perks point make the MA not open to all styles of gameplay?

You can furball, grab bases, fly buffs, hunt buffs, do CV battles, fly NOE raids and so on without a single perk point.

I think he might have misunderstood the jist of my post. TY for specifying exactly what I meant.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #215 on: June 23, 2010, 09:08:26 PM »
Thinking about the whole 20 mile dot dar thing.
I think it changes nothing.
If it gets an extra 2 mins warning for incoming bad guys at 240mph (see Lanc example few back)
For most fighters (LW arenas anyway) it may drop the extra warning to 1 min.

People who didn't up to defend prior to the changes are unlikely to up against a hoard even with a whole 1 min extra. You need to be upping BEFORE the hoard breaks the dot dar ring.
Then again dot dar will only last until the bad guys reach the field (if it wasn't 'killed' before the main attack), then you are back to no dot dar anyway.

People never watched the map in the past (amazing what you can spot ahead of time IF YOU LOOK), seems like things haven't got any better with time.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #216 on: June 23, 2010, 09:09:10 PM »
Base-taking spawns fights......us furballers get mad when yall land grabbers go NOE or drop the FH because you kill those fights.......

This is the best thing to hit Aces High since Ive been in the game, I hope it stays. :rock
Sorry, logic check . . . going NOE into an undefended base to get a sneak capture kills a fight . . . how?  There's no fight there to kill.

I fear the unintended consequence of this will be that the horde is favored (announced or unannounced, it's still a horde), and the small-scale NOE raid that is much easier for one or two alert defenders to thwart is harmed.  Most of the horde captures I see have the bombers come in at altitude already and they simply flatten the base, so they aren't affected as much.  By contrast, a raid with smaller numbers (say 5-8) often wants / needs a couple sets of bombers to take the town down quickly.  At a 65 foot ceiling, those lumbering buff formations will be the most challenging to get in (if possible at all, depending on terrain), and will likely be abandoned.  Fewer captures means frustration rather than fun for these small squads, which may mean several band together and form something more horde-like.

Maybe.

We'll see how it all plays out.  I'm sure the majority of the player base will adapt - it will be interesting to see just how.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 23, 2010, 09:16:42 PM »
Thinking about the whole 20 mile dot dar thing.
I think it changes nothing.

It changes a few things. Not for the standard from A to B base attack stuff, or even the "furballers".

But for the single buff pilot trying to hit a target (strats for example) deep behind enemy lines. On many maps you could skip dars by careful mission planning - while that did not made him totally invisible (thanks to darbar and flashing tonws), it still left any potential interceptor with some kind of guesswork. As a dedicated buff hunter, I did like that.
Now he's in plain sight all of the time. Single glance will always reveal not only where he exactly is, but also where he's going to. He'S just back to brute force & ignorance, instead of being more able to increase his survival chances by planning his route.
Not unrealistic, but I liked the old gameplay aspect more, even though it made "my job" much easier.

Also, the base radars are now overlapping very much. For example, right now you have many airbases in LWO that are within the radar circle of one or even several vehicle bases one sector away. With the new 65ft alt limit, you are basically "on screen" as soon as you take of. I do not like that either.

If anyone had asked me (of course nobody ever does  :furious) I would have lowered the dar alt to maby 100ft, but left the radar range to 12 miles. Maybe I would have had increased the air warning range instead of the radar range "We know something is out there, but it's not on screen yet"
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 09:20:29 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #218 on: June 23, 2010, 09:22:07 PM »
EZ25280 - I think you hit it spot on.

Small squad over land NOE will most likely become a thing of the past. Doesn't affect water/sea ones.

I would expect larger and probably higher hoards, tower dar being 'killed' all along front lines, high alt buffs flatenning bases totally.

It's the logical adaptation.

Lusche - Yeah, I hadn't thought about buffs picking their way between bases. :(

OK enough for tonight, posted more this night than the last year lol.
Have a good one, one and all..
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #219 on: June 23, 2010, 09:23:24 PM »
I would have had increased the air warning range instead of the radar range "We know something is out there, but it's not on screen yet"

same :aok
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline falcon23

• Silver Member
« Reply #220 on: June 23, 2010, 09:24:27 PM »
It changes a few things. Not for the standard from A to B base attack stuff, or even the "furballers".

But for the single buff pilot trying to hit a target (strats for example) deep behind enemy lines. On many maps you could skip dars by careful mission planning - while that did not made him totally invisible (thanks to darbar and flashing tonws), it still left any potential interceptor with some kind of guesswork. As a dedicated buff hunter, I did like that.
Now he's in plain sight all of the time. Single glance will always reveal not only where he exactly is, but also where he's going to. He'S just back to brute force & ignorance, instead of being more able to increase his survival chances by planning his route.
Not unrealistic, but I liked the old gameplay aspect more, even though it made "my job" much easier.

Also, the base radars are now overlapping very much. For example, right now you have many airbases in LWO that are within the radar circle of one or even several vehicle bases one sector away. With the new 65ft alt limit, you are basically "on screen" as soon as you take of. I do not like that either.

If anyone had asked me (of course nobody ever does  :furious) I would have lowered the dar alt to maby 100ft, but left the radar range to 12 miles. Maybe I would have had increased the air warning range instead of the radar range "We know something is out there, but it's not on screen yet"

X2 :aok

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #221 on: June 23, 2010, 09:58:46 PM »
....and Hitech said that the flashing range is still 12 miles even tho the dar ring has been moved to 20 miles. So the over lapping circle will show dots, but will not set off the flash warning.

I said no such thing, I said the warning range was the same as it was before. I never looked at the current settings which is different for fighters, bombers and vehicles.

HiTech

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #222 on: June 23, 2010, 09:59:40 PM »
Sorry, logic check . . . going NOE into an undefended base to get a sneak capture kills a fight . . . how?  There's no fight there to kill.

It kills fights because some run from undefended base to undefended base. The minute they encounter resistance they abandon the current objective to move onto another undefended base. There is no fight too kill because some do not wish to fight, they would rather display their prowess against objects that don't move, and with the exception of auto ack doesn't shoot back.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #223 on: June 23, 2010, 10:01:40 PM »

I will agree with your assesment, although it not only pertains to a single person flying bombers, but also for dedicated bomber squads/groups. There has to be a "fog-of-war" maintained in this game. Otherwise the "hunt" is eliminated, such as it is now.

If I were to roll our bomb group in force now, overlapping radar circles eliminate the ability to keep our presence somewhat of a mystery as to exactly where we are and where we are going. We cannot plot a course to & from that ensures the best possible outcome, which is how I prefer to play this game. It is also unrealistic to have folks plink away at a line of radar towers in advance of a two-hour long buff run. Too many, too far- especially with the current strat setup having no effect on downtimes.

I would repectfully ask HiTech to reinstate the former radar radius, but do what you will with the NOE level. Otherwise, I see this current setup encouraging the above dar hordes he despises as much as the NOE ones.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #224 on: June 23, 2010, 11:30:57 PM »
I said no such thing, I said the warning range was the same as it was before. I never looked at the current settings which is different for fighters, bombers and vehicles.

HiTech

Hitech it was my understanding that the default off-line arena settings, matched the main arena settings. Is that still correct, (not counting the recent change to the radar range and altitude) so that if You fly off-line (with default settings) you would see the "old" fighter and bomber warning ranges, as well as the "old" radar range?
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3