Author Topic: Virus Protection  (Read 293 times)

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
Virus Protection
« on: July 02, 2010, 11:49:24 PM »
OK just a little back story,

I purposely let my virus protection run out because i was not satisfied with it. (Nortons) I would like an opinion on a DECENT AV program for my comp. all advise would be appreciated
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
Re: Virus Protection
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 02:04:45 AM »
Majority people in here will say eset nod 32, I use kaspersky internet suite and free version of malwarebytes myself and works for me.
I have never used eset nod 32, I have no comment on the software, but others say the AV software works very well.
Norton can be hard to completely remove from your computer.
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 06:54:04 AM »
Symantec has a utility to undo most of the damage done by installing Norton, but the only way to really get rid of all the damage it has done is to a clean re-install the operating system.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 01:37:01 PM »
Norton is like AVG, where the A/V's are embedded in your OS, like a virus.

ESET Smart Security 4 is what I use and will renew for 2 more years.  
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline aaronr

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 01:38:11 PM »
I've heard that the latest versions of Norton are much improved, BUT! even "much" improved doesn't mean much when it was the most bloat ware infested, Invasive Monster ever invented, since peter Norton left it alone for the wolves at Symantec to destroy. I have used NOD 32 for at least ten years (now using ESET Smart Security as the above poster) and have to say I have tried nearly every AV known to man. I also could safely recommend Kaspersky, the only caveat I see there is that it has a learning process which will constantly ask you questions while it's learning how you want it to interact. Kaspersky has great ratings with Av comparatives, a non profit consumer AV rating service located here.  
http://www.av-comparatives.org
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 01:49:26 PM by aaronr »
MOBO: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, Win 7 Ult X64,  CPU:  i5 6600K @ 4.7  X 47 mult 1.25v core.
Enermax liquid cooling GFX: EVGA GTX 960 SSC 4 GB
PWR: Corsair RM750i RAM: DDR4 Patriot 2800 8GB X 2
Prime 95 12 hrs max temp 66c

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 05:21:45 PM »
I have to agree when I first started using kaspersky it was annoying, theres a learning curve.In fact my brother gave me his subscription because he couldn't deal with the software. I have been using it for over 3 years now and used to it and just bought another year. Sandboxie comes with kaspersky now which I find pretty handy at times to run software or suspicious email attachments.

One of these days I will have to try ESET, but I guess if it isn't broke why fix it.
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 04:16:37 PM »
Ok thanks gents I guess I will be getting the kapersky and going forward with that,,, LawnDart :bolt:
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline aaronr

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 04:40:12 PM »
Ok thanks gents I guess I will be getting the kapersky and going forward with that,,, LawnDart :bolt:

The local Fry's here in San Diego is selling Kaspersky with rebates that make the end cost = 0.
So if you can wait a few weeks for your rebate you can get it free. I still am partial to E-SET/ NOD-32
But thats a matter of GUI and some small things. If you check out that AV comparatives site you will see that both consistently score very near the top and you can look at the archives I think both have the best records over the years. Some very popular ones occasionally have horrible scores but sell well because of hype and the makers give it away to OEM computer retailers to get their name out.
I think you will not regret your choice. :cool:
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 04:42:21 PM by aaronr »
MOBO: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, Win 7 Ult X64,  CPU:  i5 6600K @ 4.7  X 47 mult 1.25v core.
Enermax liquid cooling GFX: EVGA GTX 960 SSC 4 GB
PWR: Corsair RM750i RAM: DDR4 Patriot 2800 8GB X 2
Prime 95 12 hrs max temp 66c