Author Topic: tiger armour question  (Read 3345 times)

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
Re: tiger armour question
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2010, 06:43:21 PM »
I am bumping this because I did find such a picture, where if it wasnt killed it was at least incapacitated through the mantle.
(Image removed from quote.)
One round hit the actual hole for the gunners sight. It went down hill from there.

Why do I have images of the sniper duel scene in "Saving Private Ryan" in my head???  ya know, the one where the shot goes right through the enemy sniper's scope?  :O
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2010, 09:48:08 PM »
I am bumping this because I did find such a picture, where if it wasnt killed it was at least incapacitated through the mantle.
(Image removed from quote.)
One round hit the actual hole for the gunners sight. It went down hill from there.
Nice find.

Interesting how the side of the mantlet shattered from the impact.  From the previous discussion, I am not sure you could argue, then, that the mantlet over turret is really reacting the same as a solid 220mm plate would. 

In other words, if a round shattering a portion of the mantlet takes the turret out of action, then in "game terms" the mantlet armor is all you get (protection for the crew in real life is obviously a different matter).

Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2011, 05:26:19 PM »
Some would argue that a space in the armour is more effective then a solid block. With the pieces sitting there they may have been removed in the shop?
Not sure, but it is interesting that later versions of the tiger 1 moved to a monocular sight and beefed up that specific part of the mantle.

Offline M0nkey_Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2011, 05:55:05 PM »
Why do I have images of the sniper duel scene in "Saving Private Ryan" in my head???  ya know, the one where the shot goes right through the enemy sniper's scope?  :O
Now that you mention it...
FlyKommando.com

"Tip of the dull butter knife"
delta07

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2011, 11:33:01 PM »

these will probably help you.  :x  :aok
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline Dr_Death8

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2011, 12:06:02 PM »
Yeah, looks cool but was proven impossible by Mythbusters? Basically the convex lenses deflect the round.

Hitting a Tiger on the numbers (side) of the turrent will normally knock out the turrent as well.  :salute

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2011, 12:27:38 PM »
Yeah, looks cool but was proven impossible by Mythbusters? Basically the convex lenses deflect the round.

Hitting a Tiger on the numbers (side) of the turrent will normally knock out the turrent as well.  :salute

Lots of movies have sold that story-line clip, Sniper, Enemy at the Gate, and probably others.
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2011, 10:03:32 PM »

There is no such thing as a "turrent."

A "turret," on the other hand, is that spinny thingy that sits on top of a tank with a gun sticking out of it.

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2011, 11:38:23 PM »
Photo edited. Thanks.

WildWzl

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2011, 12:52:09 AM »
Been a while since I played aces high, those graphics are sweet...

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2011, 11:52:28 PM »
There is no such thing as a "turret."

A "turrent," on the other hand, is that Bushy thingy that sits on the side of a tank with a broom sticking out of it.

Thank-you English Professor 101.  :D  anything useful to add?
WildWzl

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2011, 12:48:16 PM »
I like the luck category myself as for sniping Carlos Hathcock a marine sniper in Vietnam shot an enemy sniper who was hunting him through his scope. and look up Michael Wittmann heck got took out by a rocket off of a typhoon.  :aok
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2011, 12:53:36 PM »
Been a while since I played aces high, those graphics are sweet...

And to think it's been upgraded since that SS was taken?

Come on back and give it another month

:cheers:
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2011, 08:59:01 PM »
and look up Michael Wittmann heck got took out by a rocket off of a typhoon.  :aok
That's been debunked and most historians give credit to a gentleman named Ekins from Sherman Firefly.

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2011, 01:10:02 PM »
hmm up to speculation of course..... :noid
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE