Author Topic: I SAY....PERK THE BIG BOMBERS!  (Read 4887 times)

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
Re: I SAY....PERK THE BIG BOMBERS!
« Reply #90 on: June 27, 2010, 05:12:23 AM »
formation salvo 2 = 6x500lb = 3000lb, which is equivalent to ~3,600lb of 1,000lb bombs, enough to drop a hangar if you're accurate enough. or you can salvo 3 to be really sure, still 9 and a bit hangars.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #91 on: June 27, 2010, 05:27:28 AM »
formation salvo 2 = 6x500lb = 3000lb, which is equivalent to ~3,600lb of 1,000lb bombs, enough to drop a hangar if you're accurate enough. or you can salvo 3 to be really sure, still 9 and a bit hangars.

OK I'll go with that.

The whole time the guy is tootling around in his Lancs dropping 9 hangers what are the defenders doing?
Part of a creeping apathy toward having to defend important assets.

Couple of good examples -
CV - covered earlier
VH - Going back to the single arena days, 500 guys on a small map. How often was the V Base that spawned into HQ snuck fully up? VERY often, and yes it happened to my side when I was on, so I was just as guilty of not watching what was going on.  Did lead to awsome fights to retake it though  :lol
Base near HQ - Same as V Bases, no-one noticed until too late.
HQ goes down - How many sat and bit**** about it v how many actually resupplied it.

The majority of the changes were to compensate for -
Lack of awareness
Someone elses job
Cant be bothered

Its almost to the point where you wont have to worry about protecting any assets because a way will be found to make it so the players don't have to.
I know it kinda wandered off topic a little, but it's all part of the bigger picture.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #92 on: June 27, 2010, 05:33:06 AM »
My view is that the F6 bomb sight is far too easy in auto mode....... plus I would welcome a perk on ord over 500lb. (250kg)

I also believe that,

"bombers"  (as decided by the clipboard button) should only be permitted drop/release from F6
"attackers" (as decioded by the clip board button) should have F6 & formations disabled, forcing pilot release

The main criticsm I have of AH bombing at the moment is the ability to drop small targets with a high degree of certainty from alts of upto and exceeding 20K when using the auto mode bomb sight.

The main concern I have of the bomber in AH game play is the lack of bomber targets that interface with game play in a direct way.  Strat is very indirect and now (generally) very remote.

Medium bombers carry not much more than heavy fighters and so we see the  P38, P47, Typhoon, P51 (all with 1000lb'ers) favoured over the Mossie, A20, B25 , B26, (limited to 500lb) perking ord over 500 would tend to redress the balance and reflect the comparative rareness of the 1000lb bomb load used with fighter attackers.

Rockets (air to ground) and ammo are also far too effective against sructures IMO. This should be weakened to return the role of building attrition to the bomb.

Hopefully the net result of this would be more use of medium bombers with their heavier ord loadouts (when limited to 500lb bombs) for town and airfield attrition.
Ludere Vincere

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #93 on: June 27, 2010, 05:38:01 AM »
The main criticsm I have of AH bombing at the moment is the ability to drop small targets with a high degree of certainty from alts of upto and exceeding 20K when using the auto mode bomb sight.

I've always wanted a wind layer at 10k,12k,14k,20k, and a strong one at 25k. This way, they would be more accurate at lower altitudes.

The main concern I have of the bomber in AH game play is the lack of bomber targets that interface with game play in a direct way.  Strat is very indirect and now (generally) very remote.

Agreed 110%, the bomber guys need something to affect gameplay other than the strats which aren't doing the job.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #94 on: June 27, 2010, 05:43:19 AM »
Tilt I fully understand where you're coming from.

But -
Perking 1000lbs for heavy buffs would all but kill them from the game. They simply aren't worth it.

F6 - I totally agree with, in buffs bomb release F6 only!
Easy mode sight - Dunno, you have to give the newbs a carrot, or risk losing them after 2 weeks.

Strat - Yup, never was great back in 2007, heard it's worse now. It does need a way to directly interface with 'main game play'.

Still say if perking ord - only for those planes were it would be considered a rare loadout, that may affect Pony usage etc for ground attack and bring in more of the regular ones (Tiffys, Jugs, Mossies etc)

Rockets - Was the Tiffy and Mossie given the correct rockets after the remodell, or do they still use the generic U.S. one?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 05:45:10 AM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2010, 07:56:23 AM »
I disagree with only able to drop bombs from the bombsight, and here's why.

Most of the medium bombers were also used to do low level runs, esp in the pacific.
The vast majority of those runs were 500 feet or less, many of them used either delay fuses or parachute bombs.
So they did not have the bombs going off until the bombers were clear.

NOE in medium bombers works quite well if you know what your doing. And its following historical precedent so why should they be punished? Heck most of the b25's don't even have a bombsight!

Offline grumpy37

• Silver Member
      • What I do
« Reply #96 on: June 27, 2010, 08:06:13 AM »
How about set a flat perk cost per non heavily  damaged aircraft or GV no mater where you are?  This would make anyone think twice about bomb and bail tactics.
[/q

I meant to add you only get charged the perk if you BAIL out of a perfectly good plane, not if you get shot down.  This may stop or at least limit the number of bomb and bail tactics.
CO VF-10 "Grim Reapers"   Member JG54 in AVA

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 27, 2010, 08:09:27 AM »
I meant to add you only get charged the perk if you BAIL out of a perfectly good plane, not if you get shot down.  This may stop or at least limit the number of bomb and bail tactics.

Will change them only into bomb & auger or bomb & rip off yer wing tactics.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #98 on: June 27, 2010, 08:24:07 AM »
If i've said it once, i've said it a hundred times. The problem is not with the bombers themselves, but with the ord bunkers that are left up at the enemy fields. How hard is it to take out 4 ord bunkers?! Hit supplys at the back bases and they won't get the front lines supplied. The game is setup in a way that you can effectively take bombers out of play without the need to perk anything. 2 loaded 51s can takes out bomber hangers and 3 can get hangers and ord.
But you never see that happening. Instead, guys just climb to 15k over their own field waiting for the emeny to come to them. All one has to do is watch the map to see what is unfolding. If the bad guys hit your VH and ords...guess what, GVs are coming. If they're hitting dar and fighter hangers...planes are coming.
Some folks expect HTC to reconfigure the game because they're not wise enough to think for themselves. "oh the enemy is bombing us. HTC needs to perk the bombers and ord" :rolleyes:  No, you need to go blow up the bad guys ord or take their hangers out. You don't need 7 guys hanging out over your own field waiting for a couple of 47s to come in to do what you should be doing at their field.
Last night for instance, I watch the map for almost 2 hours as 1 set of B17s hit every radar tower on our front lines. He must have gotten a dozen before i caught up to him. By then he was at almost 40K. Not 1 person on my side, in that area at the time even attempted to go after the bombers.
There is nothing wrong with the way the game is laid out. But if you want to play the "win the war" thing, then use the tools HTC has given you, instead of asking for the bad guys to be handicapped with perked ords, planes and whatever else you can come up with.

TAHNK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! Like ThndrEgg says many many time on country channel...."DON'T WANT BASES TAKEN PORK TROOPS' do they NO! Same with bombers dont want your gv bombed pork ords. Get back into the game peole and don't just sit back for easy kills and let everyone else do all the work.  :rock
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #99 on: June 27, 2010, 09:18:35 AM »
If i've said it once, i've said it a hundred times. The problem is not with the bombers themselves, but with the ord bunkers that are left up at the enemy fields. How hard is it to take out 4 ord bunkers?! Hit supplys at the back bases and they won't get the front lines supplied. The game is setup in a way that you can effectively take bombers out of play without the need to perk anything. 2 loaded 51s can takes out bomber hangers and 3 can get hangers and ord.
But you never see that happening. Instead, guys just climb to 15k over their own field waiting for the emeny to come to them. All one has to do is watch the map to see what is unfolding. If the bad guys hit your VH and ords...guess what, GVs are coming. If they're hitting dar and fighter hangers...planes are coming.
Some folks expect HTC to reconfigure the game because they're not wise enough to think for themselves. "oh the enemy is bombing us. HTC needs to perk the bombers and ord" :rolleyes:  No, you need to go blow up the bad guys ord or take their hangers out. You don't need 7 guys hanging out over your own field waiting for a couple of 47s to come in to do what you should be doing at their field.
Last night for instance, I watch the map for almost 2 hours as 1 set of B17s hit every radar tower on our front lines. He must have gotten a dozen before i caught up to him. By then he was at almost 40K. Not 1 person on my side, in that area at the time even attempted to go after the bombers.
There is nothing wrong with the way the game is laid out. But if you want to play the "win the war" thing, then use the tools HTC has given you, instead of asking for the bad guys to be handicapped with perked ords, planes and whatever else you can come up with.

You are correct and I completely agree.  Its just that simple for someone to do, but in todays society we promote laziness and the lack of effort.  

I would look deeper behind this facade of this complaint, it boils down to a few things and one of which is score and How can we can make it easier to get more kills with the least effort?  
This idea of perking bombers or ords is sort of like the same argument that lowering dar would promote more fights..... yeah right.  Thank the BBS Generals who finally convinced the Kremlin or they succumbed to make that brilliant change with their infinite wisdom and insight.  
For many of you, not all of you that have posted here, if you dont have the advantage, not just an advantage but "the advantage" in some form or fashion, you would not fight anyhow, period.  Why?, score.  Some will say it isn't, but you all know that we have seen many of you talk about your KD, KH, etc. etc. and we all know that if you are caught 1vs1 without this advantage you couldn't fight your way out of a wet paper bag.  But your score says your really good.  Not all, but you know who you are.

Perking bombers or ords will lead to many more of the dreaded 190's porking the field and bailing scenarios, we already have the ability for a single p51 to pork the entire field, its what they are doing now with the Radar, 1 fly in takes it out, the noe comes in.
So, IMO and for the record-score is the root of all the complaints this game has, flame on.  
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 09:29:19 AM by Dadsguns »

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 27, 2010, 09:23:52 AM »
score is the root of all the complaints this game has

No.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #101 on: June 27, 2010, 09:27:07 AM »
  Some will say it isn't, but you all know that we have seen many of you talk about your KD, KH, etc. etc. and we all know that if you are caught 1vs1 without this advantage you couldn't fight your way out of a wet paper bag.  

This from the guy who won't DA because it isn't a fair fight?!  Bwaahahahahahaaha
See Rule #4

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #102 on: June 27, 2010, 09:32:25 AM »
This from the guy who won't DA because it isn't a fair fight?!  Bwaahahahahahaaha

Since you bring it up, You were given the oppurtunity in the MA, you chose not too.  Why? Score.   

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2010, 09:34:24 AM »
lolz

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2010, 09:35:46 AM »
You are correct and I completely agree.  Its just that simple for someone to do, but in todays society we promote laziness and the lack of effort.   

This is the only part that I agree with.
Todays society promotes the 'not my fault' attitude.
Rather than blame everything on other people or expecting everyone else to do the 'dirty work' get out and do it yourself.

Rook RJO - Once the Bish got organised every field 2 or 3 layers back would be porked. No ord or troops.
Made life a lot easier for the 2-3 hours each Sunday they happened.

Score 'may' play a very small part, but its not the root cause.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo