Author Topic: GeForce3  (Read 505 times)

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
GeForce3
« on: March 02, 2001, 12:17:00 AM »
Now we have a new card.  Just what will HTC do with this monster  Will it be possible to incorporate its advantages into AH?  Or is this a "down the road deal" in the online gaming community?  What's the "poop" you have received regarding this new GeForce product?

MrSiD

GeForce3
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2001, 06:31:00 AM »
As always, gaming community will follow long after the technology.. We will have to wait for some while before we can see games that actually take advantage of Dx8 / Geforce 3.

AH cannot include more system demanding features because there are still a huge amount of players playing with low-end computers. They already have a hard time coping with the graphics.

Although I wouldn't mind to see a special Geforce3 optimized version of Aces High for those lucky ones   Kinda like WB is available both in 2 and 3D.

TheWobble

GeForce3
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2001, 01:16:00 PM »

AH cannot include more system demanding features because there are still a huge amount of players playing with low-end computers. They already have a hard time coping with the graphics.

Why cant this game have graphics options like EVERY other game out there?  why not detail level settings, smoke levels, sharpness and all the other settings that have been around forever?

having a game with no graphical options is what restricts the "eyecandy" levels to the lowest level,  why not some options?
aside from resolution and a semi functional view distance..there is nothing.  there are sooo many other options that could be implemented that would allow lower end systems enjoy the game and also take advantage of the newer top end systems.

a game with only 2 graphics options is like a car with only 2 gears.

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
GeForce3
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2001, 01:34:00 PM »
You mean like view range (Shift F1 F2 F3) and turning ground clutter on and off?  Those options work fine for me.  Don't forget, many of those options you see in other games just aren't applicable in a big outdoor game engine that is an online game to boot.

Some options like that are appropriate.  Others, like disabling or changing smoke or clouds, are not.  Everybody has to see the same clouds, smoke, and sun glare, otherwise we'd all just turn them off or one group would have an advantage based what settings they could run.

What other options did you have in mind?  Wouldn't you rather HTC spent their time improving the gime itself and adding planes instead of tweaking eye candy?  I think HT has his priorities in the right place.  We already have some pretty fantastic eye candy.

FWIW, I think HTC does a fantastic job.  Have you looked at the size of the download lately?  Seen another online game that looks this good and goes this fast?  I haven't.

------------------
Sean "Lephturn" Conrad - Aces High Chief Trainer

A proud member of the mighty Flying Pigs
http://www.flyingpigs.com

Check out Lephturn's Aerodrome for AH articles and training info!

Offline Park

• Zinc Member
GeForce3
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2001, 01:37:00 PM »
'Eye candy' is not what is needed here. It's gameplay affecting objects, such as forests and cloud layers. If the frame rate has to take a hit, I'd rather it be for things like those.