Author Topic: P38 ord loadout  (Read 2545 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: P38 ord loadout
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2010, 01:29:16 PM »
Personally, I would like to see ordnance restricted to historical ordnance packages and perked ordnance packages for the more rare ordnance load outs.   Not just for the P-38 but for all planes in this game.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2010, 07:15:48 PM »
I was reading Wikipedia on the 38s this morning and seen that the Lightnings could carry 2x500 or 2x250 bombs on the outer hardpoints. Also noticed the the inter hardpoints could carry up to 6x500,6x200 or even 2x2000 LBers.

I wondering why we don't have that capability in the game.

Also, does anyone else besides me think the pilot wounds are a little TOO easy to get in the 38s? :headscratch:

You'll need to dig and cite the sources for the wikipedia's sources... which most here believe to be in-field modification performed by inovative crew chiefs.  If a P-38 could do it out-of-the-factory then you might have something if you can cite what model P-38, what units they went to and weather those units saw any combat with their P-38s in any theatre during WWII (pre-VJ-day).
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2010, 07:18:47 PM »
The vast majority of my pilot wounds comes when I'm looking over my shoulder behind me in the P-38.

ack-ack

You should talk to your crew chief and trade in that bubble canopy for a hooded one like the corsairs have then.   :devil
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2010, 07:31:15 PM »
It was a field mod... they could carry massive loads, utilizing sway bards but it was all done in the field.

It was a field mod and it wasn't a field mod.  The P-38 did have the ability to carry the rare 2k and even a 3k bomb, that came out of the factory.  However, I believe the original sway bars that were needed for the larger bombs wasn't sufficient enough so someone fashioned one out of wood.  Think the problem with the original sway bar was made out of metal and could damage the P-38, whereas the one made out of wood wouldn't.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2010, 10:49:43 PM »
The inner hard points were made to accept the 2K# bombs, however, several groups found it very desirable to make modifications to prevent the bombs from swaying and wobbling. There are a fair number of accounts of missions with 2K# bombs, but not a great number.

I cannot remember seeing any documented instances of 3K# bombs on the inner hard points, nor any of bombs, especially not 250# or 500# bombs, carried on the outer hard points where the rocket trees attach to a late J or an L. I'm not saying it never happened, I'm just saying I cannot remember seeing anything on it, and it's the sort of thing you'd remember.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2010, 11:52:24 PM »
500 pounders were standard until about October 44 when 1000 pounders became the norm.  They did carry 2000 pounders on a few occasions but found that the bang wasn't much more effective then the 1000 pounders and the 1000 pounders didn't need the wooden sway braces etc.

Some MTO 38 groups field modded their 38s with bomb shackles on each side of the normal DT/Bomb rack.  This allowed them to carry up to 6 500 pounders total.  The MTO is the only place I've seen photos of this done.  It wasn't a factory bit though.

No bombs carried outside the engines, just the rocket trees on the 38L as already mentioned.  That too wasn't used often.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2010, 04:45:01 AM »
Personally, I would like to see ordnance restricted to historical ordnance packages and perked ordnance packages for the more rare ordnance load outs.   Not just for the P-38 but for all planes in this game.

ack-ack

Personally, I agree.

:aok
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Avanti

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2010, 06:05:55 AM »
I was reading Wikipedia on the 38s this morning and seen that the Lightnings could carry 2x500 or 2x250 bombs on the outer hardpoints. Also noticed the the inter hardpoints could carry up to 6x500,6x200 or even 2x2000 LBers.

I wondering why we don't have that capability in the game.

Also, does anyone else besides me think the pilot wounds are a little TOO easy to get in the 38s? :headscratch:

I've bought this up before, apprently it didn't ever happen at all according to the sources I was shown.....

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2010, 07:08:52 AM »
Yeah that's a watermelon load of weight on the wings. I was really just looking for anything on speed, climb rate, turning ability in the different models...that kind of thing. Then came across the weapons specs. I had to get on here and find out what that was all about. I knew someone around here would know the story behind it.
Lighten up Francis

Offline Pigslilspaz

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2010, 03:24:22 AM »
I think it would be fun to get someone in a "droop snoot" and a flight of Lightnings with 2k bombs for a raid.  Drop a heavy duty load on a field for town, then jump into the furball.

the reason why it was called the droop snoot is because they took out the 4x.50's and the 20mm to put in a bombardier's position, so no furball for you!

Quote from: Superfly
The rules are simple: Don't be a dick.
Quote from: hitech
It was skuzzy's <----- fault.
Quote from: Pyro
We just witnessed a miracle and I want you to @#$%^& acknowledge it!

Offline Grape

• Nickel Member
      • http://promoteitright.com/Site/82nd/
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2010, 10:53:58 PM »
The PW problem in the P-38 is easily over come with proper preperation. Before every sortie apply a loose fitting tourniquet to each of your limbs and neck. Once in flight you will be able to stop the bleeding from the inevitable pilot wound by twisting the sticks on all of your pre-postistioned tourniquets as soon as the blood appears on the canopy. Problem Solved.
This is a test

Offline Void

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2010, 11:17:15 PM »
LOL @ ForkTail
In Game name: Namco

Offline Lab Rat 3947

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2010, 04:59:29 PM »
Somewhere I have a stat sheet on the Lightning that mentions 4 three tube rocket units mounted where the hard points are. When I find it I will post it.
It would make, IMO, make a wonderful rocket package combied with the 10 rocket christmas trees on the outer wings. Think about it; 22 5"HVARS on a Lightning.
LtngRydr
14th FG Grounded

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2010, 05:03:59 PM »
The rocket tubes were used on the J models prior to the rocket trees.  Not used together at any point that I've ever seen in any 38 operational history anywhere.

I'm guessing it was one of those what if bits
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2010, 05:32:33 AM »
Speaking of rocket tubes, are they modeled to produce more drag then the xmas tree racks that are on the 38L and later 47s like the D40 and N?
Lighten up Francis