Author Topic: A tale of two textures  (Read 339 times)

Offline PapaFox

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.barnstormer1.com
A tale of two textures
« on: June 30, 2010, 02:28:39 AM »
I attach two screenshots of textures I see in Aces High with the same machine:

Notice how little detail there is

Now I reinstalled Aces High and with the default settings I get the following textures:

Obviously the default settings are much better. Both are using 1024 max texture size, which is fine on my Nvidia GTX260. If I copy my old Settings folder to the new install the bad textures reappear. Ah, I thought, I'll use the new video8 file and see what happens. Nope, that doesn't fix things with my old settings folder. The reason I want to use my old settings folder is that I had a zillion settings for sticks, cockpit views, etc.

Can someone give me an idea what is causing this problem and what files I need to use the default version for in order to achieve the better graphics? I may have installed the hi-res textures in my bad (previous) Aces High install. Perhaps that's the problem. Most likely, my solution is going to involve using some files from my original settings file and not using others from this bad texture settings file. I hope someone can help me avoid a tedious trial and error process. Any suggestions appreciated.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: A tale of two textures
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 02:47:56 AM »
You could try just copying the .jsm file for your joystick from the old settings folder to the new and see if you stick defs are there.

Or use your old settings folder, install the latest hi res pack, kill the video8.cfg file altogether and readjust the video settings in game.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline PapaFox

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 03:02:37 AM »
Gyrene81, Thanks for suggestions. I am hoping to copy not just the joystick files but also the plane files too. Before I do lots of trial and error copying, though, I'm hoping that someone recognizes what's going on here.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 06:10:58 AM »
Look in the Options->Graphic Details->Advanced panel.  The first picture appears to have the "Detailed Terrain" option disabled.

The files in the "settings" folder follow a convention using the file name extension to identify the type of file it is.

*.jsm = Joystick settings
*.hps = Head position settings for each plane/vehicle/boat

The sub-folder of "planes" contains the loadouts for planes.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline PapaFox

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 09:23:51 PM »
Skuzzy,
Your suggestion fixed the problem. Many thanks!
Papafox