Author Topic: Win 98 and IE6 question  (Read 479 times)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Win 98 and IE6 question
« on: January 02, 2002, 12:56:00 PM »
Hi there,

I have recently done a full erase, format (fdisk as well) and install of win 98 on my main HD. I upgaded IE to v6 as soon as the system was integrated again with all my peripherals.

Here is my problem. I notice a definate hesitation on a random basis in the browser. It ONLY happens with the browser so it eliminates a HD, CPU and modem lock. When the "lock" happens the browser seems to stop transmitting the new page request and holds for 30 or more seconds. Then I see the modem (pro DSL icon) indicate a data transfer and the page changes. Now during this lock I can back page and get the previous page right away.   :confused:

I don't get any disco's on online games, excet AH and that is somewhat reduced now in the last week.

This is REAL annoying reading the bbs here as page transfers are freequent and so are the "locks".

Here is my system, BTW this is the same system I had before the HD format etc. was done.

AMD Tbird 1.4 gig
DFI mobo with AMD chipset latest driver flashed.
512 megs RAM
20 gig Maxtor 7200 rpm HD
Avance Logic SB (SB16 clone)
Verto GE force 2 MX 400 64 meg Vid card (PNY)
win 98 all security upgrades added after install
MSIE 6
Intel ADSL modem at 640k on clean line.
Mcafee online scan
Zonealarm firewall.

BTW the locks happen even if I disable the Mcafee and Zonealarm.

Any tech guys got an idea as to what is wrong and how I can fix this?

DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Win 98 and IE6 question
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2002, 07:07:00 PM »
I've noticed this with IE 5.5 and IE 6 on Windows 98 and ME.  Win2k and XP are not immune to it, but it happens less frequently with them.

It's really just a quirk of IE6 as far as I can tell.  IE is just waiting for information and doesn't do anything until it gets it.

Offline weazel

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Win 98 and IE6 question
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2002, 07:23:00 PM »
Did you install IE 4.01 SP1 <shell update> before you updated the browser?

Use it on Win98 4.10.1998 only, Win98SE 4.10.2222A doesn't need it.

It can wreak all kinds of havoc with Windoze if you didn't.

I haven't noticed the problem you mention with IE 6.0. on 98SE or on original 98 with the patch.

Offline Vladd

• Copper Member
Win 98 and IE6 question
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2002, 05:27:00 PM »
Mav - I'm getting EXACTLY the same problem. Irritating as hell, and seems to happen approximately every 5 minutes.

I'm using Win98SE.
Norton Internet Security Firewall
IE6

AMD TBird 1.4
MSI Mobo using KT266 chipset, latest 4in1 drivers
Voodoo 5500

Likewise, am somewhat flummoxed...

Vladd

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: Vladd ]