Author Topic: Icons  (Read 7296 times)

Offline Greziz

• Copper Member
Re: Icons
« Reply #150 on: July 17, 2010, 03:50:26 PM »
I hear alot of people spouting that these short icons encourage communication and team work well. My radio chatter had I bothered to communicate last friday after 30 seconds of engagement woulda sounded like where the hell is every one I can hear you but god forbid I find oh wait a second I got 3 dots buzzing me 2 109's and a spit 9 from a squad I didn't know was here umm alright 45 more seconds ok I am hearing alot of random communication about how 109s are high alot of them and stuff I am assuming your low. Well in reality when I was finnally towered cause I had to dive but couldn't use my planes strength of turning because I was so busy zooming into dots to identify wether it was friendly and safe to turn to that I eventually just died because one I couldn't reliably find my teamates and cooridinate I couldn't identify enemies their heading their speed or anything in a timely manner in a game where death is decided sometimes in fractions of a second especially at 1k icons -.- So basically I found that this environment spurned confusion dissarray and an empty feeling as though you had your candy taken on halloween under the guise of realism -.-

[I am fine with a little tinkering I do not mind daddogs attempt to search out possibilities for a more enjoyable time. This is simply my humble opinion that I would like for the icons to revert back to the 3k old standard of fso.] {I however do find that the radar tower vectoring for the dead guys is an innovative and nice touch that should be kept}
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 03:52:53 PM by Greziz »

Offline Bannor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #151 on: July 17, 2010, 05:55:22 PM »
Long thread.

Well, after trying this out the last 3 frames, I have decided I can live with it. Once I see those dots, I put my head on a swivel and try to keep my situational awareness as much as I can. Check the range channel for friendlies and what not, trying to keep my squaddies in view. None of that is really different from previous FSO's except the intensity goes up as you know you're gonna make contact real soon and you don't know who or what with. I feel like things really speed up when you're in the thick of it. I also like the radar.
Destiny brought you here, now FATE will deal with your six!

Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #152 on: July 18, 2010, 09:34:38 AM »
Just as an FYI for everyone I just checked the surviving % and it was at 39%. A bit lower than the average FSO which was disappointing. Could be the shorter icons made it more difficult to survive having the opposite affect I wanted. Who knows.

Thanks for the feed back, at least those that were polite about it.  :cool:

Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #153 on: July 18, 2010, 03:07:00 PM »
Just as an FYI for everyone I just checked the surviving % and it was at 39%. A bit lower than the average FSO which was disappointing. Could be the shorter icons made it more difficult to survive having the opposite affect I wanted. Who knows.

Thanks for the feed back, at least those that were polite about it.  :cool:

funny thing about it for us was, some of the playmates left icons all the way off for enemy as a result of last minute training and forgetting to turn them back on during the last frame!
 the result for me was more pleasurable than short icons! I don't have a clue why???
 I would guess that less info made it easier to process and track, as well as watching the size of the icons instead of waiting to see the icon for a range check!
in the end it was probably a good experience to try but i would rather have them the same for both sides!
Flying since tour 71.