Author Topic: Icons  (Read 7293 times)

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
Re: Icons
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2010, 10:07:36 PM »
Lots of good comments. Lots of rude and self indulgent comments made by players who are totally ignorant as to what I am looking at in this FSO. More to the point, they probably don't care because it is not fun for them. So be it. I am looking out for the fun of the whole, not just those that quit.

About six months ago we received some new tools from HTC. New icons ranges and tower only radar. Since that time they have hardly been used. My decision to go with the shorter icon range for enemy and the no icon range below 500 feet has nothing to do with if I like it or if it would be more 'fun' for the players. I am looking at the 'survivability' of the players to see if having a shorter enemy icon range made a difference. That is if a shorter enemy icon range = a higher % of players that land. Over the past month when I first decided to do this I have looked at many FSO's and FSO frames. The percents this year in a frame range from only 21% landing to as high as 64% landing. Last Friday we had about 43% l :

I take it then that you OWN this event DD, nice to know that we are just pawns for you to experiment with.  BTW who the hell is this "majority" that you are working for??? they sure as hell are not posting here.  I play this game for fun, if the fun goes out then I play something else, quite simple really and what you want has nothing to do with what I call fun so save the platitudes.
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2010, 10:23:07 PM »
If I wanted to fly with full 6k icons and not have to think or use squad tactics or communication, I'd stay in the MA.  If anyone thinks it's too much work to fly the FSO, they are welcome to stay in the MA.

I hope you and the "few" who support this icon range have fun and I hope the rest take you up on your offer to leave FSO, as I predicted a few months ago all this "no icon" crap would start to creep into area's it was not wanted, pushed by the vocal few and now it's started on some flimsy context about "I wanted to see" crap.  Well FSO can go down alot faster than it went up and by refusing to listen to the "majority" you risk getting just what you asked for.

There is more to being a leader than just being "in charge"
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 10:33:50 PM by Boxboy »
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline RTGorkle

• Copper Member
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2010, 11:01:30 PM »
Am wondering, did the Allies have a harder time with the icons than the Axis? I think most of the action I was involved in happenned east of the channel where the Germans had radar coverage. My flight had an expert running commentary of the radar picture - I knew where much of the friendlies and enemy were, where they where going, in what number. Then I could tell from the colour and shape of the aircraft which ones were the spits before hitting icon range.

It would have been a huge loss to have lost radar coverage....

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2010, 11:29:21 PM »
all this "no icon" crap would start to creep into area's it was not wanted
There's a big difference between "no icon" and "short icon".  I believe that 1k enemy icon is a bit too short; I'd like to see it at 2 or 2.5k.  The FSO is supposed to be something more than just another MA mission, and I think it's cool that some people volunteer many hours of their free time to put this together for us. 

It's too bad some people are just stuck in instant-gratification "quake" mode where they want everything set as easy as possible so all they need to do is point and shoot without doing any work.

It's too bad that sometimes the designer's plans don't work out quite as they envisioned, but that's life.  I will close with 1k enemy icons didn't add to either the realism or the enjoyment of many and respectfully ask that it be changed to something like 2.5k for the other frames.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2010, 11:39:49 PM »
There's a big difference between "no icon" and "short icon".  I believe that 1k enemy icon is a bit too short; I'd like to see it at 2 or 2.5k.  The FSO is supposed to be something more than just another MA mission, and I think it's cool that some people volunteer many hours of their free time to put this together for us. 

It's too bad some people are just stuck in instant-gratification "quake" mode where they want everything set as easy as possible so all they need to do is point and shoot without doing any work.

It's too bad that sometimes the designer's plans don't work out quite as they envisioned, but that's life.  I will close with 1k enemy icons didn't add to either the realism or the enjoyment of many and respectfully ask that it be changed to something like 2.5k for the other frames.

Come on that's just BS on the face of it, FSO was fine with 3k icons (a far cry from MA) and no one complained, it was when the no icon group started wanting to "expand" beyond AvA that things started being "played" with.  I have zero problems that it was tried this last frame and it was not a success, I DO have a problem with it being stated that the failed experiment will continue to be pushed down our throats.
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2010, 11:45:28 PM »
Come on that's just BS on the face of it, FSO was fine with 3k icons (a far cry from MA) and no one complained, it was when the no icon group started wanting to "expand" beyond AvA that things started being "played" with.  I have zero problems that it was tried this last frame and it was not a success, I DO have a problem with it being stated that the failed experiment will continue to be pushed down our throats.
Get off it Boxboy, nobody has said a thing about changing the icon settings for months. It's not happening behind your back in a dark room off an alley in the ghetto. You don't like it, that's clear. Rather than brow beating everyone including people who are actually in agreement with you is just ensuring everyone understands you have no capacity to think of anything outside your own world. Now take your ball and go home.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2010, 11:53:17 PM »
You and Delirium are both wrong on that account. There is no advantage either way. The faster the plane the easier it is to misjudge and overshoot unless you really know your sight picture, and that takes some time...

No, sir.  You do not have sole posession of "The Truth."  We simply disagree, I suppose because you and I have experiences that differ.   :salute

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2010, 11:57:00 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 10:40:39 AM by Skuzzy »
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2010, 12:00:11 AM »
Gents, I've gotten to know Daddog a little since I flew with his group in the previous FSO event, "Normandy". While I may not big a big fan of the icon settings, I know for a fact that Daddog isn't trying to force his idea of what the events should be.

He is just a volunteer, cut him a little slack and don't criticize him, but feel free to criticize the settings as much as you want.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2010, 12:06:27 AM »
I only wish I didn't work Friday nights so I could fly FSO no matter what the icon settings are.

As far as I'm concerned, all you guys are lucky :neener:

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2010, 12:29:30 AM »
It's quite clear you like it,  so your opinion falls abit short on my "pay attention" scale.  Who are you to decide people's capacity?? I see you bleating your tripe constantly in that vein as tho you are the only person in the world that gets it.  Putting words in peoples' mouths smacks of High School demagoguery to me, now take your ball and stuff it.
Boxboy, you really should try getting out of the house more, being a cartoon ace has quite obviously made it impossible for you to have any intelligent thought or the ability to accept challenges outside of sitting upright in a chair.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2010, 02:14:39 AM »
Boxboy, you really should try getting out of the house more, being a cartoon ace has quite obviously made it impossible for you to have any intelligent thought or the ability to accept challenges outside of sitting upright in a chair.

????? is that the best you got  :rofl :rofl :rofl what maroon :neener:
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2010, 03:34:33 AM »
Whine all you want about the icons.

We had to fly freakin Ju 88s. Tough to beat that whinage.

perdweeb
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2010, 08:01:00 AM »
Whoa, whoa everyone...  let's all take a step back here.  This was the original post:

Why do you guys insist on messing with these ranges? 1k and none below 500ft?  Very unenjoyable for me tonight.

The question at hand isn't one of "no icons" or "ramming things down people throats".  The question is "are the settings in the current FSO the right ones."  Taking shots at the FSO Staff, and other FSO players in this forum isnt going to help anything.  Lets look at this one point at a time:

1) Daddog has stated that the settings will remain as they are for the next 2 frames.  That's fair... it is the way this month's FSO has been set up.  No one on the FSO staff has said anything about it being that way forever.  But, to change it now, just because some of us dont like the settings after one frame sets the stage for anything to be changed mid-run in a FSO just because some of us dont like it.  It was clearly stated in the FSO setup, and we all just need to live with it for the next 2 frames.  

2) I think the question at hand is more one of "why have different range settings for friendlies and enemies." A couple have voiced an opinion on that, but nothing has come from the FSO staff on that.  I have no problem with varying the icon settings from time to time.  If global icon range is set to 1K, it forces players to fly in tighter formations to maintain ID on their squadmates.  Anything outside that ID range can then become suspect.  But... with varied settings, it adds in an element of uncertainty.  My personal opinion wold be if the settings are going to be "played with" from time to time, that it be done so globally.  I also feel that 1K is a bit too short...  as 1K is just on the edge of lethal guns range.  If the thought is that we should be able to tell by the profile of an aircraft what it is at 3K, then I think we should have an icon to go with it.

3) When combined with a 1K enemy ID range, no icons below 500' becomes even more difficult to manage in my opinion.  Add to that the fact that many of the bases did not even flash when bandits were directly on top of them (something which has yet to be explained) , and it promotes NOE sneakery on a grand scale.

FSO is successful for many reasons.  It has a great group of volunteers that put together outstanding scenarios week after week.  The CiC's take the time to send out detailed orders to their squads, and the squads themselves immerse themselves into the scenario and become a part of it.  Squads that cant stand each other in the MA's fly side by side in FSO and work together as if they had been doing so for years.  It is really amazing all of the work and commitment that goes into it by everyone.  

Another reason that FSO is so successful is that it has settings that are more challenging than just flying in the MA's... and there are rules that must be followed to participate.  But if those settings or rules are taken too far, in either direction, we are taking the risk of driving many good FSO participants away.  

I enjoy almost every FSO I fly in.  In fact, the only ones I havent enjoyed, are when I do something stupid that puts me back in the tower early... like pranging my prop when I am setting down for a refuel before I even get the chance to see combat.  Frame 1 of this FSO wasnt "as enjoyable" as many others for the reasons I have already stated... but I will live with it for the next 2 frames and adjust my tactics accordingly.  But it is my hope that going forward, changing icon range settings is something that is "few and far between"... and is done with great consideration for all the participants involved.

See you in frame 2.  :salute
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 08:07:27 AM by AKP »

***G3-MF***

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2010, 09:07:17 AM »
 All one has to do is look at AVA and see that the no icon fan club is tiny to non existent. To think those settings will work in a time set environment when it has obviously failed in a "fly whenever you want" environment is just going against the majority. I know I spend more time in the FSO than the MA and it is pretty much the only reason I fly anymore. Even Hajo decided he was going to hang it up and drop his account. I would hate to see the FSO go the way of AVA because toying with the settings was more important than putting on an event that the majority enjoyed.
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.