Author Topic: The Aces High War Doctrine  (Read 10587 times)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: The Aces High War Doctrine
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2010, 08:28:36 AM »
I think Hitech wants to create a situation where the game is centered around COMBAT.

I think Hitech defines "combat" as the attack of bases with an equal defense.

1. Yes.

2. Combat is when people are fighting each other in vehicles or planes. How and why people choose to fight is irrelevant.

HiTech
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 08:30:58 AM by hitech »

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2010, 08:31:38 AM »
ADD, you lost me in the ramble.  Anyone have a baby kitten to kill?

cc

1. find agent

2. kill agent

3. kill his friends! especially if  thy name is kappa  :D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 08:34:40 AM by crazyivan »
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2010, 08:33:10 AM »
that would promote not switching sides to even numbers or find a fight.

your right so maybe that's not the best idea for the situation but we still have this problem to fix and then again maybe it is because that is why we have "enemy value"

"The reward factor for putting up a fight to not lose your bases is not enough.  25 points per category for the amount of time spent is hardly worth the effort this is why the majority isn't worried about base captures or defending against base captures"
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 08:35:55 AM by TnDep »
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2010, 08:41:13 AM »
your right so maybe that's not the best idea for the situation but we still have this problem to fix and then again maybe it is because that is why we have "enemy value"

"The reward factor for putting up a fight to not lose your bases is not enough.  25 points per category for the amount of time spent is hardly worth the effort this is why the majority isn't worried about base captures or defending against base captures"
You're forgetting what it was like as a noob and accomplishing a goal! It's the guys on everday who do the same "winthe warz" that don't evolve and care not too. I'm drunk I could contradict myself, and say. Agent doesn't  want to try evolving  as a player also! heheh

But  I love taking Agent, out of the sky so help me ! :D Que Samuel Jackson - Pulp fiction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujm9BLzaaBo
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 08:55:03 AM by crazyivan »
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline stealth

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2010, 09:10:31 AM »
Good post Agent360.  :salute  :aok
My Email is ACalex88@gmail.com if you want to contact me

"I shall fear no evil, for I am 80,000 feet and climbing"

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2010, 11:26:44 AM »
Very well spoken Agent and I would just like to add one other equation to this:

The reward factor for putting up a fight to not lose your bases is not enough.  25 points per category for the amount of time spent is hardly worth the effort this is why the majority isn't worried about base captures or defending against base captures.

Now if this was changed to lets say 50 points per category per hour spent in the game on that country side I believe it'd be a different story.

Example: 10 hours spent in game on winning country side and your online at the time of the war being won you'd receive 500 points per category

Example: 50 hours spent in game on winning country side and your online at the time of the war being won you'd receive 2500 points per category

What may be the fundemental flaw in it all is that anyone needs points.  Seems to me the cartoon combat against other players would be enough of an incentive to play the game.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2010, 11:48:08 AM »
I agree with Agent in that the maps need work. I don't care "why" people play as long as there is a fight going on, and my guess is thats is HTC goal as well. I'm all for the "win the wars" guys as long as they fight to win it! That being said, I think the big maps are too big, and the small maps too small.

We out grew the small map, which is good for business. Small maps are 256 miles square, while the big maps are 512 miles. While that is double in miles it's 4 times in ground space. Our population hasn't grown to 4 times the numbers we had so the big maps are sparsely populated so much harder to "win the war". I think it was "Fester" that said we needed map with smaller numbers of bases, that the whole 512 miles didn't have to be filled.

My thought is that if the small maps Have 60 bases and the large have 180, maybe we need maps around 90-100 bases. They should be set on the 512 map size, but the set-up could be more centrally located. The small island map is reset in a few days at most, but the large island map isn't. We just don't have the population density to work these big maps ...yet  :D So we need a set of "medium" size maps to get us through until we get more numbers.

Any map makers up to the task?

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2010, 12:05:31 PM »
So we need a set of "medium" size maps to get us through until we get more numbers.

So true.

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2010, 12:43:54 PM »
that would promote not switching sides to even numbers or find a fight.

True, but it would also remove some of the incentive to switch sides when a map win is in the wind in order to sit AFK in the tower and collect the perks.

Offline DrBone1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2010, 01:04:22 PM »
if only they had a thumbs down  :joystick:
=The Damned=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6jjnCoBobc
I see DrBone has found a new Sith apprentice. Good, good, let the hate flow through you.  :devil
Move up, move over, or move aside.  Simple kombat 101.

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2010, 01:45:19 PM »
I think Hitech defines "combat" as the attack of bases with an equal defense.

This is called a "doctrine".

That's not a doctrine. A doctrine is something like "Always drop hangers at the outset of your attack" or "Never waste bombs on hangers while there's still town to kill".

I think of this game like a football (American) game. Combat is running, passing, blocking, and tackling. Those are the things that fans like to see and players like to do. A game that involved scoring touchdowns without decent running, passing, blocking, or tackling would be boring. Yet they don't exist in isolation either. 22 guys on a field just running around and playing catch with no purpose would be just as boring, no matter how much amazing athleticism the players displayed. What makes it interesting is the encompassing of all the running, passing, blocking, and tackling into strategies designed to acieve concrete goals - touchdowns - with the eventual purpose of winning the game. It's not just a contest of pure athleticism, it's a contest of wills and of strategies with athletic prowess being the means by which those wills and strategies are put into effect.

The team fans like to see isn't the team that has the guys who run the fastest 100 or even the team with the quarterback with the best arm - although those things are nice. The team fans want to see (and players want to be on) is the team that best uses those assets to score touchdowns, deny them to the opposition, and win games.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2010, 01:47:56 PM »
1.) Smaller maps would make the HQ's a more realistic gamble for lone wolves and missions to hit.
2.) Blinding a country for 10 minutes while its players scramble to resupply the HQ is it's own time honored traditional reward.
3.) With the current radar and a smaller size map you cannot avoid running into enemies.
4.) It becomes harder to remove CV's as combat generating elements as so many arm chair admirals try to do on the Giant maps.
5.) Our giant sized maps, even with the current radar, allow players to avoid each other.
6.) Sandbox environments rely on the imagination of the child, not the complexity of the sand.
7.) Elegantly complex systems are brain candy but often don't work in practice.
8.) Use K.I.S.S. in your suggestions and let HiTech complicate it if it inspires his COADing.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2010, 01:53:44 PM »
Here ya go Crash this is the proper definition of a doctrine.

From Websters;
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/doctrine
Main Entry: doc·trine
Pronunciation: \ˈdäk-trən\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French & Latin; Anglo-French, from Latin doctrina, from doctor
Date: 14th century

1 archaic : teaching, instruction
2 a : something that is taught b : a principle or position or the body of principles in a branch of knowledge or system of belief : dogma c : a principle of law established through past decisions d : a statement of fundamental government policy especially in international relations e : a military principle or set of strategies
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2010, 01:58:07 PM »
We get points in AH?  :headscratch:
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2010, 04:20:15 PM »
I agree with Agent in that the maps need work. I don't care "why" people play as long as there is a fight going on, and my guess is thats is HTC goal as well. I'm all for the "win the wars" guys as long as they fight to win it! That being said, I think the big maps are too big, and the small maps too small.

We out grew the small map, which is good for business. Small maps are 256 miles square, while the big maps are 512 miles. While that is double in miles it's 4 times in ground space. Our population hasn't grown to 4 times the numbers we had so the big maps are sparsely populated so much harder to "win the war". I think it was "Fester" that said we needed map with smaller numbers of bases, that the whole 512 miles didn't have to be filled.

My thought is that if the small maps Have 60 bases and the large have 180, maybe we need maps around 90-100 bases. They should be set on the 512 map size, but the set-up could be more centrally located. The small island map is reset in a few days at most, but the large island map isn't. We just don't have the population density to work these big maps ...yet  :D So we need a set of "medium" size maps to get us through until we get more numbers.

Could it be much simpler than that?  Perhaps use the same 512x512 mile maps but take away some of the bases but leave those larger 20mile radar rings.  That way it's easier to capture the needed bases and win Teh WArR!  Perhaps the radar rings could be lengthened even more and make it similar to how it was with the 12 mile radius rings (so basically friendly and enemy radar rings brush up against each other but do not cover the enemie's airfield).
Curry1-Since Tour 101