Author Topic: Mossquito Mk. XI  (Read 3210 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Mossquito Mk. XI
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2010, 10:40:40 AM »
You didn't let the speeds settle.  All my tests were acceleration to speed tests, not the less accurate deceleration to speed tests.  The old one never reached 321 or 322 on the deck and the new one did reach 319.  Your numbers have to be wrong.  The difference at 5000ft is odd, but is likely due to a change in the critical altitudes modeled on MIL.  I really don't have any info on what the proper speeds at MIL should be. 

The problem we have here is that the only charts we know of are for WEP performance.  The old Mossie VI WEP was clearly based on a Mosquito Mk VI powered by Merlin 25s with flame dampers.  The new Mossie VI's WEP performance is largely extrapolated data from multiple tests.

I cannot agree with you that MIL speed matters more than WEP speed.  Once I am in combat I am using WEP pretty heavily and the change there is massively for the better and that is where it counts most.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
      • http://virtuallyinfamous.webs.com
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2010, 10:58:30 AM »
You didn't let the speeds settle.  All my tests were acceleration to speed tests, not the less accurate deceleration to speed tests.  The old one never reached 321 or 322 on the deck and the new one did reach 319.  Your numbers have to be wrong.  The difference at 5000ft is odd, but is likely due to a change in the critical altitudes modeled on MIL.  I really don't have any info on what the proper speeds at MIL should be. 

The problem we have here is that the only charts we know of are for WEP performance.  The old Mossie VI WEP was clearly based on a Mosquito Mk VI powered by Merlin 25s with flame dampers.  The new Mossie VI's WEP performance is largely extrapolated data from multiple tests.

I cannot agree with you that MIL speed matters more than WEP speed.  Once I am in combat I am using WEP pretty heavily and the change there is massively for the better and that is where it counts most.

Ahhem if i can put my 2 cent's in i have recently flown the mossi on strike missions in the M/A at zero feet. now i have found that once i take off and level off at zero feet the mossi wont go any faster than 330mph but if i climb to 2000 feet then dive to the deck it will go up-to 360-380mph and hold it it's self at that speed without wep on. And another thought is what if in WW2 on these low alt missions thats how the pilots of the mossi got to high speeds. Just a thought!!

Again just my 2 scent's on the mossi's speed at Zero feet :)

Thankyou

BulletVI
You Don't See Me But You Hear Me Coming Then Darkness

HUH Computer's GIVE ME A SPANNER AND A WRENCH ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.  ( Mr Fix It ) :)

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2010, 11:05:39 AM »
BulletVI,

There is an explanation for that. First, you dove from a higher altitude and thus gained speed. Second, the Mossie weighs in over 20,000 pounds. That thing can hold E better than the vast majority of the planeset in AH. Its energy retention allows it to hold speed for longer durations of time. Third, youve got two inline liquid cooled engines that produce a lot of thrust. Due to its design, it is also a very aerodynamic airframe. This again allows for better speed retention. I am not saying that the Mossie is the best in anything, it just has some good traits/features that allows the Mossie to perform the way it does.

I am not an aviation engineer, so someone with expertise in the field can shed some light on the subject better than I can.
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2010, 11:32:51 AM »
BulletVI,

There is an explanation for that. First, you dove from a higher altitude and thus gained speed. Second, the Mossie weighs in over 20,000 pounds. That thing can hold E better than the vast majority of the planeset in AH. Its energy retention allows it to hold speed for longer durations of time. Third, you've got two inline liquid cooled engines that produce a lot of thrust. Due to its design, it is also a very aerodynamic airframe. This again allows for better speed retention. I am not saying that the Mossie is the best in anything, it just has some good traits/features that allows the Mossie to perform the way it does.

I am not an aviation engineer, so someone with expertise in the field can shed some light on the subject better than I can.

Nah Plazus you explained it down to almost the last T there. But what i was referring to was that with its armament compliment that this is probally the tactic used by Moss Pilots in WW2 to gain the necessary speed advantage for the Mission. But on the return trip as the Moss will now be lighter due to the use of it's bombs and rocket's and the use of fuel the Moss will easily reach those high speed's.

But remember Moss Pilot's in WW2 on a mission to destroy a gestapo headquarter's in a french village or town would have only carried 2 x 250lb bombs.
So that the resulting weight was lower and the 250lb bomb was deemed more accurate for low level bombing due to its tail fin design on the bomb. But hey this last paragraph is not relevent. but try the Moss At zero feet armed only with 2 x 250lb bombs and you may get a surprise of its speed capabilities.  

Here is Some really worth while reading on the Mossi' Performance it's actual data from the test trial's.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/fpacimq2gkpqpyk/Mossi Performance.pdf

HUH Computer's GIVE ME A SPANNER AND A WRENCH ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.  ( Mr Fix It ) :)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2010, 11:50:40 AM »
BulletVI, if you are flying strike missions you are flying it dirty.  Based on the screen shots you have posted you are using rockets and those take a huge chunk of speed off of it.

All my tests were done clean, in fighter mode as that is how I normally fly it.  If I do take ordnance, it is usually just the two 500lbers in the bomb bay as they don't have any performance hit once they are gone.  Anything under the wings leaves mounts behind that limit performance.  The rockets are the worst offenders for that.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2010, 12:45:08 PM »
BulletVI, if you are flying strike missions you are flying it dirty.  Based on the screen shots you have posted you are using rockets and those take a huge chunk of speed off of it.

All my tests were done clean, in fighter mode as that is how I normally fly it.  If I do take ordnance, it is usually just the two 500lbers in the bomb bay as they don't have any performance hit once they are gone.  Anything under the wings leaves mounts behind that limit performance.  The rockets are the worst offenders for that.

Yes true but i either use rokets or bombs never both at the same time and since the mossi is a classic low level strike aircraft i use it in that fashion and have achieved some good result's. :)

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2010, 04:31:20 PM »
Nah Plazus you explained it down to almost the last T there. But what i was referring to was that with its armament compliment that this is probally the tactic used by Moss Pilots in WW2 to gain the necessary speed advantage for the Mission. But on the return trip as the Moss will now be lighter due to the use of it's bombs and rocket's and the use of fuel the Moss will easily reach those high speed's.

But remember Moss Pilot's in WW2 on a mission to destroy a gestapo headquarter's in a french village or town would have only carried 2 x 250lb bombs.
So that the resulting weight was lower and the 250lb bomb was deemed more accurate for low level bombing due to its tail fin design on the bomb. But hey this last paragraph is not relevent. but try the Moss At zero feet armed only with 2 x 250lb bombs and you may get a surprise of its speed capabilities.  

Here is Some really worth while reading on the Mossi' Performance it's actual data from the test trial's.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/fpacimq2gkpqpyk/Mossi Performance.pdf

The issue with that test is, as is stated right there in black and white, that the test aircraft is HJ679, and "It is thought therefore that HJ679 may not be truly representative of this type."
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »

I did the acceleration tests as well.  Plus, simply tracing the charts will show the differences.  Even with the old Mossi being 2k heavier it was still faster on MIL.  I did not say the the MIL speed matters more, but rather the WEP speed is not what it is cracked up to be since the duration is so short.  Yes indeed, it is sweet to gain the extra boost of speed at the lower levels and possibly leave behind that Spit16 or other such dweeby plane, that I wont argue. 
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2010, 10:57:19 PM »
I did the acceleration tests as well.  Plus, simply tracing the charts will show the differences.  Even with the old Mossi being 2k heavier it was still faster on MIL.  I did not say the the MIL speed matters more, but rather the WEP speed is not what it is cracked up to be since the duration is so short.  Yes indeed, it is sweet to gain the extra boost of speed at the lower levels and possibly leave behind that Spit16 or other such dweeby plane, that I wont argue. 

The only way that wep can truly be effective in the Game is if HTC can devise a way for us to use it like pilots did in ww2 By having that Small lever or push past to engage the wep. by this i can give an example. Wep in WW2 was like in today's modern jet's an afterburner effect it gives you Upto 30% extra power/boost depending on manufacturer's specifications and such not. Thus like today's after burner/ reheat systems you can choose wheather or not you want the full extra 50 % or 5% boost. Now my throttle has a point that when you push to 75% there is some resistance that with a quick push your by it. ( its more in tune with jet combat ) Now wep was like  this on a lot of WW2 Planes for ease of use in combat ( one less thing for the pilot to think of ).

Now till such time as HTC can or choose to make wep available like that wep is just going to be a quick and easy thing to use to get you out of a really tight spot i.e that little extra punch for the dive away. :)

Some may argue but hey it's a debate to be had :)
 :salute :salute

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2010, 09:17:42 PM »
There is a big difference between being able to outrun the enemy operationally as opposed to an actual speed race. The Mosquitos were fast enough to be able to hit a target and RTB before scrambling fighters could take off, chase and catch them unless they got lucky enough to be in the vicinity during the raid.

Comments like "out run" can be taken out of context. The Mosquito was not faster than many LW fighters, but it was "fast enough" to be able to keep the distance to a safe margin on the way home. 

Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2010, 05:42:57 PM »
Comments like "out run" can be taken out of context. The Mosquito was not faster than many LW fighters, but it was "fast enough" to be able to keep the distance to a safe margin on the way home. 

Actually, no, it was bluntly faster that Luftwaffe (and RAF) fighters when introduced.  It even maintained that at specific altitudes well into the Mid-War period.  Of course it isn't as fast as something like an Fw190D-9 or Bf109K-4 though.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2010, 09:15:32 PM »
Actually, no, it was bluntly faster that Luftwaffe (and RAF) fighters when introduced.  It even maintained that at specific altitudes well into the Mid-War period.  Of course it isn't as fast as something like an Fw190D-9 or Bf109K-4 though.
Ah but remember the mossi didnt stop at the mkVI version there where 12 versions i believe and eatch one faster than the previous version. So like all other aircraft it was continuasly upgraded. like say the Spit mk 9 got a new and faster Merlin engine to keep up with or there abouts the 190-D and the 109K-4. It is also logical to asume that that very same merlin engine was in the Mossi but not 1 there was 2. And gentlemen that is like putting a porche engine in a Mini Cooper S. it just makes it faster. Realy the Luftwaffe's basic tactic to deal with the Mossi was to have roving patrols in the hope of catching them. and often enougth they would only see a squadron of Spitfire's to tangle with. But any plane even the Hurri 1 has a chance at catching the Mossi. As most Mossi missions where Zero feet. Attacking airfields Gestapo headquarters Small factorys next to POW camps rail yard stike's. Targets where the less colateral damage was needed. So all any pilot has to do is Dive on one from altitude and he / she can catch one.  :aok  :)  :rock  :salute

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2010, 01:10:17 AM »
Ah but remember the mossi didnt stop at the mkVI version there where 12 versions i believe and eatch one faster than the previous version. So like all other aircraft it was continuasly upgraded. like say the Spit mk 9 got a new and faster Merlin engine to keep up with or there abouts the 190-D and the 109K-4. It is also logical to asume that that very same merlin engine was in the Mossi but not 1 there was 2. And gentlemen that is like putting a porche engine in a Mini Cooper S. it just makes it faster. Realy the Luftwaffe's basic tactic to deal with the Mossi was to have roving patrols in the hope of catching them. and often enougth they would only see a squadron of Spitfire's to tangle with. But any plane even the Hurri 1 has a chance at catching the Mossi. As most Mossi missions where Zero feet. Attacking airfields Gestapo headquarters Small factorys next to POW camps rail yard stike's. Targets where the less colateral damage was needed. So all any pilot has to do is Dive on one from altitude and he / she can catch one.  :aok  :)  :rock  :salute

Wow.I think you assume too much and research too little!

I'll leave it at that.

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2010, 11:18:38 AM »

Wow.I think you assume too much and research too little!

I'll leave it at that.

reasearching it still :)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2010, 05:47:14 PM »
The fastest any WWII Mosquito got in services was about 430mph for the NF.Mk 30.  That version topped out at about 320mph on the deck.  The fastest bomber version, the B.Mk XVI and its American engined equivalents topped out at about 416mph.  You may notice these speeds are less than the 452mph of the Bf109K-4.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-