Author Topic: AA with 5 & 8 inch naval guns  (Read 748 times)

Offline Whitey33

• Silver Member
AA with 5 & 8 inch naval guns
« on: July 13, 2010, 01:35:06 PM »
Is it possible to use radar when firing AA-rounds to planes beyond icon range and how to do that?

Also, when plane is in icon range i can shoot it down if it was 2k distance and closing right trough me :lol But how to aim when there is more distance and planes direction is something else?
www.ilmavoimat.fi/index_en.php  Finnish Air Force

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
Re: AA with 5 & 8 inch naval guns
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 01:48:53 PM »
Do you mean using something like 'land mode' to shoot at planes on radar but not in icon.  Well here's what you've got working against you.  You don't know speed or altitude of the aircraft.  Sure the icon is refreshing every couple of seconds, but that's very difficult to judge speed.  You would have to shoot beyond the target because that measurement is where the shell will land, so your shell would have to cross by the plane on it's route to that distance.  The aircraft would have to maintain a strait line and steady speed considering the distance the shell would have to travel.  Do all that and your margin of error is very small, only a tiny bubble around the aircraft where you can do any actual damage.

So I'd say it's very very unlikely if all you're going off of is a dot on radar.

I'm somewhat confused by what you're asking in the second question.  How would you shoot at a plane coming towards you?
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline druski85

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 01:54:50 PM »
Yea, unless you pop someone on the runway (still insanely unlikely) I don't see how you would ever frag an aircraft using map click firing.  Maybe a goon parked near town would be the other option, heh.  On the other hand, the 5" shells will travel further than 6K, so you can manually aim and hit someone outside of icon range if you time it well. 

Regarding your second question, it really just takes a lot of practice.  Perhaps one of the trainers will have a set of guidelines to use for leading a target properly, but in my mind the best way to get used to hitting targets flying at crazy angles is just a whole lot of practice.   :aok

Offline Whitey33

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 02:01:13 PM »
Thx Jayhawk. I know facts of  AA-firing in real life. But i wasnīt sure if cvīs radar were telling speed and alt in game because auto ack is firing beyond icon range.

Your last question is confusing me as an non-english speaking man. Well, how about put my question this way: How to aim 5 or 8 incher when shooting enemy planes? Crosshair to planes icon or ...?

Edit. thx to Druski too

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 02:06:59 PM »
Thx Jayhawk. I know facts of  AA-firing in real life. But i wasnīt sure if cvīs radar were telling speed and alt in game because auto ack is firing beyond icon range.

Your last question is confusing me as an non-english speaking man. Well, how about put my question this way: How to aim 5 or 8 incher when shooting enemy planes? Crosshair to planes icon or ...?

Yeah, I assumed some things were lost in translation.  You have to lead the aircraft and also account for the shell drop (the effects of gravity on the shell).  So aim where the airplane will be when the shell gets there.  That just takes practice, try it offline and you should find the right spot.  The only time you should aim directly at the aircraft is if it's coming strait at you.  You still need to account for the shell dropping though.  If the contact is 2.0k out from you moving towards you, you can pretty well put the cross hairs directly on the plane, the shell won't drop too much in that distance.  More distance than that and you'll need to aim above the aircraft.  Don't forget to account for speed in all of this, if the plane is going faster, lead it further.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Whitey33

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 02:27:48 PM »
Ok, that explains a lot. I tought there were somekind of radar guided system in heavy naval artillery. But obviously there isnīt and i have to use same method as in 40mm flak.

Thx again sir.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 04:32:56 PM »
Ok, that explains a lot. I tought there were somekind of radar guided system in heavy naval artillery. But obviously there isnīt and i have to use same method as in 40mm flak.

Thx again sir.

A couple things to take into consideration here.

One is that the definition of "radar guided" in the days of WWII is different than the definitnion for "radar guided" these days.  These days, radar guided munitions (guided missiles) can hit a single sub or super-sonic aircraft from miles upon miles away.  Back in WWII, if a ship-based radar located another ship hidden by overcast and fog but were still able to range in their guns to within a few football fields it was considered successful radar guidance.

The other is an issue with game radar compared to real-life WWII radar.  In WWII radar was nowhere near as acurate in precise x & y coordinates and dots displayed on our clipboard maps, even with them only being updated a few times a minute.  However, one major tradeoff for that is that our in-game radar has no way of informing us the ball-park altitudes of contacts like they were able to later in the war with WWII radars.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 06:10:58 PM »
The 5" guns have AA shells available and can shoot at flying targets. The 8" guns do not and are fairly restricted to shore bombardment.

You can practice with 5" guns using the Lead Computed Gunsight in the Training Arena or offline.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Whitey33

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 09:58:16 AM »
The 5" guns have AA shells available and can shoot at flying targets. The 8" guns do not and are fairly restricted to shore bombardment.

You can practice with 5" guns using the Lead Computed Gunsight in the Training Arena or offline.

Forgive me  my stupidity but i have forgotten how i can activate Lead computer gunsight. I remember there is some things in the arena settings i have to change but what :confused:

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 10:25:39 AM »
Forgive me  my stupidity but i have forgotten how i can activate Lead computer gunsight. I remember there is some things in the arena settings i have to change but what :confused:

In the TA it's already set up, you just need to hit Ctrl+Tab to enable friendly lock so you can target planes from the same country.  If we can make the time difference work I'm happy to spend some time in there playing target drone if you want to get some practice.

Offline you can turn on the lead computing gunsight by going to Arena Setup --> Environment --> Arena Settings --> FlightModeFlags

80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Whitey33

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 02:22:56 AM »
Thanks Soulyss. I trained shooting last wednesday and there were some promising results. Maybe one day i kill em all :lol

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 02:21:21 PM »
Thanks Soulyss. I trained shooting last wednesday and there were some promising results. Maybe one day i kill em all :lol

It's just a matter of time and practice. Even after practicing often there are days when I don't get any explosions near a plane online. Always wondered if it was lag or duds?
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54