Author Topic: Radeon 8500 AH benchmarks  (Read 1255 times)

Offline mrsid2

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Radeon 8500 AH benchmarks
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2001, 02:32:00 PM »
I bought finally Leadtek GF3 ti200 and it gives me 100-140 fps in mindanao/pony 1024x768x32 no fsaa.

240+ fps looking at the sky..

Image quality is WAY better than in my old elsa gladiac mx. The purchase was worth it just because of that.

FYI geforce line cards get blurry looking text and icons to aces high if trilinear or anisotropic texture filtering is in use, I don't know why. Maybe a bug?

Texture filtering disabled, text and icons are as sharp as any 2d text.

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2001, 05:28:00 PM »
yeah i get the same thing in aces high text with anisotropic.. btw ripley what cpu do you have that you get 240 thats way higher than me!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2001, 08:11:00 AM »
Originally posted by Mr RiplEy:
I bought finally Leadtek GF3 ti200 and it gives me 100-140 fps in mindanao/pony 1024x768x32 no fsaa.

240+ fps looking at the sky..

Image quality is WAY better than in my old elsa gladiac mx. The purchase was worth it just because of that.

FYI geforce line cards get blurry looking text and icons to aces high if trilinear or anisotropic texture filtering is in use, I don't know why. Maybe a bug?

Texture filtering disabled, text and icons are as sharp as any 2d text.

is there a setting to improve 2D text with the geforce2 ultra? AH looks fine, it's when I go out of AH to the rest of windows the fuzzy text makes me eyes hurt.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline mrsid2

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2001, 10:45:00 AM »
Zigrat that was vsync off and looking at empty sky.. Normal fps offline with something in view is around 100.

Inside intense smoke fps drops online to 46 but I've never seen it go lower so far, except when I used 4xfsaa. Even then it never got to the point of stuttering. I hated FSAA (drops fps, makes lines look better yes, but causes vibrating lines when looking in the far distance textures.)

Eagler: yes there is something you can do but it requires voiding your warranty and soldering.   :rolleyes:

Bad image quality in 2D applications is a general problem with geforce cards and it's caused by low-quality RF-filtering. There is a way to bypass those filters by soldering jumpers and resistors to the card but obviously this is not for the faint hearted.

The purpose of those RF filters is to reduce radio-frequency emissions from the card, too bad they destroy high-res image quality in the process.

I chose Leadtek because they use high-quality filters in all thier tdh cards and the image quality improvement compared to my old Elsa Gladiac MX is phenomenal. No more fuzzy fonts when going to high-freq!

And believe me, that pissed me off because I have a trinitron screen.. shouldn't be fuzzy.   :)

Edit: You can try to get better image quality by trying to adjust your monitor color convergence and/or dropping display resolution to 1024x768 if you run it higher. The RF filter bug affects mainly high resolutions because the voltage delivered to the signal drops in comparison to the rise of the frequency.

[ 11-29-2001: Message edited by: Mr RiplEy ]

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2001, 10:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by Mr RiplEy:
Zigrat that was vsync off and looking at empty sky.. Normal fps offline with something in view is around 100.

Inside intense smoke fps drops online to 46 but I've never seen it go lower so far, except when I used 4xfsaa. Even then it never got to the point of stuttering. I hated FSAA (drops fps, makes lines look better yes, but causes vibrating lines when looking in the far distance textures.)

Eagler: yes there is something you can do but it requires voiding your warranty and soldering.   :rolleyes:

Bad image quality in 2D applications is a general problem with geforce cards and it's caused by low-quality RF-filtering. There is a way to bypass those filters by soldering jumpers and resistors to the card but obviously this is not for the faint hearted.

The purpose of those RF filters is to reduce radio-frequency emissions from the card, too bad they destroy high-res image quality in the process.

I chose Leadtek because they use high-quality filters in all thier tdh cards and the image quality improvement compared to my old Elsa Gladiac MX is phenomenal. No more fuzzy fonts when going to high-freq!

And believe me, that pissed me off because I have a trinitron screen.. shouldn't be fuzzy.   :)

Hmm
I have the Leadtek WinFast GeForce2 Ultra card, 64 mb on a Sony 19" trinitron monitor. If it's good, I'd hate to see a Elsa card  :)
Don't try an ATI card for 2D, it'll make you cry when you have to go back..
Where can I find the soldering instructions?
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline mrsid2

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2001, 12:35:00 PM »
Eagler: To my knowledge the higher quality filters were first implemented to Geforce3 TDH and later models like my TI200.

Check it out here: http://www.geocities.com/porotuner/imagequality.html

[ 11-29-2001: Message edited by: Mr RiplEy ]

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2001, 05:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by Eagler:
mrfish
in smoke, do you get any herky, jerky going on?

sorry eagler havent read this in a while - yeah sometimes but only when there are a lot of people on. its very nice the rest of the time. real clear and the transitions are amazing

- like, if i do a roll, the mountain looks totally crisp through the whole thing and it doesnt kind of roll around with me or look hazy at the edges - it stays put - ya know what i mean?? hard to explain but its a great card imo.

its not just smoke - i get jerky internet every now and then wherever i'm at - relogging usually clears it up so i dont think its the card.

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2001, 07:06:00 AM »
Originally posted by mrfish:

its not just smoke - i get jerky internet every now and then wherever i'm at - relogging usually clears it up so i dont think its the card.

I used to get this also . The easiest way to see it is to watch the planes taking off from the tower . They would "jerk" along taking off , I always thought they were in time time with the "host que" , if that bottom line was flat it went away , if it was going up and down .5 then I seen it .

The good thing is it's went away since I changed back to my old nVidia card . I do still beileve there's a driver issue with ATI and AH , it came with version 1.08 .

I checked offline to see if I had made any headway with getting the smoke to work better by ,

get in a field gun , set "protect objects" to 0 , then shoot up a vhanger . Once that was smoking good , would turn the gun in circles as fast as I could and see if the screen "jerked" on the way past the smoking hanger .

With my ATI card I got 8 jerks before it would be past the smoke . With my old nVida card I get one small one when the smoke just comes on the screen and another when it leaves .

As you say , the color does look better but it sure wasn't playable anymore near any smoke at all . Now it doesn't bother .

take care
spro
My current Ace's High handle is spro