Author Topic: Fishing  (Read 82572 times)

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Re: Fishing
« Reply #1575 on: November 15, 2016, 08:22:54 PM »
Not very good video, my wife had the camera, but last year in Costa Rica after about 7 hours of trolling a goose egg this monster lept 3' out of the water behind the boat with the lure in his mouth. What followed was an hour long acrobatic show that unfortunately my wife forgot to tape cause she was excited and I was busy coaching my son on how to fight the fish. Ive caught bill fish before but never a blue , still , what father would grab the rod when their only child was on the boat? Actually they were both napping and only the mate and I saw the fish hit. Knowing the fish is still out there maybe to give a young person another thrill makes it even sweeter.

Rich - Awesome catch for your son - I know you gotta be beaming after that!
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1576 on: November 15, 2016, 08:29:04 PM »
Fished a local lake this weekend with the wife.  It was her birthday and she insisted (twist my arm).  Crappie was the target and we found them.  Caught 30+ but most were babies.  Kept a few eaters for a future supper.

Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1577 on: November 16, 2016, 07:15:52 AM »

Rich - Awesome catch for your son - I know you gotta be beaming after that!

Thank you. Yes it was a thrill and since becoming a father putting back the trophy fish is a thrill too. Now he can be the only one in his Squadron to catch a big Blue Marlin.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1578 on: November 16, 2016, 06:01:15 PM »
Great Fish Rich.. :aok

GREAT Wife Ammo  :banana:

:cheers: Jimmy
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #1579 on: December 16, 2016, 03:29:31 PM »
It's the most wonderful time of the year.

To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #1580 on: December 16, 2016, 04:45:26 PM »
It's the most wonderful time of the year.

Cool video ! Interesting high Tec :) fishing technique : , why did you release  the pike?  Was good size for grill.    :D
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 04:53:55 PM by ghi »

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #1581 on: December 16, 2016, 04:58:39 PM »
I don't keep pike unless they are gilled and won't release.  Too much of a PITA dealing with Y bones, plus I can get a dinner of perch whenever so why bother.  I do want to try pickling one sometime though.
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #1582 on: December 21, 2016, 10:50:28 PM »
Moar Pike. 

Murphy's Law - The camera battery will die whenever there is something worth filming.
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Online Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1583 on: December 22, 2016, 01:23:23 AM »
Moar Pike. 

Murphy's Law - The camera battery will die whenever there is something worth filming.

cool stuff, beats my vexilar

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #1584 on: December 22, 2016, 11:25:06 AM »
beats my vexilar

Probably not.  I prefer the way the information is layed out on a graph vs. a flasher but the flashers are fine tuned specifically for ice.  The only graph that's made just for ice is the LX6/7/9 which starts out at $600 and goes from there.  Can't wait to take it up to Wazee and see how it does in the abyss. 
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Online Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1585 on: December 22, 2016, 01:21:52 PM »
Ive got a helix 5 for my fishing boat, and was looking to buy the iceducer and carrying case for it.  I personally like to try things like that out first before I buy them.

Ive lived within 30 minutes of Wazee for 20 years now and have yet to try it out.  Was a walleye netted by the DNR out of there just shy of the state record. 

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #1586 on: December 23, 2016, 01:40:53 AM »
I personally like to try things like that out first before I buy them.

If you wanna test it just find something to mount it on like possibly even the base for your Vex, or a piece of wood, bucket, cooler, etc. then rig the transducer to hang level and use your Vex battery to power.  As long as it's the standard HB dual beam transom mount transducer it's not too hard to set up.  I have a Humminbird that I was using for the last few years till I picked the Garmin up a couple weeks ago, I can post a pic of how I rigged the transducer if you want.

I've read quite a few positive posts from guys regarding the Helix 5 on the ice.  Do a search on iceshanty.com and I'm sure you'll find all the info you need.

You should probably hit up Wazee sometime especially if you're that close.  It's a nice change of pace with the scenery and the fishing is so different from everything else around here.  It's pretty cool to look down the hole and see Trout circling your jig 30ft. down.  Plus knowing that somewhere in that tiny lake is a Walleye the size of Rosie O'Donnel's leg doesn't hurt either. 
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH