Author Topic: Saitek X52 Flight Control System Reviews Wanted  (Read 2408 times)

Offline Lepape2

• Nickel Member
      • YouTube musician/video channel
Re: Saitek X52 Flight Control System Reviews Wanted
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2010, 03:28:06 PM »
For me, all the problems with the X52 started happening after I bought it... after 2 years, its mysteriously starting to work right. Go figure why!

-One problem I had to resolve was when I lost pitch control... I opened up the case and found a wire cut in two! Seems it was rugging on the lower panel (even with all the grease already smudged in) so I taped the whole harness together. Problem solved.

-Next problem was the top buttons on the stick. For some reason, sometimes when you shoot and rotate your view for example, the inputs seem to be randomly intermittent and also can not work at all. Opened all up the stick, tried to find the problem to no avail. Next day it was working fine. Then a week later it does it again only to have the weirdness mysteriously solved minutes later... Happened about 5 times. Oh, and smashing the stick makes no difference  :joystick:

-Now there is the calibration problem (flashing LEDs followed by decalibration) that everyone has (even with the driver patch and after trying all USB hubs)). The only times I noticed it happening was when I squeezed the main upper double trigger all the way (had 1st trigger in brakes and 2nd trigger on main guns). They flash very dimly when you test it. So I just swapped the brakes for the main guns and don't use the 2nd trigger anymore. Problem solved.

-Joystick can also decalibrate if the wire plug to the stick is slightly disconnected (and it disconnects easily). For me, it does so because I hold it on my legs and not on da table. One friend also told me not to disconnect the link wire too often as it wears the plugs and can render one or two stick useless.

-What else... YES, for the good quality VS certainty of failure, its a waste of money I think for such a high price. Buy a used one if you can or/and be ready for the risks.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 03:31:00 PM by Lepape2 »
Jug Movie 1 - Hunt or Prey
Jug Movie 2 - The Jug's Tail

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2010, 03:28:40 PM »
Agreed almost 100%. I did not have any issues with my old X52 but the CH product is just better.
I actually had a X-52 last two years :huh

the other two less then a year, although I may fly a bit ham fisted, Since the CH fighter, that thing is rock solid, doubled my hit% over night, far more precise  :rock

Offline DCCBOSS

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2010, 04:47:05 PM »
Look into the Saitek X65F a few in my Squad have one and I will be getting one next.
"Where ever you go, there you are".
C.O. of Rolling Thunder

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2010, 05:05:57 PM »
 I got my X52 back in 03/04,the only problem it ever developed was the twist rudder pot started to spike!

I tried several "fixes" but a set of pedals was the real solution.There's a couple of thing you can do to increase the life span on the X52.

1}the cord between throttle and JS needs adjustment to outside collar,simple spreading with a set of pliers will do.

2} use a powered USB hub and turn off the LED's and turn down the MDF's display.

3} mount the system so it doesn't move around,even just a simple piece of plywood that you can clamp,tape,whatever to your desk. this alone will solve most the problems.

4}Whether you choose the pro or regular x52 the stick will become sloppy after some use,this can be compensated for with the use of shims,I've used cardboard,foam,wood and I'm working on a steel washer ATM.Unfortunately as Mace said the spring perch acts as a bearing/bushing and I haven't come up with a solution for that yet!

It's difficult for me to get CH equipment where I live,must order it from another country,so I can't comment on the differences but from what I've heard a good CH stick,X52 throttle and pedals would be the way to go. Maybe in another 4 or 5 years I'll order a CH stick,by then the X52 will have paid it's dues...... :lol :lol

:salute

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2010, 05:08:06 PM »
Look into the Saitek X65F a few in my Squad have one and I will be getting one next.

Saitek is a joke, the only thing I have seen from them that was even remotely good are there peddles, I would be very surprised if this was any different.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2010, 05:20:42 PM »
Saitek is a joke, the only thing I have seen from them that was even remotely good are there peddles, I would be very surprised if this was any different.
I kept the Saitek pedals I like them a great deal.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2010, 05:24:16 PM »
I kept the Saitek pedals I like them a great deal.

yup me too, plus I use the throttle from the X-52, And CH fighter stick, very sweet set-up. :rock

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2010, 01:34:14 AM »

whats the major difference from X52? Figure if mine ever does give out I'll give that a go.

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2010, 06:29:39 AM »
Check/Search the hardware software forum, there's lots of comparison info in there. 

<S>
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2010, 06:33:16 AM »
whats the major difference from X52? Figure if mine ever does give out I'll give that a go.

Completely different type of stick.  In general it's similar with a separate stick and throttle setup like the 52 but otherwise very, very different.  

The X65 stick has no gimbals at all, it doesn't move.  Instead of using gimbals it has electronic strain gauges that sense force applied to the stick by the pilot's hand.  No gimbals to wear out and no mechanical "slop."  The throttle can also be split for twin engine control.  Of course it also runs around $400 ($375 discounted).   For me it's right on the top of the list to replace my worn out X52 Pro but I'm also considering the TM Warthog (not released yet) which is a moving stick but uses a ball joint instead of gimbals and the Logitech G940 ($275) if they ever get the current issues really ironed out with it's force-feedback system.  Don't get confused though.  The X65 is NOT force-feedback, it's force-sensing and senses the force applied by the pilot against it while the Logitech has motors for force-feedback to the pilot.

Of course, the biggest difference is the price range.  The Warthog isn't released yet but it'll be up there in $$$.  Dispite the X52's disadvantages it's the best thing going in the $100-$150 range for a stick and throttle setup and most will get a couple of years of use out of one.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 06:38:48 AM by Mace2004 »
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2010, 04:11:50 PM »
I've put my X-52 and pedals through 3 years of heavy use, it's still in good shape.  I can't speak to it being super durable, as I'm pretty easy on my equipment, but I've never had a problem with it.  I like the configuration software, and the freedom it gives me to configure the buttons how I want them.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline smedddd

• Zinc Member
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2010, 05:08:06 AM »
I've gotten three plus years out of my X52 as well. No problems. I bought the peddals two years ago.....much better than the twisty stick for the rudder.
I mounted mine on a "sideways H" mahogany+aluminum support. This goes between my legs for very good stability.

X52 base
                           -------------    <------1/4 " aluminum
                                    l
                                    l     <--------1 1/2 " mahogany
                                    l
                                    l
                           -------------    <-------1/4" aluminum

V/R and <S> , LTARjink
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 05:11:08 AM by smedddd »

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2010, 01:39:34 PM »

yall using pedals or just the twist?

Offline Rodent57

• AH Training Corps
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2010, 02:47:16 PM »
PEDALS (Period).

BTW (after watching this argument since 2005): 

- CH users generally love CH (and they are generally zealots in their passion from what I've seen).   Frankly, I can’t stand the configuration (nor feel) of CH sticks (I prefer the "F-4/F-15/F-18" style of HOTAS to that of the "F-16"--too many years of familiarity I suspect).

- X-52 users are generally not so zealous, and for what its worth, appear to be far more numerous.  I've been using my X-52 PRO since early 2006 (about 4.5 years) and it’s still fine (though I'm considering replacing it with a new one on general principles). I also plan to wait until Mace "test flies" his new stick for a few months before I'm will to shell out that much money when the current model works fine.

I'm certainly not anti-CH...I strongly suggest you try out different sticks if you can before you choose the one that fits your tastes.

-Rodent

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
-AE

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2010, 01:40:21 PM »
PEDALS (Period).

BTW (after watching this argument since 2005): 

- CH users generally love CH (and they are generally zealots in their passion from what I've seen).   Frankly, I can’t stand the configuration (nor feel) of CH sticks (I prefer the "F-4/F-15/F-18" style of HOTAS to that of the "F-16"--too many years of familiarity I suspect).

- X-52 users are generally not so zealous, and for what its worth, appear to be far more numerous.  I've been using my X-52 PRO since early 2006 (about 4.5 years) and it’s still fine (though I'm considering replacing it with a new one on general principles). I also plan to wait until Mace "test flies" his new stick for a few months before I'm will to shell out that much money when the current model works fine.

I'm certainly not anti-CH...I strongly suggest you try out different sticks if you can before you choose the one that fits your tastes.

-Rodent

well I'm not going to spend the money on pedals because the twist has been good to me. I'd like to know how effective the twist is on the X65F from AH users.