Author Topic: Drag changes due to damage  (Read 658 times)

Offline maus92

• Zinc Member
Drag changes due to damage
« on: July 24, 2010, 09:34:56 PM »
Does the game model the changes in drag after damage is inflicted?  A Brewster had half it's wing blown off and was doing ~85kts, but was able to out-accelerate and out-run my Seafire (at first) that was doing about 120kts....  We were both at low altitude and in a shallow dive to start, but the flattened out for the chase.  Would the damage and extra rudder needed to fly semi-wingless add more drag to the plane?
Callsign: nag

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: Drag changes due to damage
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 10:00:26 PM »
You can have a plane with two half wings and it will still go full speed.  Same as when you remove half the tail it keeps turning just as good.

Semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline GearJrk

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 10:12:12 PM »
I've found that if the elevator and horizontal stab on one side are removed, the plane flys normally.  If you have someone remove just the elevator the plane flys like it should missing that surface.  So, what have we learned?  When you shoot at me I ask that you go ahead and remove the horizontal stab along w/ that elevator...thanks.   :aok
Gear
Claim Jumpers

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 06:48:08 AM »
You can have a plane with two half wings and it will still go full speed.  Same as when you remove half the tail it keeps turning just as good.

I've never understood that.

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 07:31:57 AM »
less weight!?

:salute
mobilis in mobile

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 07:57:08 AM »
and less drag. However, the corollary to this formula is that the wing will stall at a greatly decreased AOA, which is why it wasn't designed with half a wing to begin with. 

So to take advantage of his new ability, make him turn - even a little. {grin}

<S>
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue