Author Topic: Help with New Sound Settings  (Read 549 times)

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
Help with New Sound Settings
« on: July 25, 2010, 11:48:28 AM »
Ok... I know we dont have individual sound control, but I have been trying to set my sound so that voice comes through my headset only, and all other sounds come through my speakers.  I know where the buttons and sliders are in the sound settings area of the clipboard, but selecting "headset" makes no difference.  All the sounds still come through headset and speakers.  

Also... I have my speakers running off of the back panel output jack on my PC, and the headset is running off of the front panel headset jack.  They are standard audio plugs, not USB.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 11:50:33 AM by AKP »

***G3-MF***

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
Re: Help with New Sound Settings
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 12:48:01 PM »
The headphones would have to be registered with Windows as a seperate, selectable output device.  Is there any setting in AH that will play sound out of the Headset only?

<S>
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 01:18:59 PM »
In the new setup, it has the option for each category of sounds (voice, music, effects, and environment) to come through either your speakers, or your headphones.

And mine are separate devices.

***G3-MF***

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 03:52:10 PM »
 Look at your Dxdiag. If it lists your speakers under one heading, and the headset under another in the "sounds devices" section then they are separate. If it does not list them then they are seen by the computer as one device and you can't split them.

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 05:07:34 PM »
Gotcha... so it really is all one device then.  If I switched to a USB headset would that make them separate?

***G3-MF***

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 07:49:01 PM »
I'm pretty sure yes

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 06:16:10 AM »
Yes, but USB sound devices are horrible for gaming - search for some of the earlier threads in the Hardware and Software for more information.

<S>
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 07:30:24 AM »
If you look more closely at the Sound preferences you will see on the right of the sliders the actual sound processor used.
If you only have one sound chip/card in your PC the Headset and speakers will have the same processor listed. So the output will get mixed irrespective of your speakers/headphone selection on the slider.

Once mixed you will not be able to separate the sounds even if you have two devices e.g USB headset and line jack speakers. You would need two separate sound chips in your PC the to stop the sounds being mixed and to select each one as appropriate in the drop box for Speaker and microphone.

Well that's what I think anyway  :)

Edit:
I have posted a question in Sounds and skins forum to try and find out more.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 08:39:18 AM by Blagard »

Offline Knite

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 08:39:42 AM »
Gotcha... so it really is all one device then.  If I switched to a USB headset would that make them separate?

I can confirm that.

I use my sound card for all game sounds, and use a USB headset for Vox in/out (Plantronics Gamecom Pro 1 I believe...).
There IS a slight performance hit in using a USB device for sound, but if your machine isn't struggling to play AH, performance hit should be minimal (as an example I have a Core 2 Duo running at 3.2GHz and a Radeon 5770 and run AH under Vista64 at 1920x1080 at 60fps with all details turned up and self shadows at like 2048)
Knite

39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"

I'm basically here to lower the 39th's score :P

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 09:11:20 AM »
I use my sound card for all game sounds, and use a USB headset for Vox in/out

So you can see the USB headset and your sound card in the dropbox for speakers/ headphones ? Edit: - YES!
Do you have a dedicated sound card ? Edit: N/A

I did not know if USB headhphones used the sound chip or not. But I think typical onboard sound chips also use the CPU. So having a USB device will further the CPU load. Bottom line then would be to suck it and see if you notice the CPU hit in your game.

Edit:
Thanks Knite for reply to my question posted elsewhere. - Now moved by Skuzzy to Technical Support.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 09:53:09 AM by Blagard »