Author Topic: Mapping a Plane to specific “Change to Mode X”  (Read 593 times)

Offline InCrypt

• Copper Member
      • My personal Website.
Mapping a Plane to specific “Change to Mode X”
« on: July 24, 2010, 04:07:33 PM »

I have both an X52 Pro-flight stick and a Saitek Pro-flight Yolk. At present I have switches on my X52 configured for Mode 1, Mode 2, Mode 3, and Mode 4 for different vehicle and aircraft situations. For the most part using the “Automatically Switch Modes” check box will get it right. When I’m in a plane it uses mode 1. When I’m in a vehicle it will use mode 3.
Now here’s the rub. When I enter a bomber, or any plane that uses a yolk for that matter – such as a P-38 or C47, I am put into mode 1 and I have to manually chose Mode 3, or Mode 4 using either the keyboard or my mapped X52 buttons (I have Mode 3 set for multi-engine Yolks and Mode 4 for single engine yolks).

So, this is my question. Is there a way I can map it so that every time I launch an IL-2 it will automatically select Mode 4 for me?

I had to launch an IL-2 repeatedly as I was getting vulched or shot down. Each time I would launch I would have to take a moment to make sure I was in the correct mode and the delay made it easier for a tank camped on a hill to get a bead on me. Eventually I’d like to map the C47 and P-38, and all bombers for that matter, to mode 3. And some fighters, like the Spitfires and hurricanes could be mapped to mode 4 eventually.

Please let me know,
InCrypt
Buddist proverb: "When the Student is ready, the teacher will appear."

Since I have no teacher I know I'm still working on being ready...

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
Re: Mapping a Plane to specific “Change to Mode X”
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 05:27:21 PM »
AFAIK you cannot.  Mode 1 = aircraft, Mode 2 = GV's.

I would suggest in the situation you described, take off first and switch modes second.

:angel:

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 05:29:18 PM »
Presumably all you need to do is uncheck the auto select mode so that you manually set the mode.
So select your IL2 mode and that should stay until you manually switch.

I do not know of any way the AH software can be configured to identify different modes associated with different aircraft, i.e. to use your stick or yoke mode.

Would be rather interesting if there was something you could put in the aircraft config file that would allow it to be done the way views and sounds can be saved differently to the default!.

More code for the guys at AH ?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 05:44:57 PM by Blagard »

Offline InCrypt

• Copper Member
      • My personal Website.
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 06:49:12 PM »
I was hoping that it would be something easy in the GUI that I had missed. As an alternative I figured it would most likely be something in the aircraft config file - something I'm not opposed to editing. But that's asuming it can be done at all.

And yes, it would be something cool for the coding guys to add!

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 08:53:17 PM »
It would be nice if one of the AH team could advise if it is possible to add something to one of the aircraft files along the lines of "Mode=3" to overridethe default auto selection. Any takers ?  :pray

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 08:55:18 PM »
What we have right now works fine and adding further complexity seems redundant to me.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline InCrypt

• Copper Member
      • My personal Website.
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 07:42:46 PM »
What we have right now works fine and adding further complexity seems redundant to me.
Posted on: Yesterday at 08:53:17 PM Posted by: Blagard 

I would adjust that statement and say that "What we have right now works fine for you..." But if I'm asking the question, then it's obviously not working "fine" for me. Hence the request for how to do it - if possible, and if it can be something that is added - if not.

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 05:29:35 AM »
Posted on: Yesterday at 08:53:17 PM Posted by: Blagard 

InCrypt, the quote above in your post has correct text, but was not posted by me, it was Chalenge.

Otherwise I totally agree with your reponse to Chalenge

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 06:00:16 AM »
It is a perfectly legitimate question.  The only way to pull it off would be to map the "Switch to mode X" commands to a single button on the stick and manually select which command set to use.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline InCrypt

• Copper Member
      • My personal Website.
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 11:18:49 AM »
Blagard,
My apologies. I grabbed the wrong "Posed by" when I was copying for the quote - and now I can't edit the post to correct ;(

Skuzzy,
Rgr to having the "Switch to Mode X" mapped to a joystick key. In my case that would be the X52's T3/T4, and T5/T6 rockers, while in the Saitek Profiler mode 2. It's how I'm currently working around it, and, it looks like that's how I'll have to do it for the foreseeable future. Can you advise, however, on how to add this functionality to the "enhancement's request" list?

Thanks again,
InCrypt

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 02:30:02 PM »
Skuzzys solution to your problem is precisely what I do to get the GV scaling when I am gunning in a bomber or field gun.

Mode 1 by default is for aircraft so I use mode 1 and mode 3 for airplanes. The pinky switch changes between them and when I need to 'force' mode 2 and 4 I use the index button (fighter stick pro).

Mode 2 by default is for vehicles so I use mode 2 and 4 for vehicles. The pinky switch changes between them andwhen I need to 'force' mode 1 and 3 I use the index button.

The reason I use two modes for each aircraft and vehicles is primarily for the hat views to be extended from level views to also include the up views.

And again I think mapping this to individual aircraft or vehicles would be redundant (not that your question was redundant).
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.