Author Topic: Squelch Feature  (Read 1685 times)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: Squelch Feature
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2010, 11:38:46 AM »
You would be surprised how many times a new player enters the arena, using an old ID from someone else, and then calls/emails me complaining about being treated like a scum bag.

I usually change thier ID so they can get a fresh start and all is happy with the world.

I can only imagine.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2010, 12:00:59 PM »
You would be surprised how many times a new player enters the arena, using an old ID from someone else, and then calls/emails me complaining about being treated like a scum bag.  It is the leading reason why so many people complain about the community being unfriendly.

I usually change thier ID so they can get a fresh start and all is happy with the world.

Of course there are those who just quit and go to another game and really complain about how this community is full of players who revel in hatred.

If it happens more than once a year I would be surprised yes :)

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2010, 12:12:36 PM »
You would be surprised how many times a new player enters the arena, using an old ID from someone else, and then calls/emails me complaining about being treated like a scum bag.  It is the leading reason why so many people complain about the community being unfriendly.

IIRC Back in the day when you canceled your account that name was locked, and if you wanted it you would have to call and request it.  It seems like that was the right way to go about preventing that, and also save strife when someone goes on a break and comes back to find their name is taken.

Before you just dismiss the idea of permasquelch off hand please take a minute of your time to answer some questions.

1.  Is this wish feasible from a coding standpoint?  Given the amount of awesome you guys put out I'm thinking yes, but then I began to wonder when I remembered that if you squelch a player all they have to do is log out then back in to be unsquelched(which is an annoyance all it's own).  

2. If the answer to #1 is yes, do you keep chat logs?  

3. If the answer to #2 is yes, please go check the logs of a wonderful fellow named vDALLAS and come back here and tell me we don't have a need for permasquelch.  I don't like to name names but that is just to give you an idea here, there are many others like him and they are usually guys that have been around for years and are never going to change.   Some of them are PMers, others are constant whiners and AH conspiracy theorists, and some of them just seem mentally unstable.

I understand that some times folks are on tilt, or have had too much to drink and that's cool.  The usual squelch function is fine the way it is in those cases.  Ideally all I want is a file that the game references on login for the usual suspects.  It doesn't effect game play in any way shape or form, and as far as the social dynamic of the arenas is concerned it would help not hurt.
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2010, 12:16:49 PM »
IIRC Back in the day when you canceled your account that name was locked, and if you wanted it you would have to call and request it.  It seems like that was the right way to go about preventing that, and also save strife when someone goes on a break and comes back to find their name is taken.

Before you just dismiss the idea of permasquelch off hand please take a minute of your time to answer some questions.

1.  Is this wish feasible from a coding standpoint?  Given the amount of awesome you guys put out I'm thinking yes, but then I began to wonder when I remembered that if you squelch a player all they have to do is log out then back in to be unsquelched(which is an annoyance all it's own).  

2. If the answer to #1 is yes, do you keep chat logs?  

3. If the answer to #2 is yes, please go check the logs of a wonderful fellow named vDALLAS and come back here and tell me we don't have a need for permasquelch.  I don't like to name names but that is just to give you an idea here, there are many others like him and they are usually guys that have been around for years and are never going to change.   Some of them are PMers, others are constant whiners and AH conspiracy theorists, and some of them just seem mentally unstable.

I understand that some times folks are on tilt, or have had too much to drink and that's cool.  The usual squelch function is fine the way it is in those cases.  Ideally all I want is a file that the game references on login for the usual suspects.  It doesn't effect game play in any way shape or form, and as far as the social dynamic of the arenas is concerned it would help not hurt.

He's nothing compared to WARBEAST. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2010, 12:49:06 PM »
He's nothing compared to WARBEAST. 
Don't forget Draggon.  :lol

I can tell who in this discussion have never been exposed to little children...a few years of dealing with little kids running around the house and you learn how to use the squelch feature built into your skull.

Personally I have yet to use any squelch on anyone, I'm usually too busy playing the game to pay much attention to the juvenile banter that occurs on 200. People like Money are hilarious when you consider the fact that they think the junk they spew on 200 is any more worthy of paying attention to as those talking trash.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Money

• Copper Member
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2010, 06:57:16 PM »
Personally I have yet to use any squelch on anyone, I'm usually too busy playing the game to pay much attention to the juvenile banter that occurs on 200. People like Money are hilarious when you consider the fact that they think the junk they spew on 200 is any more worthy of paying attention to as those talking trash.

No, the jumps people make from clearly written text is hilarious, RIF Where did I say my 200 chat was "more worthy" than others?

And your, "people like money" comment makes it very clear you think your forum spew is more valuable than others here.  Pot Kettle

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2010, 07:12:13 PM »
RI remember the night we discussed for hours the proper etiquette to ask a sheep out on a date. Nobody complained, half the fun of the game is the way we actually make fun of each other.  If conversations bother you detune 200 or press alt f4 for the more enlightening chanel.

Semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2010, 07:42:21 PM »
The permanent squelch list is for the chronic squeakers, whiners and armchair generals.  It's the same people day in and day out.  There is more than one person who get squelched the instant I see them type.
:aok This is probably the second-most requested item after the B29
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/