Author Topic: Questions from an Advanced Noob  (Read 1557 times)

Offline Gooss

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.327th.com
Re: Questions from an Advanced Noob
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 12:32:22 AM »
Please fight.

I'm not sure eight passes in a cannon plane hoping for a snapshot is a fight.  In an E fight (I have the advantage), I want to be on your six in three passes or less.  I'd rather lose that fight than be boring.

No, you don't have to fight the way I say so.  In the meantime, I'm working on making you miss nine times.

HONK!
Gooss

CHICKS DIG GULLWINGS
flying and dying since Tour 19

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2010, 08:30:52 AM »
Well I've flown the F4U a few times and I like it's characteristics...provided you can stay fast.  I'm finding at low speeds I'm stalling out and crashing a lot.  I suppose that's why I'm gravitating towards the Brewster. It's a very forgiving plane at low speeds on the deck. 

I'm trying to transition into Spitfires but I find i still have difficulties with stalls, spins, etc.  I realize this is going to take a much lighter touch with the stick and throttle than I'm used to...it's been a while since I've flown (we're talking Air Warrior, here).  The cannon are also a problem.  I've yet to experience taking down a con with just the cannon shots and they don't seem to do fatal damage on just a couple of hits like I've been told they do.  I'm more of a spray-and-pray type at the moment, although my accuracy improved when I turned my tracers off.

Morfiend was kind enough to help me practice some merge and defensive tactics on Monday and that was very helpful.

-Muzzy

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2010, 05:42:38 PM »
 Thx Muzzy for the kind words.

I still think you need to practice using a light touch,as I mentioned your over controling the plane and it's causing you difficulties.

Next time you see me remind me to show you an exersize that you can practice to help you gain a lighter touch and maybe you wont stall as often.

:salute
PS: film you next engagement and review it,count the actual cannon hits,I think you'll see it doesnt take too many,in the heat of battle you often dont notice just how many rounds missed.

Offline Viperius

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2010, 10:00:51 AM »
I'm trying to transition into Spitfires but I find i still have difficulties with stalls, spins, etc.  I realize this is going to take a much lighter touch with the stick and throttle than I'm used to...it's been a while since I've flown (we're talking Air Warrior, here).  The cannon are also a problem.  I've yet to experience taking down a con with just the cannon shots and they don't seem to do fatal damage on just a couple of hits like I've been told they do.  I'm more of a spray-and-pray type at the moment, although my accuracy improved when I turned my tracers off.
It depends on where you hit, a single well placed burst of 50. cal to the cockpit is enough to kill an enemy con with cannons that even goes in 1 shot.
In the Spits especially it is important to conserve your ammo as the cannons run dry very fast with an itchy trigger finger. Try to concentrate your fire on a single place on the plane (wingroots, canopy, wings, elevators/rudder/tailsection).

I personally mostly use just the cannons in the Spits and I start firing from d400 (my convergence for both guntypes is 375). I only fire all guns when I have a brief snapshot on the enemy in which I have less then a second to do as much damage as possible on his plane.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 10:05:04 AM by Viperius »

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2010, 09:50:42 PM »
Yeah, I think I definitely need to try and develop a lighter touch.  The Brewster and the FM2 are very forgiving aircraft, so I can get away with a lot more.  The spit seems to take more finesse, especially at low speeds. 

I hate crashing.

-Muzzy

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"