Author Topic: How secure is our forum?  (Read 739 times)

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
How secure is our forum?
« on: December 17, 2010, 02:48:44 PM »
I'm not really sure if this is a bug or simply a misunderstanding on my part, but, Mrs Shida just typed my callsign into Google on her own computer and was able to access and read every post. I was further surprised to see that when she typed "Homemade Throttle" into Google (images) she could see every picture and further my complete description of operation and design features. Can anybody else repeat this experiment?

I'm not massively bothered, as I haven't posted anything sensitive (although I know those bastages from Saitek are probably stealing my design), but I had assumed since Aces High's forum required a username and password to use the search feature (for example), that the rest of the content would be also inaccessible without the same.

If this is not a bug then I seem to have missed the warning / instructions very easily.
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: How secure is our forum?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 02:50:38 PM »
We have our forum set so guests can read many of the forums (not all).  You cannot post here unless you register.

Not sure what you mean by "secure"?  Our board is a public board.  No game account is required to be a member of it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 03:18:05 PM »
Yeah roger understood, thank you Skuzzy, I had never tried to access anything without logging in, just was surprised that you could read everything without doing so.

Excuse my naivety, this is my first forum.
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 04:32:02 PM »
Look up my name bro, even more comes up here and my squad forum!  :eek:

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 04:37:58 PM »
Look up my name bro, even more comes up here and my squad forum!  :eek:

Only people who have specific access granted to them can access/view any of our private forums.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 05:20:52 PM »
Think he means from a google search point of view - forums which are open to public viewing are searchable by google. Secured forums shouldn't be.

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 12:53:38 AM »
Yup, can bypass the search function by using Google.

It's remarkable how much you can find that way. Just found a list of 155 AH players who are on Facebook which I've never seen before.

Krupinski, long time no duel sir!

I've got to go to now, I also found Yarble's credit card details and I've got some Christmas shopping to do  :bolt:
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 01:11:01 AM »
Yes google should be able to 'search' through anything public.

Try this...

go to google.com and in the search bar type the following:

skuzzy site:bbs.hitechcreations.com

this will search the bbs for the word "skuzzy".. or you can replace skuzzy with anything you want to find.

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 03:57:43 AM »
Yes google should be able to 'search' through anything public.

Try this...

go to google.com and in the search bar type the following:

skuzzy site:bbs.hitechcreations.com

this will search the bbs for the word "skuzzy".. or you can replace skuzzy with anything you want to find.

mmmmmmm  :) :devil :uhoh :bolt:
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 04:21:40 PM »

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 01:17:28 AM »
have different names on all the bb/games/stuff you do.  that's harder for them to track of you, if that bother you. or use a very common name like mine semp/guncrasher.  no one will bother to look my up because it has so many different meanings.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline fbEagle

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 09:01:40 PM »
I'm not really sure if this is a bug or simply a misunderstanding on my part, but, Mrs Shida just typed my callsign into Google on her own computer and was able to access and read every post. I was further surprised to see that when she typed "Homemade Throttle" into Google (images) she could see every picture and further my complete description of operation and design features. Can anybody else repeat this experiment?

I'm not massively bothered, as I haven't posted anything sensitive (although I know those bastages from Saitek are probably stealing my design), but I had assumed since Aces High's forum required a username and password to use the search feature (for example), that the rest of the content would be also inaccessible without the same.

If this is not a bug then I seem to have missed the warning / instructions very easily.

:huh  :headscratch:  :rofl  :rofl  :rofl IF YOUR WORRIED THAT SOMEONE ELSE WILL SEE WHAT U POST ONLINE DONT POST IT IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!
  i
<Insert witty remark here>

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 01:25:43 AM »
Thanks for the advice, but I'm not worried. When I found the Aces High forum I registered for an account immediately, since this is also my first forum, I simply misunderstood the meaning of the password and username.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-