Author Topic: Tanks rounds shooting down aircraft.  (Read 15570 times)

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Tanks rounds shooting down aircraft.
« on: July 28, 2010, 04:24:51 PM »
I think it might be time to look at tanks ability's at shooting down airborne aircraft at several K away with one shot. The same players that I have run in to of late can't seem to hit you with a flack at 800 out. How ever put them in at a tank & a round hits you from as much as 3k with 1 shot.

I have done this as well it just seems a little off when Shermans become flack units IMHO.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
Re: Tanks rounds shooting down aircraft.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 04:35:00 PM »
I concur.  Nose on close range is feasible but ranges that are beyond 1k should be almost impossible.  +1 to an HTC review.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 05:14:04 PM »
Very first time HiTech was testing the vehicles, he shot down Pyro, who was flying in a circle 2K out.  That was the very first tank round ever fired in this game.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 05:16:54 PM »
I think it might be time to look at tanks ability's at shooting down airborne aircraft at several K away with one shot. The same players that I have run in to of late can't seem to hit you with a flack at 800 out. How ever put them in at a tank & a round hits you from as much as 3k with 1 shot.

I have done this as well it just seems a little off when Shermans become flack units IMHO.

+1, but there is a way around that.  Attack from above, not the horizontal.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 05:26:58 PM »
It is not always necessarily the case. I hardly use a tank, however I am able to track and kill bombers fairly easily (however I cannot hit a thing with an osti?!?!)
Fighters I can hit in the manner you described.

I have been killed 3k-4k away from a panzer flying at 4,000ft, when I was not even attacking it. Some players are especially good at using tanks as AA.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 06:01:18 PM »
I have no idea what HTC could do to change this.  You might want to make suggestions as to what you think should be altered.  It isn't as though the tank rounds are guided.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 06:08:08 PM »
Very first time HiTech was testing the vehicles, he shot down Pyro, who was flying in a circle 2K out.  That was the very first tank round ever fired in this game.

HiTech still vulching planes in a tank after all these years?  You should have him tell you about his vulching with the T-34 in AW.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 07:15:33 PM »
In these particular instances I was not at the point of attack was heading the other way in fact on one occasion. I understand flying right down the barrel will get you dead fast. This is not the case that I am pointing out here.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 07:18:07 PM »
I have no idea what HTC could do to change this.  You might want to make suggestions as to what you think should be altered.  It isn't as though the tank rounds are guided.
I am in the same boat as you on this one :headscratch: I was just hoping for the best on this issue in terms of an answer. Funny thing is the tank round looked a lot like the heat seeker films from the Vietnam gun films. I swear it looked as if it was tracking although I know it was not. :O
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 07:22:45 PM by lyric1 »

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 08:58:09 PM »
I have no idea what HTC could do to change this.  You might want to make suggestions as to what you think should be altered.  It isn't as though the tank rounds are guided.

When this has come up before someone suggested the main issue was with how the tank optics were handled.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Flipperk

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 09:08:47 PM »
The fact remains that in real life it could happen, there is nothing in the laws of physics that says that this can not be done...granted its odd and unusual but none the less still very possible.
It is 2 Cents or .02 Dollars...NOT .02 Cents!

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 09:23:32 PM »
The fact remains that in real life it could happen, there is nothing in the laws of physics that says that this can not be done...granted its odd and unusual but none the less still very possible.

But it was not logic to attempt for any tank to try. 
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 09:26:06 PM »

Needs reamdomizer, be sure.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline hlbly

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 10:39:41 PM »
No it could not happen ever ! There are two things which would stop this . First the turret . To put it simple it could not track it physically . With any kind of aspect ratio change at all . Second thing is you would never be able to acquire  a plane in the first place . Also you once again would not be able to track it with the type of sight used . The only way I see around this is to limit the optics . You would have to restrict the gunners ability to zoom. That would make spotting far more difficult . So you would need to give the tc better optics . Give him some biono's , give the gunners tpi so you spot with the tc then drop to gunner to fire . The turret position indicator to be sure you have the target in the gunners field of view .
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 10:53:29 PM by hlbly »

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 10:41:43 PM »
Does it really happen so much that it is an issue?
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.